• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forgotten History

What was the reasoning behind plying Hitler with such drugs? Is this reasoning known?

When Morell first got to work with Hitler, he thought it was a sure-fire way to make loadsamoney. He was manufacturing his own cure-all pep pills (Vitamultin Forte) and obviously getting his feet under the top Nazi table and an official endorsement would mean serious orders and wealth. Once he'd had the luck to apparently fix one or two of Hitler's minor snuffles, that was that, the Fuhrer would only trust him.

I think that was a poisoned chalice - there were obviously other physicians who would have liked the top job, and who were sceptical about the treatments Morell was carrying out. Sometimes Hitler would have recovered without treatment, other times the feeling was Morell's treatments were actually harming Hitler, but in that nest of vipers, getting your opinion across would have been nigh on impossible. If Hitler wanted and trusted someone, there was no telling him otherwise, especially later on when he trusted very few people at all.

Of course, once Morell had landed the plum job, the war kicked off and Hitler started suffering from terrible nervous conditions, along with spending his life in dank, air-conditioned bunkers which meant he always had some ache, pain, sniffle etc. The doctor had to keep on top of these maladies, and be seen to be doing something. No point in telling the Fuhrer to man up and get a bit of fresh air, eat something decent and get a few early nights.

The worst part for Morell must have been discovering, through his frequent urine, blood and stool tests, that Hitler was not just a pussy suffering from man-flu, but someone with serious underlying health issues which could have seen him drop dead at any time (something that Hitler had long suspected, although Morell never informed the patient of his findings). Who would want to be the doctor in charge when the beloved Fuhrer croaked? I think Morell just kept lobbing loads into the mix in the hope Hitler would recover form his ailments and he'd get the credit. If it didn't kill him, it was a partial victory! As long as he was being called to see the Fuhrer every other day, he wasn't going to find himself in Dachau after some other doctor proved he was a quack, so he kept the courses of injections, pills and ointment flowing.

Even in the final months of the war, when Morell managed to wriggle away from the Fuhrerbunker, his successors had to face a Hitler who "knew" what was wrong with him and the best treatment (ie. what Morell had been popping into him), and were hardly likely to be able to convince him otherwise. There's a lot of crap put about concerning Hitler's drug-taking, but he wasn't a hard-core knowing junkie like Goering who was feeding a long-term morphine addiction. Hitler simply demanded whatever pick-me-up Morell had used successfully before, without knowing what was in it, and the good doctor dutifully administered the shots.

Below is a list of the things Morell was giving Hitler, taken from the appendix of "The Secret Diaries..." mentioned above. Because I copied and pasted from a pdf, the numbers haven't come out as text, but it gives you an idea. If anyone is that interested, go read the book, it's a mind-boggling read! How might things have been different if a really talented doctor had sorted Hitler's digestive problems and allowed him to focus on the war (or rather, allowed his generals to do their job, rather than assuming command, micro-managing, then taking to his bed for days with stomach cramps). Just another lucky break for us all.

