• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forgetfulness

Need it be a poster? Given the width visible and assuming regular "lanscape" proportions, height-wise it would go below the level of the mattress easy, which would be a odd position for a poster, unless it was more of a "banner"? Could it have been a box or something thatd been stowed temporarily down the side of your bed?

Mind you it has the look of one of those 80s Athena posters... Are those tress in the background?

How old were you when you lived there, from what age to what age?[/quote]

============

I'm imagining that it would be a long thin picture running along level with the top of the matress. I lived in that particular house for about 28 years, from the ages of about 12 to 40, which is how old I was in that picture, or thereabouts. I don't know exactly when the picture was taken but it was when I was about 40. It seems to be palm trees in the background.

Searching on Cobmarsh alone in interesting, since almost all the hits refer to the little island near West Mersea, Essex. Since many English place-names are repeated in America and elsewhere, I expected to get a raft of hits over there, but nothing!

Sometimes our memory can play tricks on us. A friend of mine once told me a true Fortean story: He went to the library and found a book called "Strange Lights and Fires," with descriptions of ghostly lights and so on. The next week he couldn't find it anymore, and neither any time after; it had disappeared. His sister had seen the book, too, by the way.

Ever since then, he was trying to find this book. He googled it, he searched libraries and bookstores, but it was like the book had never existed. But he knew for a fact that he had held it in his hand.

I was extremely fascinated by his story, so I tried on my own to search for it. He was right: a Google search brought no results. But then I got a little more creative, thinking that maybe he didn't remember the title correctly. And finally, I came up with it on Amazon. The title: "Mysterious Fires and Lights."

Go figure.

rynner said:
Searching on Cobmarsh...

Found a reference to it! It's in red ink on the back of the 'Thunderbird' photo I've had in the attic for ages! D'oh!

Could the dolphins actually be the lid of a jigsaw box that is stood against the wall?

TommyK13 said:
Could the dolphins actually be the lid of a jigsaw box that is stood against the wall?

No, the picture's too thin; in full screen view I can see that it's thin like paper stuck on the wall.
The thing is it doesn't really matter what type of picture it is; the weird thing is that I just have no memory of it at all. I would have thought that I would remember something about it, such as where I obtained it. I don't remember having the picture on my wall, I don't recognise the image on the poster, I don't remember being given it or buying it. If it was a jigsaw I would still expect to remember it. It's as if every memory of it has disappeared. Either that or it never existed in the first place and it's some sort of ghost.

Maybe it's a "So long and thanks for all the fish" kind of message? Will there be more? Anyone seen any dolphins lately?

If you'd made your bed properly like your Ma always told you to we'd all be a lot wiser.

If it is a picture, at that level you'd see it every time you went to sleep and woke up.

My brother came up trumps!

There is a Cobbs Quay Marina in Poole, just up under a lifting bridge from the Town Quay itself. And that makes perfect sense, as I remember going through this bridge at some time.

It seems my memory failed when I wrote down the trip details - I must have written Cobmarsh (which was a name familiar to me from when I lived in Essex) instead of Cobbs Quay.

Isn't it nice when when a mystery is solved! :D

Slejpner said:
If it is a picture, at that level you'd see it every time you went to sleep and woke up.

That's my whole point - how could I forget a picture that was right next to my bed?

I went out this evening and enjoyed a couple of glasses of mulled wine. Very nice indeed! And quite strong too. Good job I wasn't driving home! :D

Erm, so what's that big green thing outside with the numberplates then? :oops:

Peripart said:
(Because, of course, I never forget anything - as far as I'm aware, anyway)

Mummy, that man's got no trousers on!

Only slightly off topic, all this has jolted me into thinking about an experiance I had in Prague. Some old college mates and I went over there in the October (I think) Myself and one friend found this fantastic bar in the Jewish quater. I remember making a concious note in my head of where it was because I knew the other two would love it. As it happened we never went back trip to it that holiday.

The following February I went back to Prague this time with my girlfriend. I searched high and bloody low for that bar but could I find it? I found the street it was on and walked up and down it about a dozen times. I could not find it! About two months later I met up with my friend who I had been in the bar with, and he too had been back to Prague with his wife, a month earlier than I - He too had gone on a search for it and pulled his hair out looking for it too! Given how very busy and well established the place was I find it hard to imagine that it had closed. It was very bizzare.

Going sideways on the topic. I remember seeing the film 'Where Eagles Dare' when it first came out and being very taken for some reason with the scene in which a German Tiger Tank fires a shell through the bus window (Burton and and others are escaping to the airfield on the bus) The shell passes straight through without exploding. I was amazed when I next saw that film on TV and there was no such scene! Odd!

signalnorth said:
Going sideways on the topic. I remember seeing the film 'Where Eagles Dare' when it first came out and being very taken for some reason with the scene in which a German Tiger Tank fires a shell through the bus window (Burton and and others are escaping to the airfield on the bus) The shell passes straight through without exploding. I was amazed when I next saw that film on TV and there was no such scene! Odd!

There's a scene like that in Tomorrow Never Dies only with a car, but that was released in the nineties.

Somewhere on this board I posted a similar story about looking for an interesting bar in Holland, with all sorts of interesting old stuff on the walls and hanging from the ceiling - it was almost like a museum. But I wasn't even sure which town it was in...

Long story short, I was in a bar in a Dutch town decorated with hideous men's ties (I guess they were unwanted presents!), and gradually it dawned on me that this was the bar I'd been looking for, but now under new management - and management with no good taste!

Back