• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Anime

'Evil Mickey' is surely America?

Not quite as old, but...

The Amazing Three

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/anime/tezukas-amazing-three-5410.html

It did have a science fiction premise – three aliens come to Earth disguised as a rabbit, a duck and a horse and must decide if they should blow up the planet, or save it. The design of this show was faithful to Tezuka’s original manga, and the stories were always a fun mix of comedy, drama and action.

I wonder if the dirty pair TV series is fortean even its not the two main characters suffer from a really bad case of bad luck or they are jinxed.

Yes at last robot carnival is getting a dvd release in the USA and memories on DVD and blu ray in australia.

I've been meaning to plug Natsume Yuujinchou for months, now. Natsume is a high-school student who inherits from his grandmother the ability to see youkai and ayekashi*. She was a loner, who took to duelling spirits. If she won, she wrote down their names so as to subjugate them. This list becomes Natsume's "book of friends", and he certainly takes a different approach to them than his grandmother did, although he, too, is something of a loner. Natsume also gains the patronage of a powerful spirit, which normally takes the guise of a gluttonous cat. It's an interesting meditation on difference and solitude and the need for friends and family, and the spirits often seem more humane than the humans. Plus there's a gentle subtext of homo-eroticism (I don't know if that's exaggerated by the fan-sub). All that, plus some genuinely scary moments and some jaw-dropping backdrops. We're about 30 episodes in, so well into season 3, and it is still going strong. Recommended.

*Can anyone explain to me the difference? Google seems unfriendly on this point.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Kondoru, post: 939547, member: 4824"]I got `Noein` for Xmas.

[/QUOTE]

Love Noein! It's brilliant and is a self contained, single season show! I keep going back to watch again and again, even though the music stays in my head for days afterwards! Also like Death Note and Code Gease!

Last edited:
I love Inuyasha about a half-demon boy and a time-traveling girl fighting evil demons all for control of a sacred jewel. I also love Vampire Hunter D, Full-Metal Alchemist and Blood +. Death Note and Attack on Titan are also good.

The Shins - The Rifle's Spiral (Video)

Behind the scenes

Time for a bit of thread necromancy I think ........

Has anyone watched the anime 'Mushishi'? - there are two seasons. It's a wonderful, contemplative, philosophical and highly relaxing series with many excellent stories (one per episode, the main character appears in every episode) and some very beautiful music. There's a good overall summary on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushishi#Plot

At the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of tone there is the equally excellent Monogatari series. It's hard to describe this, just give it a go if you can. Start with the first season, Bakemonogatari. What's it about? Wikipedia will help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monogatari_(series)#Premise

Back