• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Anime

Mighty_Emperor said:
hokum6 said:
If you like completely mental movies, try watching Versus. That thing is nuttier than a bag of nuts being eaten by a crazy person in a mental hospital.

Oh yeah - team that up with Wild Zero and you have a winning double of full on nuttiness.
Sounds like a fun evening.

Although I agree that Casshern wasn't paced as well as it could have been. Plus the version I saw had a random repeat of a scene in the middle. (DVD may have been faulty.)

Pietro_Mercurios said:
hokum6 said:
... Problem I had with it was the pacing, it really dragged at times. Still a fun one. ...
Still shorter than Lord of the Rings, though.

And it made more sense. :)

Amen to that ;)

(glad I'm not the only one that found those movies a bit...long winded.)

hokum6 said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
hokum6 said:
... Problem I had with it was the pacing, it really dragged at times. Still a fun one. ...
Still shorter than Lord of the Rings, though.

And it made more sense. :)

Amen to that ;)

(glad I'm not the only ones that found those movies a bit...long winded.)

You're not alone. I've tried to watch the first one multiple times and I always fall asleep before I can get to the end.

January 18, 2006

TANK S.W.A.T 01 2nd Trailer and DVD details

(Posted In Animation Asia Sci-Fi / Fantasy Trailer Alert )

Another trailer of TANK S.W.A.T 01 by animation studio, Doga has come online courtesy from Kadokawa Herald Pictures. As mention here before, TANK S.W.A.T 01 is based on a sci-fi manga, "Dominion: Tank Police" by Masamune Shirow who is best known for his works on Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed.

The TANK S.W.A.T 01 DVD is available for preorder on Amazon Japan at a price of 4,200yen (not including tax). The contents that come with the DVD include a booklet (16pages), a special Disc: 'Wired Bob' ROMANoV HiGA works, 'news from the Newport Police Station', 'the world of the Personal CG Anime', bloopers, storyboard and a paper figure of Bonaparte. It will be release in Japan on March 24, 2006.

Official TANK S.W.A.T 01 website
TANK S.W.A.T 01 2nd Trailer (Windows Media Player)
TANK S.W.A.T 01 2nd Trailer (Real Player)

Source: Shirowledge.com

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004839.html

I emailed Manga about a boxset of SAC gig 2 to match their gig 1 release. Answer was "possibly, but not likely to see it until 2007".

Tokyo Underground in March

Manga have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of Tokyo Underground: The Complete Series for 13th March 2006 priced at £39.99. Directed by Hayato Date (Naruto; Saiyuki) and featuring character designs by Yuji Moriyama (Saiyuki; Project A-ko; Maison Ikkoku) and animation by Studio Pierrot (Naruto; Porco Rosso; Yu Yu Hakshu), the mystical, fantasy action-adventure Tokyo Underground comes to DVD in the UK for the first time courtesy of Manga Entertainment.

The complete 26 episode series is featured on this Series 1 box set, spread over six discs and packaged in a deluxe digipack. Episodes are presented in Anamorphic Widescreen with Japanese and English DD2.0 Stereo, DD5.1 Surround & DTS 5.1 Surround audio options, with optional English subtitles. The set also features a special booklet with foreword by Jonathan Clements (co-author of the Anime Encyclopedia) including an A3 pull-out poster.

Synopsis:

Deep down beneath the city of Tokyo, there exists a vast forgotten world known as the Underground. There, people called Elemental Users exist – people who have the ability to control the elements: fire, water, lightning, magnetism and ice. From this subterranean world escape two mysterious but important figures – Ruri Sarasa, the "Maiden of Life", and her bodyguard Chelsea Rorec, a gravity user. Ruri and Chelsea cross paths with two average high school students living in Tokyo, Rumina Asagi and his best friend Ginnosuke Isuzu. It is a meeting that will change all their lives forever. When villains chasing Ruri and Chelsea appear on Rumina's doorstep, a fierce fight ensues and Ruri's miraculous powers awaken Rumina's latent Wind Powers. Resolving to protect Ruri from the evil forces pursuing her, Rumina embarks on a long and dangerous journey of adventure.

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60212

Pre-order:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000E ... ntmagaz-21

A number of new UK releases from ADV:

ADV Films in March

ADV Films have sent through details on their UK Region 2 line-up for March 2006. They have four new titles planned including the first volume of Madlax, a series chock-full of murder, mystery, and blazing girls-with-guns action from the creative team that set the animation world on fire with Noir. Arriving on 20th March 2006 priced at £19.99 each are...