Acidol-Pepsin
(Bayer) Indicated for dyspepsia, lack of appetite.
Antiphlogistine-Poultices
(Lyssia) A paste to be applied by poultice in cases of inflammation of the joints and glands, pleurisy, bruises, knocks and abrasions.
Belladonna Obstinol
(Dr. Thiemann & Co.) Against constipation in patients with hyper-sensitive intestinal tracts. For use with patients with vegetative regulatory disorders and tendency to spasms.
Benerva-fortissime
(Roche) Indicated: Vitamin B deficiency, neuralgia, sciatica, circulatory disorders with vitamin deficiencies; if repeatedly used in some cases it may result in shock, so it must be very slowly in-jected.
Betabion-forte
(Merck, Darmstadt) Aneurin chloride hydrochloride. Indicated:vegetative disorders.
Bismogenol
(Tosse) Bismuth campho-carbonate, used in treating the neck glands.
Boxberger pills against constipation.
Brom-Nervacit
(A. Herbert Pharmacy, Wiesbaden) When Hitler became excited or aggravated, which was often, Morell would prescribe one or two tablespoons of Brom-Nervacit, an old and well-known tranquil-liser consisting of
percent potassium bromide,  .  percent so-dium phosphate, one percent naphrodyl, diethyl-Barbiturate acid,
phenyldimethylpyrazolon, alcohol, sweetener and aromatics. To prevent a bromine reaction Morell would however prescribe it only during alternate eight-week periods.
Calcium Sandoz
(Sandoz, Nuremberg) Calcium gluconal actobional. Indicated: disorders of calcium metabolism. Allergic disorders. Hæmorrhages.
Calomel Subchloride of mercury (HgCl). “Used frequently for cleansing enemas, which Hitler administered [to] himself,” says OI/CIR/
Cantan
One tablet contained  . pure l-ascorbic acid. Indicated: vitamin C deficiency.
Cardiazol
(Knoll, Ludwigshafen) In , Morell began administering Cardiazol (chemical designation: pentamethylenetetrazol) to overcome the circulatory disorder evident from the œdema observed by Morell
on the external and internal malleoli (bony prominences) of Hitler’s fibulae and tibia.
Normal dosage would be twenty drops taken three or four times a day. Professor Schenck says, “We now know that the effect is relatively short-lived. The drug is still available, but it is not as highly rated as it used to be.”
Castor oil
Oleum ricini. A purgative.
Chineurin
(Hamma, Olmütz) Prepared in capsules by Dr. Kurt Mulli. It contained some quinine, and was occasionally used therapeutically against colds, administered orally to Hitler after a meal, in place of Ultraseptyl (q.v.).
Coramin
(Ciba) Well known respiratory and circulatory stimulant: PyridinB-carbonic acid diethylamide, used like Cardiazol.
Cortiron
(Schering) Chemical name: desoxycoticosteron acetate. Morell injected this intramuscularly into Hitler on a few occasions, to combat muscle weakness and influence the carbohydrate metabolism and fat resorption.
Dolantin
(Hoechst) Controlled by the Narcotics Act. A powerful and effective analgesic and pain-killer.
Enterofagos ampoules
(Antipiol) Indicated: Acute and chronic diseases of the gastro-intestinal tract, constipation caused by bacteria.
Eubasin
A sulpha drug used only once by Morell, since injected intragluteally it caused pain. He used it therapeutically to cure a cold.
Euflat
This was a combined preparation of radix angelica, papaverin, aloe, active bile extracts, coffee,
charcoal, pancreas extract. Morell supplied Euflat pills to Hitler to improve his digestion and combat the meteorism.
Eukodal
(Merck, Darmstadt) Dihydro-hydroxycodeinon hydrochloride. Indicated: For use instead of morphine in cases of severe pain and tenderness.
Familiar since
,a synthetic morphium derivate, controlled by the Narcotics Act. Injected intravenously against epigastric
cramps.
Eupaverin
(Merck) Synthetic alkaloid, an anti-convulsant made from poppies.Indicated: Spasms, embolisms, peripheral blood disorders. Used similarly to Eukodal. Morell would mix .  gram Eukodal with .  gram Eupaverin and inject them as a cocktail intravenously.

