• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forgotten History

canadasmilitaryhist ‏@CanadasMilHist 14h14 hours ago
Veronica Foster, known as “Ronnie,the Bren Gun Girl,” poses with a finished Bren gun at the John Inglis & Co. plant in Toronto, Ontario,1941

C3DoFRtXUAApNRp.jpg

Oradore Sur Glan is a ghost town, destroyed by the SS 3 days after D-Day .. almost every single man, woman and child (as well as some innocents that were only cycling through) were massacred and the town was burned to the ground .. President Charles de Gaul was so disgusted at this action that he ordered the town to be preserved as a memorium ..

The town as it's been left now ..

oradour.JPG

I suspect that without places like this being preserved some bar steward
would claim it never happened.

I suspect that without places like this being preserved some bar steward
would claim it never happened.
They built a second town next to it after the war and weirdly gave it the same name .. I suppose sort of in the same way they built the Freedom Tower on the same sight that the World Trade Centre used to stand on ? ..

I thought we had an earlier post/thread about Oradore Sur Glan, but search turns nothing up.
I guess I must have read enough about D-Day and its aftermath elsewhere to assume this was common knowledge.

It was the starting and ending point of The World at War, so it may be in a thread about tv shows. :confused:

Google thinks I'm looking for odour sur glans . . . :cry:

I thought we had an earlier post/thread about Oradore Sur Glan, but search turns nothing up.
I guess I must have read enough about D-Day and its aftermath elsewhere to assume this was common knowledge.

There's no thread dedicated to the village / event (at least none surviving to the present day ...), but ...

An overview / summary of what happened there was posted in the D-Day 70th Anniversary thread and twice in the
Abandoned, Disused, and Ruinous Places thread.

I know I've talked about Oradore somewhere on this forum before but I can't remember which thread I posted it in Rynn (so you're not going mad).. it might have been in 'ruined and abandoned places' ? .. dunno now ..

edit: have just noticed EnolaGaia's post above.

Could someone please tell me -- in which sub-forum is the Abandoned, Disused and Ruinous Places thread? (I have great problems with the FTMB's "search" facility.)

Oradour-sur-Glane holds a certain incidental interest for me, because of a keenly-pursued hobby of mine – light railways and tramways (I admit to feeling like a bit of a ghoul in indulging, against the backdrop of horror, in something which is frivolous in comparison). Three-quarters of a century ago, the département of France in which Oradour is situated – Haute-Vienne – was served by a network of long-distance narrow-gauge electric tramways, radiating from the département's capital Limoges. One of these tram routes ran through Oradour, and -- like most of the network – was still in use in 1944 (the trams lasted for a few years after the war, but were then abandoned).

The village, kept as it was when the massacre took place, still has the tramway’s rails running along the street in mid-village, set into the street tram-fashion; and the tramway’s overhead electric wires and the posts which supported them. (There are views of these tramway remains, in the various videos linked-to in this thread, and in the "Abandoned, Disused and Ruinous Places" one.) I’ve never been to the place; but if I were to visit it, I’d be unable to help taking an interest in the “tram” stuff: otherwise, this once extensive electric light-rail system has, effectively, vanished without trace.

I think this fits better here than in the RIP thread:
Top Nazi propagandist Goebbels' secretary dies at 106

Brunhilde Pomsel, the former secretary to Nazi Germany's propaganda boss Joseph Goebbels, has died aged 106.

Her job brought her into close contact with Goebbels - one of the worst war criminals of the 20th century.
She was one of the last surviving members of staff from the Nazi hierarchy, who only spoke about her experience later in life.
In a recent documentary, she said she had known nothing of the murder of six million Jews during the Holocaust.
In "A German Life", which was released last year, she said she felt no guilt - "unless you end up blaming the entire German population".

Born in January 1911, Ms Pomsel worked as a writer for a Jewish insurance broker for a number of years during her late teenage years, before taking a similar job with a right-wing writer.
Although she claimed that she had always been apolitical, she joined the Nazi party when they took power in 1933, in order to take a government job with German national radio.
Her skill as a typist, she said, brought her to the role of Joseph Goebbels' secretary in 1942, during the war, when he was minister of "public enlightenment and propaganda".

She described Goebbels as "a good looking man ... a bit short", who was always well-groomed and well-dressed - but arrogant.
She said she was simply a secretary and knew little of the Nazi's brutal actions during the Holocaust.
"The people who today say they would have done more for those poor, persecuted Jews… I really believe that they sincerely mean it," she said in interviews for A German Life. "But they wouldn't have done it either."

But she always maintained that she did not share in the blame for the actions of her superiors.
"I wouldn't see myself as being guilty," she said. "Unless you end up blaming the entire German population for ultimately enabling that government to take control. That was all of us. Including me."
Her Jewish friend, Eva Lowenthal, disappeared in November 1943. Sixty years later, Ms Pomsel discovered she had died in the Auschwitz concentration camp.

