• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Ad?

HappyGlades

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
For UK readers, I was watching a Sky TV channel this afternoon (can't remember which one) and caught most of a strange road safety ad which seemed to have some quite Fortean influences....

SPOILER ALERT

A boy of about 14/15 is walking along the pavement until he sees his girlfriend walking with another boy in the opposite direction. He rushes across the road to ask her what she's doing, without looking, only to be - you guessed it - hit by a car travelling at quite a speed. With you expecting a Tarrant on TV moment, the camera switches to his viewpoint flying through the (unbreaking) windscreen. The boy emerges unscathed and standing on the road as the car speeds off. Then the boy looks towards the opposite side of the road, where the other girl and boy are standing looking very sadly at a pile of wreaths on the pavement. The boy says something along the lines of "that's strange, that's the second time it's happened this week, and it hurt a lot more the first time...." Then a statistic concerning the amount of 14 - 16 year olds killed on the road appears on the screen.

Sorry if this ad is old or it's already been discussed elsewhere on the boards, but it seemed like the most powerful of those ads I've seen, especially with its Fortean connections. Shades of Bluebell Hill?

I saw that advert the other day, it's certainly an interesting idea compared to all the other ones (the only other one that sticks in my mind is where a car made of tarmac morphs out of the road and knocks someone down because they didn't look round, which is just surreal). And I remember thinking it was quite Fortean at the time :)

I saw the ad earlier for the first time. It seems to be played a lot on MTV Dance for some reason (presumably it targets their demographics or something)

Edit : replaced the word "hits" with "targets" because it seemed in very bad taste, though it was accidental I swear! :D

For UK readers, I was watching a Sky TV channel this afternoon (can't remember which one) and caught most of a strange road safety ad which seemed to have some quite Fortean influences....

SPOILER ALERT

A boy of about 14/15 is walking along the pavement until he sees his girlfriend walking with another boy in the opposite direction. He rushes across the road to ask her what she's doing, without looking, only to be - you guessed it - hit by a car travelling at quite a speed. With you expecting a Tarrant on TV moment, the camera switches to his viewpoint flying through the (unbreaking) windscreen. The boy emerges unscathed and standing on the road as the car speeds off. Then the boy looks towards the opposite side of the road, where the other girl and boy are standing looking very sadly at a pile of wreaths on the pavement. The boy says something along the lines of "that's strange, that's the second time it's happened this week, and it hurt a lot more the first time...." Then a statistic concerning the amount of 14 - 16 year olds killed on the road appears on the screen.

Sorry if this ad is old or it's already been discussed elsewhere on the boards, but it seemed like the most powerful of those ads I've seen, especially with its Fortean connections. Shades of Bluebell Hill?

It's a little late, but here is the advert to which you are referring.

As with all road safety ads, it's somewhat troubling:

The twist is rather good and, yes, slightly Fortean.

Back