Franzbranntwein
An ancient and popular liniment: alcohol, pine needle oil. Still available.
Gallestol Glucose.Morell injected  percent glucose, usually in  cc shots, in Hitler from  to the end, to supply calories. He told his American interrogators that he injected it only every second or third day, but the diaries show he used it much more frequently. He wrote on December , : “By injecting glucose, I’m doing what I
can to strengthen his heart and also to dehydrate the system.”
Glyconorm
(Nordmark Works, Hamburg) Containing metabolic ferments like Cozymase I and II, vitamins B , B  and C, and the amino acids cystein, histidine, tryptophane, and a cocktail of extracts of the cardiac muscle, suprarenal gland, liver and pancreas. Used mainly to prevent pellagra, a nutritional skin disorder, and against vitamin C deficiency, carbohydrate metabolism disorders, intoxication and neuritis. Morell administered cc shots intramuscularly to
check Hitler’s digestive disturbances.
Glycovarin glucose
Harmin
An alkaloid, one of the family of drugs extracted from deadly nightshade (Solanaceæ), used against tremors, but which according to Professor Schenck has no real advantage over other such atropine-based drugs.
Homburg 68o
(Homburg) A stabilised extract from the Bulgarian belladonna (deadly nightshade) root. Indicated: all diseases of the Parkinsonism variety, in particular that known as morbus Parkinson (paralysis agitans).
Homoseran
(Hamma, Olmütz) A preparation made from placenta, injected by Morell into Hitler for the first time on November
,. Morell administered it to Hitler (two ampoules intramuscularly every second day) to ward off his depressive moods.
Prostrophanta
(Probably made by Hamma, but unlisted in any codex.) Each ampoule of Prostrophanta contained
 .  milligrams of Strophantin (q.v.) in combination with glucose and vitamin B complex (nicotinic acid).
Quadronox-Tabletten
(Axta) Sedative.
Relaxol
(Fischer) Indicated: for various kinds of constipation.
Sangostop
A hæmostatic.
S. E. E. injections
(Merck) Later known as Scophedal, and controlled by the Narcotics Act. Indicated: pain killer, tranquilliser.
Septoiod
(Diewag Chemical Factory, Berlin) Prescribed against Hitler’s respiratory infections. A solution of three percent iodine, made up of various iodine salts. The intention was that after instillation, the free iodine would be released and disinfect inflamed areas and increase bodily resistance. Morell injected shots of up to  cc intravenously. He also expected the Septoiod to retard the progress of Hitler’s coronary sclerosis, and he occasionally used it as a
substitute for the toxic Ultraseptyl.
Spasmopurin suppositories
Used by Morell against Hitler’s epigastric spasms.
Strophantin
This crystalline glucoside was used as a powerful heart tonic after the August  electrocardiogram indicated that Hitler was suffering a progressive coronary sclerosis. For two or three weeks at a time Morell injected intravenously with Strophantin daily, and he continued this treatment on several occasions to the end of Hitler’s life. It was a powerful and direct-acting stimulant. In order to reduce the risk of inducing a cardiac arrest by injecting
too high a concentration too fast, it was usually mixed with  cc of glucose (sometimes in the form of the commercially premixed Prostrophanta), and both were injected in one syringe.
Sympathol
(Boehringer)(chemical name: Para-oxyphenylethanolmethylamine.)
Used to increase the heart-minute-volume of blood. After  Morell administered ten drops of Sympathol in a solution to be swallowed each day. Sympathol is only one-hundredth as effective as adrenaline.
Tempidorm
(Roland) A barbiturate suppository. Indicated: Insomnia, sleep disorders.
Testoviron
(Schering) Testosterone, the male sex hormone secreted by the testes. Indicated: anginal disorders, depressive conditions.
Thrombovetren
(Promonta) A heart tablet.
Tibatin
A sulphonamide drug.
Tonophosphan
(Bayer) Supplied in – percent ampoules or .  gram tablets, Tonophosphan was the sodium salt of dimethyl-amino-methylphenyl-phosphinic acid. It was a recognised stimulant for unstriped muscles and was also administered to supply the body with phosphorus. Morell injected Tonophosphan subcutaneously in Hitler frequently during the latter years of the war.
Tonsiosan (Schwabe)
Trocken-Koli-Hamma
(Hamma, Olmütz) A coli preparation developed by Professor Laves of the University of Graz, in capsules, and used as a substitute for Mutaflor(q.v.) as the Mutaflor supply dried up during the war.
Tussamag
(Tempelhof ) Indicated: Expectoration; acute and chronic catarrh  of the upper respiratory tract.
Ultraseptyl
(Chinoin, Budapest) A sulphonamide drug. Its chemical designation was  -(p-aminobenzolsolfanamido)-
 -methylthiazol. Morell would administer one or two tablets to Hitler, each containing  .  gram, with much
fluid, like fruit juice or water, after a meal,against colds and infections.
Vitamultin-Calcium
(Hamma, Olmütz) Its ingredients varied, but in one form it contained ascorbic acid, calcium, vitamin C and vitamin B
,and was filled into ampoules of  cc.Each ampoule thus contained  . gram vitamin C and .  milligrams of B  (aneurin)–minimal quantities which would not even remotely approach the daily needs of an adult male. It is interesting to note that Rudolf Franck’s pharmacological handbook lists as further ingredients nicotinamide and a minute quantity of p-amidobenzoyldiethylamino-ethanol hydrochloride (otherwise known as procain, the cocaine-
like alkaloid now marketed as Novocaine).
Vitamultin-forte
(Hamma, Olmütz) Ampoules of this were first injected by Morell on March  ,,to combat Hitler’s general fatigue. Not listed in any pharmacological handbook, nor are the ingredients evident from Morell’s papers.
Yat r e n
One tablet of Yatren contained .  grams of chinoiforum iodoxychinolinsulphate. Indicated: amœbic dysentery.