Madlax: Connections - Directed by Koichi Mashimo (NOIR, .hack//sign, Sorcerer Hunters) and designed by the full NOIR team of Satoshi Osawa, Minako Shiba, Satoko Miyachi and Kinji Teraoka, MADLAX was produced by animation powerhouses Bee Train (NOIR, .hack//sign) and Victor Entertainment (Excel Saga, Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, RahXephon). Once again the wonderfully evocative score is from Yuki Kajiura, while the English language version has been put together with the full resources and finest VAs that Industrial Smoke & Mirrors can provide.

The Story:
Female gun-for-hire Madlax is a super-sexy and super-deadly mercenary who makes her living in a nation embroiled in civil war. Margaret, a rich orphan who lives almost a world away, attends school like any normal girl her age. Both of these women live completely different lives but share a strange similarity: they have no recollection of their past. What is the connection between these two beautiful strangers, and what do they have to do with the mysterious international criminal organization and intelligence network known only as “Enfant”?

The DVD includes four episodes in English 5.1 and Japanese 2.0 language, with English subtitles. Extras include: clean opening and closing animations; Japanese promo spots; phone calls from Three Speed; design sketches; unused opening sequence; and ADV Previews.

------------
The remaining titles for release in March include the latest volumes in three ongoing series...

Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU: Full Metal Fracas! - Featuring more explosions, more high school drama, and a batch of hilarious new characters, FUMOFFU really is a whole new Panic! Volume 2 includes three episodes in English 5.1 and Japanese 2.0 language, with English subtitles. Extras include: “The Mysteries of FUMOFFU”; clean opening and closing animations; original Japanese preview; character artwork; Bonta-kun 2006 Calendar insert; and ADV Previews.

Peacemaker: A Path To Destruction - The fourth volume in this mix of merciless action and hilarious comedy by GONZO Digimation includes four episodes in English 5.1 and Japanese 2.0 language, with English subtitles. Extras include: clean open and close animation; production sketches; Character Collections 3 and 4; original Japanese DVD spots; Commentary with Luci Christian (Tetsunosuke), Mike MacCrae (Toshizo) & Braden Hunt (Soji Okita); reversible cover; production foldout insert; and ADV Previews.

Chrono Crusade Volume 7: Hellfire - The seventh and final volume in the unique and thrilling new anime series that merges spectacular action with graphic horror includes three complete episodes in both English 5.1 and Japanese 2.0 language versions, with English subtitles. Extras include: unused on-air opening for episodes 22, 23 & 24, clean opening/closing animation, production sketches, Azmaria’s Extras Classes, character and settings information, and ADV previews.

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60254

Maybe that is a good thing??

<dodges FF fans....yeah, Im a big fan of Amano but...>

tattooted said:
Anime/manga recommendations:

Bleach--boy who can see ghosts meets shinigami, accidently causes her a severe injury, and must take her place fighting bad ghosts "hollow" during her recuperation. ( both anime and manga are ongoing, anime only available in fansub so far, but it will probably be licensed soon-manga already licensed)

It looks like this may be going to get a proper English release:

www.twitchfilm.net/archives/005391.html

Although from the comments:

Those at http://www.bleachportal.com, and at http://www.animenewsnetwork.com, are still treating this as a rumor. I wouldn't worry much until they decide that the this is the truth.

It's headed for Adult Swim to take the place of Inuyasha some time after it's run is over.

So were going to be waiting a LONG time for those R1 dvds. :(

Ghost in the Shell

I noticed there was no thread on this. I just watched this again over the weekend, bought it on DVD. The first time I saw it I thought it nothing special, but i saw it in japanese with dutch subtitles so I figured something was lost in the translation. But on seeing it again, once again I must say I don't get the big deal. If this is the masterpiece of anime, I don't feel very motivated to watch more anime. It still had characters unable to walk and talk at the same time, and those moving backgrounds when somebody moved.
It seemed a fairly simple story, nothing groundbreaking. And don't see that Matrix should have ripped it off except for the shooting pillars and green numbers thing. Admittedly I watched an english dubbed version which was rather bad. Having those long dialogues to explain everything was bad, but they didn't get better when you had them done by someone who had no emotion in their voice. And the english dubbing and subtitles seemed to disagree on a few things.
But what was with the beagle, did I miss something there?
Anyway, someone want to jump in and defend this or is it really just hype?

tattooted said:
(both anime and manga are finished--beware of the the edited US version Cardcaptors--it isn't a dub of the Japanese series)

Uh, say what? It was a really horrible dub, but that doesn't negate the fact that it was still a dub.
It had terrible translations and acting, and the episodes were frequently aired out of order for no reason. But it still was derived from Cardcaptor Sakura. They didn't make up any new animation for it. It was the same show, just horrifically butchered.