Ms Pomsel was captured by Soviet troops at the end of World War Two - and spent the following five years in detention camps, before rejoining German broadcasting in 1950, where she worked for the next 20 years.

She would not speak openly about her time serving the senior Nazi official until a 2011 newspaper interview, and more extensively in the 2016 documentary.

She passed away in Munich a few weeks after her 106th birthday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38793048

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunhilde_Pomsel

Reading the title of this thread was suddenly reminded of the writer RA Lafferty who wrote fantasy/sf stories positing that whole sections of even comparatively recent history were corrupted in memory "were there eight Henrys or eighty?" anyone else remember this? (or is my memory false!!)

Yes I remember that. Maybe there was something similar said in Pavane by Keith Roberts.

Reading the title of this thread was suddenly reminded of the writer RA Lafferty who wrote fantasy/sf stories positing that whole sections of even comparatively recent history were corrupted in memory "were there eight Henrys or eighty?" anyone else remember this? (or is my memory false!!)
A great writer.

The story of Charlie 'Pretty Boy Floyd', bank robber during the great depression and underground criminal hero .. (I only stumbled across this when I was looking for the 80's glam hair metal band Pretty Boy Floyd) ..

The story of Charlie 'Pretty Boy Floyd', bank robber during the great depression and underground criminal hero .. (I only stumbled across this when I was looking for the 80's glam hair metal band Pretty Boy Floyd) ..

Archeological finds during restoration of Falmouth's Chain Locker pub surprise St Austell Brewery
By WBgdavies | Posted: February 25, 2017

The restoration of an historic pub on Falmouth's waterfront has led to some "remarkable" archaeological finds which has delayed the project.

St Austell Brewery are currently restoring and refurbishing the Chain Locker and builders have discovered that not only is the building older than first imagined, but some of the earliest features of the place are still in situ.
This includes an original earth and hair plaster-bounded wall, a timber partition wall featuring hand-painted wallpaper and a stone-built fireplace.

Site agent Tim Frampton was astonished by the discoveries. He said: "I've been doing this for 40 years and rarely do you come across finds like this, especially in commercial buildings that traditionally get rebuilt and altered across the years."

The finds, along with the severity of some of the remedial work required on the old building has led to the delay in the original timeline for the restoration and refurbishment programme.
Mr Frampton said the infrastructure of the main building was in a far worse state than originally imagined, which has caused a slow down to the schedule as new plans to rescue and preserve the site are put into place.

He said: "When we started peeling back the layers of the different building works across the centuries we discovered at least 10 inches of subsidence down the main entrance wall.
"This is something that simply couldn't have been envisaged until the building was opened up. Three extra floors have been put into the building over the years to compensate for the drop and we couldn't have known the severity of the problem until we took these up."

At one point during the works, the entire weight of the building – up to 40 tonnes – was resting on one damp and decidedly dismal brick pillar, a situation that has now been remedied through the ingenuity of the construction team on site.

Plans for a special raft design within a steel frame have been drafted which will be attached to the front wall and enable St Austell Brewery to restore the Chain Locker as close to its former glory as possible.

Mr Frampton said: "Everything is being done to maintain the character and feel of the old place, even down to photographing and marking every single piece of bric-a-brac that came down off the walls so that we can put them back up exactly as they were."

Some aspects of the old place will change, however, due to some unexpected discoveries behind the century old plasterwork.
Sean Taylor, archaeology projects officer from the Cornwall Archaeological Unit (CAU) said: "We were commissioned by St Austell Brewery to undertake historic building recording as a result of the major structural works required at the Chain Locker in Falmouth. This historic Listed Building was thought to be 18th to early 19th century in date but recording by CAU has revealed that the origins of the building may go back as far as the late 17th century."
The team hope that many of these features can be preserved and incorporated into the restoration, although all need to be recorded properly before any works can continue.

St Austell Brewery estate director Adam Luck said they always knew the project would be "immensely complex" but that the "end results would more than justify the work involved."
"These amazing archaeological finds, while they will delay the ultimate completion date, can only add to the character and charm of the building and make it an even more significant attraction in Falmouth," he said.
St Austell Brewery have thanked those around the site, in particular the Falmouth Harbour Commission who own the quay - for their support, patience and understanding as the renovations continue.

Mr Frampton added: "At the end of the day it all comes down to safety. Structural work has to be done in a sequence of events to ensure it is completed in a safe manner. We would all love to get the project finished early, but not at the expense of someone getting hurt."

The building work is now expected to be complete this July, with a grand opening planned to unveil the previously hidden secrets of the old pub as part of the overall refurbishment.

http://www.cornwalllive.com/archeol...tell-brewery/story-30163164-detail/story.html

Photos on page. It's ages since I've been in that part of town, and years since I last went in the Chain Locker! If it's really late 17th century, it must be one of the oldest buildings in town; Falmouth got its charter in 1640, IIRC.

Back