One thing if he was getting that lot down is neck he would
not have to wast time actually eating food.

:eek::eek::eek:

There's a lot of crap put about concerning Hitler's drug-taking, but he wasn't a hard-core knowing junkie like Goering who was feeding a long-term morphine addiction. Hitler simply demanded whatever pick-me-up Morell had used successfully before, without knowing what was in it, and the good doctor dutifully administered the shots.

Yes, Ohler definitely makes this point. Hitler didn't really care what Morell gave him and, it seems, was not even aware what the majority of it was. I forget who it was but it was one of his senior officers in the bunker, right near the end, who had to tell him that Morell has made an opiate-addict out of him. Rest assured it didn't go down well.

That is such a HUGE list, I can almost understand why Hitler was psychotic.

Scheiße!

Yep. Morell had two motorcyclists driving round bombed and burnt out Berlin going to the wreckage of every pharmacy trying to get stuff to keep Hitler on an even-keel. Unsuccessfully, before he was ordered away.

The Americans eventually caught him but released him without charge, only half-jokingly postulating that he had actually helped the Allied cause by turning Hitler into a jelly.

This is the most important doorway in Plymouth and it's more valuable than your entire house
By Sarah_Herald | Posted: March 26, 2017

15922391-large.jpg

Plymouth is full of weird and wonderful listed relics – but nothing quite as strange as this front door.
The doorway to number 10 Tamar Street has incredible historical significance, and is therefore Grade II Listed.

Dated 1584 on stops of hoodmould now built into a modern terrace house, the listed feature is the only remnant of the area's antiquity which has survived.
The archway leads to the actual front door (which is made of plastic, and not listed) of resident Elizabeth O'Leary's cosy home in Saltash.

But Ms O'Leary, who has lived at the property for seven years, was oblivious to its historical significance.
"I had some idea it was listed," she said, "but I don't know anything more than that."
The Grade II Listed granite doorway is incorporated into the modern flat at 10 Tamar Street – and is rather out of place.
But Ms O'Learly, who has lived at the property for seven years, was oblivious to its historical significance.

"I had some idea it was listed," she said, "but I don't know anything more than that."

The Grade II Listed granite doorway is incorporated into the modern flat at 10 Tamar Street – and is rather out of place.
That's because by the mid-1950s, Saltash turned towards the task of slum replacement, like much of the country had.
Under Brunel's Bridge, where you will discover Ms O'Leary's house, there was a mix of commercial and residential properties, some dating back to the 16th century.
Only the three pubs survived of the area's old buildings, and a remnant of the town's antiquity survives in the doorway of Ms O'Leary's house.

etc...

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/thi...n-your-house/story-30224491-detail/story.html

One quibble: Saltash is not in Plymouth - it's not even in the same county! :twisted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltash

Great story yeah, but weird...there is a Tamar St in both Plymouth and Saltash. Pretty much opposite each other on either side of the river. You'd think the journos would know that.

I bought a small photograph a few days ago that looks like a WW2 one .. it's sort of sepia toned but that might just be because of the age of the pic itself but it's cheerful looking .. a group of soldiers hanging around at the back of a truck and grinning .. the picture itself is about the size of the top of a matchbox.

edit: I've just noticed they are instead hanging about at the front of the truck, sorry ..

The word VELOX is on the back of this picture as well as numbers that look hand stamped on: 1 618

.. so I did a bit of research on the paper used .. don't hold your breath or anything, I just like to research nerdy stuff like this .. I still haven't worked how to get physical scans placed on my scanner online but this link explains in more detail than you need why these pics were so small ..

