• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fort On The 1755 Lisbon Earthquake?

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Does anyone have any more details on the brief wiki note regarding Fort's The Book of the Damned mentioning the disappearance of several hundred people from a shelter during the 1755 Lisbon earthquake? I don't have the book, and have only read this for the first time today, I have been searching online for any references to what Fort wrote exactly.

These two items seem to be the extent of Fort's allusions to Lisbon in The Book of the Damned ...
numerous meteorites, Lisbon, Oct. 15, 1755
The quay of Lisbon.

We are told that it went down.

A vast throng of persons ran to the quay for refuge. The city of Lisbon was in profound darkness. The quay and all the people on it disappeared. If it and they went down—not a single corpse, not a shred of clothing, not a plank of the quay, nor so much as a splinter of it ever floated to the surface.

SOURCE: Project Gutenberg online edition:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/22472/22472-h/22472-h.htm

Thanks for the source! I didn't expect it to be so brief for some reason, but it's an interesting little fortean anecdote.

Found this great 19th century illustration (artist unknown) whilst searching online.

header-lisbon-disaster-1536x738.jpg

North Wind Picture Archives/Alamy Stock Photo

Thanks for the source! I didn't expect it to be so brief for some reason, but it's an interesting little fortean anecdote.

Found this great 19th century illustration (artist unknown) whilst searching online.

View attachment 36109
North Wind Picture Archives/Alamy Stock Photo
Lisbon destroyed by earthquake and tsunami, 1755
Earthquake and tidal wave causing destruction of buildings in Lisbon, Portugal, 1755. Hand-colored woodcut of a 19th-century illustration.

The 'quay' cited was the Cais de Pedra ('Stone Pier'). This was a large stonework pier (for ships) as well as a popular promenade area. According to the account below the quay didn't disappear during the earthquake itself. Instead it (and all the people who'd taken refuge there after the earthquake) went missing after being hit by the subsequent tsunami.

Immediately after the earthquake, many inhabitants of Lisbon looked for safety on the sea by boarding ships moored on the river. But about 30 minutes after the quake, a large wave swamped the area near Bugie Tower on the mouth of the Tagus. The area between Junqueria and Alcantara in the western part of the city was the most heavily damaged by the wave, but further destruction occurred upstream. The Cais de Pedra at Rerreiro do Paco and part of the nearby custom house were flattened.

A total of three waves struck the shore, each dragging people and debris out to sea and leaving exposed large stretches of the river bottom. In front of the Terreiro do Paco, the maximum height of the waves was estimated at 6 meters. Boats overcrowded with refugees capsized and sank. In the town Cascais, some 30 km west of Lisbon, the waves wrecked several boats and when the water withdrew, large stretches of sea bottom were left uncovered. In coastal areas such as Peniche, situated about 80 km north of Lisbon, many people were killed by the tsunami. In Setubal, 30 km south of Lisbon, the water reached the first floor of buildings.

SOURCE:
Historical Depictions of the 1755 Lisbon Earthquake
Jan T. Kozak, Institue of Rock Mechanics, Czech Academy of Science
Charles D. James, National Information Service for Earthquake Engineering
http://geodesy.unr.edu/hanspeterplag/library/projects/eseas_white/lisboa_earthquake.htm

Here are excerpts from the eyewitness account of a Rev. Charles Davy. See the webpage (link below) for more detailed information on the tsunami.
Rev. Charles Davy was a survivor of this great Lisbon disaster. The following is an excerpt from his account describing his observations of the tsunami : (Source of historical depiction: Eva March Tappan, ed., The World's Story: A History of the World in Story, Song and Art, 14 Vols., (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1914), Vol. V: Italy, France, Spain, and Portugal, pp. 618-628)

"... In an instant there appeared, at some small distance, a large body of water, rising as it were like a mountain. It came on foaming and roaring, and rushed towards the shore with such impetuosity, that we all immediately ran for our lives as fast as possible; many were actually swept away, and the rest above their waist in water at a good distance from the banks.

For my own part I had the narrowest escape, and should certainly have been lost, had I not grasped a large beam that lay on the ground, till the water returned to its channel, which it did almost at the same instant, with equal rapidity. As there now appeared at least as much danger from the sea as the land, and I scarce knew whither to retire for shelter, I took a sudden resolution of returning back, with my clothes all dripping, to the area of St. Paul's. Here I stood some time, and observed the ships tumbling and tossing about as in a violent storm; some had broken their cables, and were carried to the other side of the Tagus; others were whirled around with incredible swiftness; several large boats were turned keel upwards; and all this without any wind, which seemed the more astonishing.

It was at the time of which I am now speaking, that the fine new quay, built entirely of rough marble, at an immense expense, was entirely swallowed up, with all the people on it, who had fled thither for safety, and had reason to think themselves out of danger in such a place: at the same time, a great number of boats and small vessels, anchored near it (all likewise full of people, who had retired thither for the same purpose), were all swallowed up, as in a whirlpool, and nevermore appeared.

This last dreadful incident I did not see with my own eyes, as it passed three or four stones' throws from the spot where I then was; but I had the account as here given from several masters of ships, who were anchored within two or three hundred yards of the quay, and saw the whole catastrophe. One of them in particular informed me that when the second shock came on, he could perceive the whole city waving backwards and forwards, like the sea when the wind first begins to rise; that the agitation of the earth was so great even under the river, that it threw up his large anchor from the mooring, which swam, as he termed it, on the surface of the water: that immediately upon this extraordinary concussion, the river rose at once near twenty feet, and in a moment subsided; at which instant he saw the quay, with the whole concourse of people upon it, sink down, and at the same time every one of the boats and vessels that were near it was drawn into the cavity, which he supposed instantly closed upon them, inasmuch as not the least sign of a wreck was ever seen afterwards.

This account you may give full credit to, for as to the loss of the vessels, it is confirmed by everybody; and with regard to the quay, I went myself a few days after to convince myself of the truth, and could not find even the ruins of a place where I had taken so many agreeable walks, as this was the common rendezvous of the factory in the cool of the evening. I found it all deep water, and in some parts scarcely to be fathomed."

SOURCE: http://www.drgeorgepc.com/Tsunami1755Lisbon.html

I have visited the city only once but have retained the memory that a lot of buildings in the centre are still unstable, as a direct consequence of the 1755 event.

Interestingly and maybe related, there was a distinct lack of "gentrification," the most central parts were still home to an established working-class. :thought:

“The quay and all the people on it disappeared. If it and they went down—not a single corpse, not a shred of clothing, not a plank of the quay, nor so much as a splinter of it ever floated to the surface.”

The 'quay' (and all the people who'd taken refuge there after the earthquake) went missing after being hit by the subsequent tsunami.

Lord Percy: “...my Uncle Bertram's old oak table completely
vanished. 'Twas on the night of the great Stepney fire. And on that
same terrible night, his house and all his other things completely
vanished too. So did he, in fact. It was a most perplexing mystery.”

Blackadder 3

maximus otter

Back