I also reaaaaaally question the recommendation of Cardcaptor Sakura in general..it's a good show, no doubt, but to not warn the fact that it is intended for children is somewhat unwise. It is not a complex show by any means, and not really all that fortean..

Uh, say what? It was a really horrible dub, but that doesn't negate the fact that it was still a dub. It had terrible translations and acting, and the episodes were frequently aired out of order for no reason. But it still was derived from Cardcaptor Sakura. They didn't make up any new animation for it. It was the same show, just horrifically butchered.
My point was that those who watched Cardcaptor Sakura in Japanese would not find the same show in English by watching Cardcaptors. Major plot points from the Cardcaptor Sakura show were deliberately edited out for the US market--the closer-than-friends-relationship of Touya and Yukito, the adoration love that Tomoyo has for Sakura, Touyo's past relationship with Mizuki-san, Mizuki-san's own relationship with Eriol. None of these elements, that drove the plot in Cardcaptor Sakura, can be found in Cardcaptors. So, no, I would not call Cardcaptors a dub of Cardcaptor Sakura, because they are not the same show. If you would, then go ahead and feel free...
I also reaaaaaally question the recommendation of Cardcaptor Sakura in general..it's a good show, no doubt, but to not warn the fact that it is intended for children is somewhat unwise. It is not a complex show by any means, and not really all that fortean..
I don't know--mythical Chinese elements, magical use, what DOES make something necessarily Fortean? :roll: Maybe only because I like many things Fortean and I like the show.. Your definition and mine disagree--sorry.

The show is not complex, but it is sweet and satisfying. The relationships of the characters matter as much as the plot, indeed they often drive the plot, but that doesn't lessen its value in my book.

And, I have to protest that many things intended for children are better than many things intended for adults. The targeted age group of a book or show doesn't decide its value, quality, watchability or readability.

Yes, I got a copy of `Final Fantasy unlimited` series. Kids stuff but some delightful imagery (both CGI and cel animation in perfect harmony) nice music and a tolerable plot.

Particularly reccomended if you take sadistic joy in seeing a little girl swung violently round by her pigtails....

Choc full of Forteana, including a werewolf, psychic powers, demons, cybernetics, a truly well imagined interdiemensional subway train, a water monster that looks frighteningly like a giant hagfish, an amnesiac hero and more weird monsters than you could shake a magic sword at.

The ep I watched today contained that truly cute and uber Japanesey conciet, the little boy who is in actuality the soul of a flower.

Get it if only to keep the kids quiet for twelve hours solid.

Various releases:

She, The Ultimate Weapon Vol.2 in July

Manga have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of She, The Ultimate Weapon – Volume 2 for 31st July 2006 priced at £19.99. Based on the best-selling manga by Shin Takahashi and produced by Studio Gonzo (Burst Angel; Full Metal Panic and Hellsing), She, The Ultimate Weapon was one of the biggest anime hits in the US in 2005 and has since become one of the most talked about new anime series on both sides of the Atlantic.

This two-disc set includes episodes 5 to 8 repeated across both discs. Disc one offers English and Japanese language tracks in Dolby Digital 2.0 and 5.1, while disc two offers English and Japanese language tracks in Dolby Digital 2.0 and DTS 5.1 audio. Optional English subtitles are of course present.

Extras include conversations with voice actors (Tetsu and Fuyumi) and a production art gallery.

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=61652

Robotech: New Generation Vol.1 in July

Manga have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of Robotech: New Generation - Volume 1 for 31st July 2006 priced at £14.99. The original transforming robot series, Robotech almost single-handedly introduced anime to the Western world and sparked the transforming robot phenomenon of the 1980s. Now the Robotech saga enters its final chapter with this, the first of two DVD volumes that together will complete the epic 85 episode series.

This two-disc set includes 12 digitally remastered episodes (61 to 72 of the ongoing saga) with new opening and closing credits and including extended footage originally edited from the broadcast version, the discs are presented in a limited edition deluxe slip-case.

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=61651

Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2nd GIG Vol.4 in July

Manga have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - Volume 4 for 31st July 2006 priced at £19.99. The brand new series of Masamune Shirow's ground-breaking cyberpunk thriller Ghost In The Shell continues with this second volume of the seven-volume series offering four more episodes (13 to 16) detailing the exploits of Section 9.

This two-disc set includes episodes 13 to 16 repeated across both discs in anamorphic widescreen. Disc one offers English and Japanese language tracks in Dolby Digital 2.0 and 5.1, while disc two offers English and Japanese language tracks in Dolby Digital 2.0 and DTS 5.1 audio. Optional English subtitles are of course present.