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Kodak_Black&White_Printing_Paper.html

Last edited:
I have scanned some old family photos at 1200 DPI and cleaned them up in Elements. I have one of my mum and her twin sister at Junior School and some of my grandad during WWII. I also have two photos of them having a picnic at Loch Lomond in 1928 and their wedding photo from 1926.

I bought a small photograph a few days ago that looks like a WW2 one .. it's sort of sepia toned but that might just be because of the age of the pic itself but it's cheerful looking .. a group of soldiers hanging around at the back of a truck and grinning .. the picture itself is about the size of the top of a matchbox.

Any chance of your posting it?

Last edited:
Do you mean Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, or Royal Army Service Corps? :p

If the latter, this may be of interest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Army_Service_Corps

Thanks Yith and Rynn and they look like cheap UK home defence uniforms to me .. they could also be Polish, I don't know but North Norfolk had a heavy military number of guys around here so it's possibly a WW2 photo .. they all look happy enough though ! :) .. which was one of the reasons I bought it ..

Last edited:
They don't look American but they do look European and I cant be certain it's a 40's pic, it might be a 50's one? .. reading the earlier link I posted on VELOX photo paper, those prints are said to have come out a bit blue instead of sepia ..

edit .. scroll down to the VELOX PAPER titled bit in this link:

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Kodak_Black&White_Printing_Paper.html

looks like standard British Battledress which lasted from the late 30's to the early sixties. Could be any of the Commonwealth countries as they were all pretty similar.

Last edited:
Thanks Yith and Rynn and they look like cheap UK home defence uniforms to me .. they could also be Polish, I don't know but North Norfolk had a heavy military number of guys around here so it's possibly a WW2 photo .. they all look happy enough though ! :) .. which was one of the reasons I bought it ..

I thought the Home Guard was issued with standard battledress ?

I thought the Home Guard was issued with standard battledress ?
Not at first, no .. they were also barely armed in comparison to the approaching German (at the time nazi) threat .. we didn't have machine guns at first either, mostly rifles were standard issue for foot fall dad's army soldiers ..

I can talk about him now because 'he's pushing up daisies' ... one of my patients was Alex Dudgeon, he woke up a few times crying because he thought a nazi was pushing a bayonet into his leg .. obviously that was just a dream, he had a bad leg anyway .. he made me promise not to tell the other patients that he'd cried .. I'd make him a cup of tea and thanked him for winning the war etc ..

He told me some great stories when he wasn't freaking out though, one that made me laugh was a few days after D Day, some french women working in a field lifted up there skirts and flashed their fannys at his troop :) ... but they had serious work to do, he told me later that evening he found a dead nazi with a machine gun as well as jam and flour and stuff in his back pack .. so Alex took all of that stuff and the commander chose a bombed church as a place for them to sleep that night .. Alex dug a hole in the ground and improvised an oven to bake the lads some jam tarts .. then his commander told him that since he was the one that had the machine gun, Alex was on night watch duty that night :cool:

Last edited:
Hmm, not a lot of clues to go on!
Not at all!!

I think I may be able to identify the vehicle...assuming both trucks in the picture are the same type, I think it's a Chevrolet lend-lease C15 15cwt GS with the crew-cab missing.

chevrolet-c15-15cwt-gs-nsu-877.jpg

The side-slung ladder on the nearside rear quarter has a top-brace wire for use against telegraph poles or fencing, so it suggests a military engineering team.

The canvas tilt on the rear flat-bed is covering something large and heavy- it may be rope, hosing or cable, and there is what looks like a cable pay-out drum to the rear (too small for a searchlight....I think?)

None of the soldiers has a rifle close by, but the one sitting mid-rear has a revolver in a holster (yet he's not an officer....which is unusual).

The relative lack of webbing (apart from the revolver chap) or steel helmets makes it a certainty that they're not infantry, but probably corps. Not convinced that they're RASC (but they could be) also possibly RE, REME or even RSigs. Too smooth for Pioneers. And my instinct is to say British Army conscripts, not Commonwealth or Allied Free Forces uptakes.

