• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fort In Sport (Odd Sports & Sporting Incidents)

Turkish wheelchair basketball fans brawl at German game

A brawl at a wheelchair basketball match in Germany between rival Turkish supporters left seven fans needing treatment in hospital, police say.

The game was part of the four-day European Champions Cup, a club competition being played in the eastern German town of Zwickau.

About 60 fans from the Istanbul-based clubs Besiktas and Galatasaray were involved.

They began attacking each other with knives and baseball bats. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36242188
It was terrible, after the brawl at least ten people were seen leaving in wheelchairs.

Sometimes it's just not your day...
Jockey Chris Meehan run over by ambulance after getting kicked in face by horse
Helena Horton
5 July 2016 • 4:26pm

jockey suffered a bizarre double stroke of bad luck, breaking his nose in a fall and then suffering a broken leg when he was run over by the ambulance sent to help him.
Chris Meehan, a Northern Ireland jockey, was knocked out when he was unshipped by his mount during a hurdle race at the Merano track in Italy on Sunday. He sustained a bad gash to his jaw as well as the nose injury.

"The racecourse ambulance came up alongside us and reversed up onto my leg," Meehan told The Racing Post.
"I started screaming. It broke it straight away."

His father trains ambulance drivers and many of his family are involved in the service.
He said: "What makes it worse is my father, brother, auntie, they're all ambulance people.
"My father actually teaches most people in Northern Ireland and England how to drive the ambulance! It's bizarre, you couldn't make it up." :rolleyes:

Mr Meehan, who has had 13 winners in his career, described the ordeal, told the Racing Post: "The starter came over to help me because I was on my back and choking on my blood,
"He put me in the recovery position, with my right leg out straight."

However, at this point, the ambulance ran over his stretched-out leg, breaking it in the process.
"Everyone around me had to push it off me. You have to laugh really," he added.

The jockey needed 27 stitches to his jaw and is due to fly back to Northern Ireland today for surgery on his leg and face.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...over-by-ambulance-after-breaking-nose-in-bad/

Not so much weird as completely obvious. America has won it's first gold medal of these Olympic Games. Naturally, it's in shooting.

Not so much weird as completely obvious. America has won it's first gold medal of these Olympic Games. Naturally, it's in shooting.
I noticed that, and thought of posting.

But it was in air rifles, not multi-round assault rifles, so I didn't think it was typical! :twisted:

I noticed that, and thought of posting.

But it was in air rifles, not multi-round assault rifles, so I didn't think it was typical! :twisted:
Well, to be an Olympic sport, it must be popular in enough countries. ;)

Olympic pole vault penis claim denied by Japan athlete Hiroki Ogita
_90815133_05d74e75-17da-45e0-862d-6438295a8969.jpg
Image copyrightAFP
Image captionHiroki Ogita was upset at the media's reporting of and social media's response to the incident
Japanese pole vaulter Hiroki Ogita has described his bewilderment after reports his penis had prevented him from progressing in the Rio Olympics went viral.

A video of the athlete hitting the bar with what looked to some like his penis under his shorts quickly spread online.

His leg had already made contact with the bar but his arm finished the job.

"I never expected the foreign media to take me down like this," the 28-year-old athlete tweeted.

"It's one thing if it was true, but I have to say I'm pretty devastated that they'd go so far to make something up to mock and ridicule me so much." ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-...ia&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

"I never expected the foreign media to take me down like this," the 28-year-old athlete tweeted.

"It's one thing if it was true, but I have to say I'm pretty devastated that they'd go so far to make something up to mock and ridicule me so much." ...
I'd be telling everyone! "Yeah, see that bar 5 meters up in the air? I knocked it down, with my ..."

More than 30 bald men in Japan are holding their annual get-together which includes an unusual variant of the tug-of-war rope pulling game.

Competing "follicly challenged" individuals strived to pull a suction cup, connected by a single red rope, off their opponent's head.

The Bald Men Club has attracted about 65 members from all over the country since it was formed in 1989.

It aims to encourage people to view baldness in a more positive manner.

"My head still hurts," Toshiyuki Ogasawara, 43, was said after taking part in the tug-of-war. "I think I need to ice it! ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39063733?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Plagues of locusts to attack and devour players?