Bonus features include interviews with Kenji Kamiyama (director), Toru Ohkawa (Saito), Takashi Onozuka (Paz) Sakiko Tamagawa (Tachikoma) and Yutaka Nakano (Ishikawa).

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=61638

All available via Play.com at the moment (links from the various pages).

Cromartie High School

Has anyone seen this Japanese cartoon series ? I was watching Volume 1 last night and found it to be an irreverent but strangely enjoyable comedy. The basic premise is that 16 year-old student Takashi Kamiyama is ent to a college for juvenile delinquents (all of whom appear to be in their thirties) . There is a weird mix of students at the college , which includes Freddie Mercury , a gorilla and a robot who believes he is human . One episode in particular has really stuck in my mind - one kid is trying to remember a tune , so his friend tries humming it to him and before you know it the whole episode consists of all of the characters humming the tune. Very weird but very funny.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000E3LIK4/

I enjoyed it so much I'll get volume 2 pretty soon. :D

[Emp edit: Shortening Amazon link]

Yeah, Cromartie is lots of fun. Utterly barmy. There's a live-action film, too, dontcha know.

Robotech: New Generation Vol.1 in July

Manga have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of Robotech: New Generation - Volume 1 for 31st July 2006 priced at £14.99. The original transforming robot series, Robotech almost single-handedly introduced anime to the Western world and sparked the transforming robot phenomenon of the 1980s. Now the Robotech saga enters its final chapter with this, the first of two DVD volumes that together will complete the epic 85 episode series.

This two-disc set includes 12 digitally remastered episodes (61 to 72 of the ongoing saga) with new opening and closing credits and including extended footage originally edited from the broadcast version, the discs are presented in a limited edition deluxe slip-case.

Boooo! Instead go watch Genesis Climber Mospeada, Super Dimensional Fortress Macross and Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, all of which were hacked up, mixed together and dubbed to create Robotech.

I finished watching Megazone 23 recently, an old OVA in three parts. You've no doubt heard how the Wacko brothers used Japanese animation as the inspiration for the Matrix and Ghost in the Shell is most often cited as having the biggest influence. Visually this is certainly true, Matrix certainly took a lot from the character design and artwork (those constantly scrolling lists of numbers...) but it also owes a lot to Megazone 23.

Part I

Part II

Part III

The story is about a biker who gains possession of a secret weapon, the 'Garland'. It's a motorbike that (of course) transforms into a bipedal fighting machine. What the Matrix borrowed was the plot.

Spoiler: in part one it's revealed that the city is actually floating in space and is controlled by a sentient AI. In order to save the earth cities were launched into space containing the entire population of the planet, and the AI is waiting until the right moment to return humans to their home. In the final volume, set on earth, there's a hint that 'the system', which has overall control and decides whether humanity is allowed to stay, is recording and absorbing people and making them part of its programming. Apparantly, the creators wanted to make a lot more of this aspect but it was dropped from the final version./spoiler

In part three the police chase down net-hackers who are disrupting the cities network. We're also shown computer interfaces that plug in to sockets on the side and back of the neck in a manner very similar to the Matrix.

It's a great little series, I'd recommend checking it out. ADV US has the complete collection on general release now.

It's Animation Week in the Netherlands and Ned3 is showing Spirited Away (2001), on TV, as I type. Well worth watching, creepy and touching.

First Shinto children's animation I've ever seen. Truly Fortean.

Glad I decided to tape it.

Arigato. :)

On 29/12 Marketforce/Hachette will be releasing a new partwork , Manga Force Ultimate DVD. Each issue will be £8.99 and include a magazine and DVD. As yet they haven't given me a listing of what the DVDs will be, but they say each one will be a classic of the genre. I'll let you know as soon as I get a release schedule.

First Shinto children's animation I've ever seen.

and contains one of my favourite movie lines ever

"well it was nice talking to you, even if you are my least favourite vegetable"[/quote]

gerardwilkie said:
On 29/12 Marketforce/Hachette will be releasing a new partwork , Manga Force Ultimate DVD. Each issue will be £8.99 and include a magazine and DVD. As yet they haven't given me a listing of what the DVDs will be, but they say each one will be a classic of the genre. I'll let you know as soon as I get a release schedule.

Pretty predictable, but the first 4 issues are :

1.Ghost In The Shell
2.Blood: The Last Vampire
3.Macross Plus
4.Akira

Looks like it might turn out to be a pretty good series.

Only Anime I've watched Is Naruto and the Dragonball series.

I watched Akira once and fell asleep through most of It. :lol:

I want to watch Ninja Scroll I saw a trailer of It and It looked bloody and Ninjas make good anime. 8)

Oh yeah, I've watched One Piece since Pirates are cool.

I just watch them all for free on Youtube. :D

Back