They are in a rear-echelon position, away from active service, or it's very late in WW2. Colour-scheme of vehicles, and uniform type indicates European theatre, not Far East or Africa. The overall feel for me is that they're not in the UK....just far too casually-posed upon the vehicle (plus they've not got respirators handy, which was very strongly enforced, at all times, within the UK mainland...but became very-lax in Europe from 1944 onwards, when it became clear virtually nobody was using gas as a weapon)

I think they're wearing puttees, rather than leather anklets, which again makes it more likely to be 1942 or later.

Surprising lack of NCOs....but a snapshot in time is just that.

More points may jump out....

Last edited:
If you look closely you can just make out the two buttons on the front and I think you can just see the regimental badge on the left of side cap of the guy in the front.

Not at first, no .. they were also barely armed in comparison to the approaching German (at the time nazi) threat .. we didn't have machine guns at first either, mostly rifles were standard issue for foot fall dad's army soldiers ..

I can talk about him now because 'he's pushing up daisies' ... one of my patients was Alex Dudgeon, he woke up a few times crying because he thought a nazi was pushing a bayonet into his leg .. obviously that was just a dream, he had a bad leg anyway .. he made me promise not to tell the other patients that he'd cried .. I'd make him a cup of tea and thank him for winning the war etc ..

He told me some great stories when he wasn't freaking out though, one that made me laugh was a few days after D Day, some french women working in a field lifted up there skirts and flashed their fannys at his troop :) ... but they had serious work to do, he told me later that evening he found a dead nazi with a machine gun as well as jam and flour and stuff in his back pack .. so Alex took all of that stuff and the commander chose a bombed church as a place for them to sleep that night .. Alex dug a hole in the ground and improvised an oven to bake the lads some jam tarts .. then his commander told him that since he was the one that had the machine gun, Alex was on night watch duty that night :cool:

I fully understand when the LDV was set up anything went . Can you point me to the information where they were issued with "knock off" uniforms I never heard of that before.

I fully understand when the LDV was set up anything went . Can you point me to the information where they were issued with "knock off" uniforms I never heard of that before.
They were given low quality uniforms. I'll try to find a link for you.

Not at all!!

I think I may be able to identify the vehicle...assuming both trucks in the picture are the same type, I think it's a Chevrolet lend-lease C15 15cwt GS with the crew-cab missing.

chevrolet-c15-15cwt-gs-nsu-877.jpg

The side-slung ladder on the nearside rear quarter has a top-brace wire for use against telegraph poles or fencing, so it suggests an military engineering team.

The canvas tilt on the rear flat-bed is covering something large and heavy- it may be rope, hosing or cable, and there is what looks like a cable pay-out drum to the rear (too small for a searchlight....I think?)

None of the soldiers has a rifle close by, but the one sitting mid-rear has a revolver in a holster (yet he's not an officer....which is unusual).

The relative lack of webbing (apart from the revolver chap) or steel helmets makes it a certainty that they're not infantry, but probably corps. Not convinced that they're RASC (but they could be) also possibly RE, REME or even RSigs. Too smooth for Pioneers. And my instinct is to say British Army conscripts, not Commonwealth or Allied Free Forces uptakes.

They are in a rear-echelon position, away from active service, or it's very late in WW2. Colour-scheme of vehicles, and uniform type indicates European theatre, not Far East or Africa. The overall feel for me is that they're not in the UK....just far too casually-posed upon the vehicle (plus they've not got respirators handy, which was very strongly enforced, at all times, within the UK mainland...but became very-lax in Europe from 1944 onwards, when it became clear virtually nobody was using gas as a weapon)

I think they're wearing puttees, rather than leather anklets, which again makes it more likely to be 1942 or later.

Surprising lack of NCOs....but a snapshot in time is just that.

More points may jump out....

Well spotted with the revolver never saw that. What non-officer would be issued with a side arm outside of MP's? Doesn't look like he's part of a tank crew either uniform is wrong.

He had to be part of a unit where standard rifle, etc was not practical.

Can you point me to the information where they were issued with "knock off" uniforms I never heard of that before.
Initially they were issued with no uniforms, apart from a khaki LDV 'armlet'. Or rifles. They paraded with broomhandles and pitchforks, until there were sufficient Lee-Enfields for them to be provided with.

Back