• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Anime

I can't belive this thread is 14 posts in thus far and I'm the first to mention the rather fantastic Slayers.

Basicly its a mix of sourcereses, swordsmen, dragons, demons and comedy and is rather good (although in my opinion the tv series with Goury, Zelgadis and Ameilia acompanying Lina is superior to the OAVs with Naga)

http://www.inverse.org/

The novels upon which the mangas and anime are based are fantastic too:
http://shopcdsbooks.com/Merchant2/merch ... Code=SRSLY

Neon Genesis Evangelion (widely considered to be one of the best ever)

Evangelion is amazing. I don't have a clue what it was about though! :D :oops:

Those who can stomach extreme Japanese humour should check out Excel Saga. The series is essentially a parody of various anime genres. I wouldn't recommend the hentai parody episode though; it scared me more than Dominion Tank Police.

Evangelion is amazing. I don't have a clue what it was about though!

It is amazing, isn't it?
I was going to joke that it's about "not running away", and then realised that's a pretty good description!

Not running away, and giant Caballah-Powered robots!

Well, they're not strictly robots... :)
I'm waiting till I've seen End of Evangelion before deciding what the hell the ending was about.

Excel Saga looks really good, I'm trying to get hold of an episode to see if I'll like it before buying the DVDs. Foolly Coolly, Trigun and Martian Successor Nadesico are all pretty funny, too.

Hokum said:
I'm waiting till I've seen End of Evangelion before deciding what the hell the ending was about.
It doesn't help, you know.

Besides, it's meant to replace the last two episodes of the series, not explain them.

One I kind of like is Wicked City about the Black Guard, a kind of Men In Black organisation trying to prevent a war between the demon world and the human world.

anome said:
It doesn't help, you know.

Besides, it's meant to replace the last two episodes of the series, not explain them.

Oh, I know. But I haven't made my mind up yet about what it all meant. I'll probably sit down and watch the whole series again once I've seen EoE.

More bargains: Amazon Marketplace has all the Dai-Guard discs for around £3 each, a fraction of the quite frankly ludicrous £20 Amazon is asking for them.

Clicky!

Astral Shores said:
it scared me more than Dominion Tank Police.
:?:

I thought Dominion was great.

Also look out for Project A-Ko - A story of Schoolgirl jealousy and alien invasion.

It doesn't help, you know
When we've all digested it, who's up for an 'Evangelion: WTF?' thread?

And since I've been spending an insane amount of time playing catch-up on the FTMB I can't help but think of 'Serial Experiments: Lain'. It's a slow-burner, but strangely compelling...

I've heard of Lain, what's it about?

Finished Martian Successor Nadesico last night. It started to get weird near the end, with people teleporting (or 'boson jumping') all over the place, time travel and paradoxes. Very good overall, but I think I enjoyed the silly filler episodes a little more than the main plot. I've started on the movie (do not watch the movie without seeing the series, it'll make no sense) but it's very different. A lot darker and several of the main characters have changed a great deal. It could do with taking itself a lot less seriously.

Agreed.

I'll probably sit down and watch the whole series again once I've seen EoE.

That doesn't help either. I developed a slight obsession with Evangelion last summer, and came away with far more questions than answers.

Agreed.

Seconded.

This summer I am mostly obsessing about Cowboy Bebop, which is unspeakably good. But it does mean I have the damn theme tune in my head on a constant loop.

Bebop is truly awesome. You can get the soundtrack on CD, too. Although 'Blue' is very sad to listen to once you've got to the end of the series.

I like anime too!

I have been watching my `Gatchaman` box set from ADV

http://www.advfilms.com/

(the trailer is dull) an early 70s series with a lot of fortean aspects. too many to list really. (mutantsrobotsconspiraciescyborgsmonstersWMDsalieninvasion...gasp!)

Also the collabouration between a french pop group called Daft Punk and an Anime master Leji Matsumoto `Interstellar 555` Space travel, aliens and some rather nifty technology...also homage to just about every anime ever made.

Also the `Cashern` movie (ok its live action; based upon a 70s anime from the same company as `Gatchaman`)

Most amine has a fortean aspect.

Ooh yeah, I forgot Casshern. That's completely mental. The story makes no sense whatsoever but it looks stunning. The anime is supposed to be pretty good. Interstella 5555 is on my wish list.

If you like Casshern, check out Karas (I think there's only a fansub right now, no official English language release yet) it's got fight scenes that are very similar to Casshern but the whole thing is animated. The story is very weird, something about these beings that live in an alternate dimension (I think, couldn't really tell), first part of the OVA can be downloaded at www.animeyume.org. Hopefully they'll do a full series, though I'd be surprised if they can keep the animation quality consistent.

Get it. Its very good.

Oh, and Gatchaman too...its where a lot of what is now routine Anime concepts originated.

(yes thats it...the Tengus coat of invisibility...what do you mean you cannot find it??)

Homo Aves said:
(the trailer is dull)

They can never seem to make a decent trailer for anime. Several I've watched have looked rubbish on the trailer and turned up to be pretty good. Most of these companies seem to follow the Manga model of flashing a bunch of images at you (usually lots of gunfights/swordfights and cartoon boobies) with an awful heavy metal soundtrack.

Edit: saying that though, I'll watch anything that mentions a 'Science Ninja Team' :lol:

not sure if this fits in here, beat ulysses 31, anime of a kind, well worth checking out for those who didn't see it in the 80s on tv.

Ulysses 31 was a French/Japanese collaboration (like Mysterious Cities of Gold), written by a French team and animated by a Japanese studio, so I'd say it counts as anime. Very fortean too, mythology AND sci-fi. :)

http://www.retrojunk.com/ has information on Ulysses and tons of other old shows. You can even download the intros!

How could I forget `Mysterious cities of Gold`??

EvD is good for something after all!

Live action Voltron is on the way: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=10537

Shame that of all the anime they choose to do a big-budget interpretation of, it has to be a super-robot anime.

There has been talk of a live-action Evangelion, though. Weta have some very nice concept art on their site here. The Eva hanger bay in particular is impressive. Unfortunately the project appears to be on hold. Eva would make a great movie if they could find a way to cut down on the filler without losing out in character development.

More on the Eva movie here: http://eva.trivialbeing.net/index.php

Voltron is a rip off of Gatchaman for the toy industry.

(lots of my pals love it.)

Yeah, I'd heard that. Always avoided it, never really got into the whole super-robot thing. I'm watching Space Runaway Ideon at the moment, partly because it's never had an English language release before and I'm curious, and also 'cos the story is faintly interesting (Ideon has a weapon that can destroy the universe - better make sure the safety is on) but it's pretty cheesy.
I can think of many other animes that would make far superior fodder for a live-action adaptation.

I'd heartily recommend Haibane Renmei:

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0380113/

A superb series. Not your usual anime action fare, just a rivetting, thought-provoking and beautifully told story.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is also a must-see, as is Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbour Totoro.

I was really surprised by Nausicaa, one of my favourite Miyazaki films.

Just finished Foolly Coolly. Very bizarre, some beautiful artwork and a great soundtrack.

Haibane Renmei sounds interesting, will track that down and take a look.

I'm currently watching, and enjoying, Bleach, which I download from http://www.animesuki.com through Bittorrent. The story is definitely fortean in nature, but its more of an action/adventure anime than anything else.

Another super anime which might be of interest to forteans is Serial Experiments: Lain.

Back