• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forgotten Tube Stations

Some years back I worked on the redevelopment of The Treasury whist it was on Gordon Browns watch. I had a lot of involvement in the Cabinet war rooms which are underground at the end of the treasury farthest from Whitechapel.
On the outside it is heavily protected by a thick slab of concrete, with about 1.5 metres of it protruding above ground level, reinforced with steel railway lines. Under the actual war rooms are the sleeping quarters for those who worked there, some of the rooms are so small you have to be on hands and knees to crawl into them, no good for a claustrophobe.
These were not accessible to visitors to the war rooms during my time on the project, though I did have the honour of being one of those tasked with taking Lady Soames to reminisce around the project, as it was here that Mr Churchill’s family slept during the blitz.

Some years back I worked on the redevelopment of The Treasury whist it was on Gordon Browns watch. I had a lot of involvement in the Cabinet war rooms which are underground at the end of the treasury farthest from Whitechapel.
On the outside it is heavily protected by a thick slab of concrete, with about 1.5 metres of it protruding above ground level, reinforced with steel railway lines. Under the actual war rooms are the sleeping quarters for those who worked there, some of the rooms are so small you have to be on hands and knees to crawl into them, no good for a claustrophobe.
These were not accessible to visitors to the war rooms during my time on the project, though I did have the honour of being one of those tasked with taking Lady Soames to reminisce around the project, as it was here that Mr Churchill’s family slept during the blitz.
You have a very interesting job!

Can the slab still be seen above ground?

Strange that they didn't dig it out another 1.5 metres to avoid the protrusion above ground.

Can the slab still be seen above ground?
Yes. walk between the treasury and foreign office away from Whitehall, at the immediate bottom of Clive Steps turn left and there it is, the bomb protection is seen in the bottom right of the photo.

35BC6F38-2B44-46E1-A597-CCC3ED7108E1.jpeg

With less than a week to go to the opening of two new Northern Line stations in South London,

1_underground1jpeg.jpg

this video is interesting if you are interested in why the Northern Line might have been longer in North London and South Hertfordshire.

Last edited:
Yes. walk between the treasury and foreign office away from Whitehall, at the immediate bottom of Clive Steps turn left and there it is, the bomb protection is seen in the bottom right of the photo.

View attachment 45056
Ah ha! Thanks Tempest63.
I believe it was a bit of a cobbled job, bits added on over the years. Not like Hitlers bunker which was 8 metres below ground and 3m thick.

Back