Swarms of locusts could attack football pitches and cause a "global scandal" at this summer's World Cup, according to a Russian government official.

Pyotr Chekmarev said around a million hectares of land in southern Russia was infested with locusts.

Volgograd, where England play Tunisia on 18 June, is one affected area.

"We have learnt how to deal with locusts, but how do we not fall into a global scandal with locusts this year?" said Chekmarev.

"The whole world is coming here. Football fields are green. Locusts love it where there is lots of green.

"How would they not come to the place where football is being played?" added Chekmarev, who is head of the agriculture ministry's crop farming department.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42892596

Another Russian accused of doping at the Olympics:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43109290

Sadly, not that unusual. But the sport he was drugged up to compete in was... curling?! How 'roided and amphetamined up or whatever your drug of choice is do you have to be do play curling?! Methinks he was trying too hard - maybe thought they wouldn't bother with the tests. Because curling.

That pun made my toes curl.

Don't throw the pin by mistake.

A Chinese university has decided to liven up its annual sports day by hosting a grenade-tossing event, it's reported.

According to the China Youth Daily newspaper, the North University of China in the city of Taiyuan, northern Shanxi province, has decided to introduce a "500-gram grenade toss" to its track and field event in May.

One teacher, Li Jiangxi, told the paper that the school had noted the earlier reluctance of students to take part in annual javelin and discus contests.

However, after the school decided to replace these contests with the grenade toss, Ms Li said that there had been a surge of interest.

"Students rushed to sign up," she said. "Some came late and didn't qualify; they seemed really disappointed."

The paper says that the idea originally came from a student called Wu Jianhang, who had written to the school headmaster, suggesting the new activity.

"He told reporters that he liked throwing items; however, when he signed up for the sports event last year, he found that javelin and discus did not suit him," China Youth Daily says. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-43882201

It was bad enough when my classmates discovered fireworks... I suppose Chinese schools have a problem with those too, they invented them after all.

Due to a statistical quirk related to the number of games each time has played this season, the New York Yankees baseball team is currently in first place, but also in second place behind the second place Boston Red Sox.

Attachments

• 2018_06_03_12_15_03_MLB_Regular_Season_Standings_SI.jpg
    2018_06_03_12_15_03_MLB_Regular_Season_Standings_SI.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 19
If he's wrong then his bladder will end up inside a ball.

A pig with "special powers" has chosen the four nations that will reach the World Cup semi-finals - and England is not one of them.

Mystic Marcus, a micro pig from Heage, Derbyshire, chose Belgium, Argentina, Nigeria and Uruguay.

He did it by eating apples marked with the flags of all the other teams.

He correctly predicted the outcome of the 2014 Fifa World Cup, the Brexit referendum and Donald Trump's election, said owner Juliette Stevens.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-44493221

After Gabriela Muguruza won her Wimbledon match yesterday, she was doing the usual signing of autographs on programmes and tennis balls, then I noticed she put her signature on... someone's prosthetic leg. Huh?

Really not cricket to go these lengths to get a game cancelled.

The Leinster Senior League will meet on Thursday evening to decide what punishment will be handed down to Ballybrack after the club falsely reported the death of one its players in order to have an away game in Arklow called off over the weekend.

The precise whereabouts of Fernando Nuno La Fuente were unknown when the story broke but it has now been confirmed that he is alive and well in Galway after moving there in September. He previously lived in Dublin and during that time lined out for Ballybrack. With the Spaniard gone and the team apparently in need of a postponement, somebody decided the thing to do was to tell the league he was dead, the victim of a traffic accident on the way home from training last Thursday night.

“We get calls from clubs saying that somebody connected to the club has died and they need a game called off all the time and there is never any hassle about it,” Leinster Senior League chairman David Moran told The Irish Times. “But things started to unravel here when we followed up on Monday to see if we could get in touch with the lad’s family and see if there was anything we could do. They said the body was already back in Spain which didn’t really add up. It’s a shocking thing to do to get a game of football called off,” he continued.

“We had a minute’s silence at all the other games and the players wore black armbands. You have to have something wrong with you to do something like that.” ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/so...y+policy&utm_campaign=morning_briefing_digest

Now if they just gave one to the ref...... :)

Back