• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Anime

Too cheesy and a lack of blood. :twisted:

Plus no typical anime old men perving on women either. :p

Giant robots, you say?

Gundam is a must. The original Mobile Suit Gundam is dated, but still very watchable. Quite a long series though, worth tracking down the three movies that are a condensed version of the series.
Neon Genesis Evangelion is an obvious one. Then there is the excellent GunBuster, which has the best use of time dilation I've ever seen. RahXephon is amazing, too.

My favourites are Armored Trooper VOTOMS, Megazone 23, Mobile Suit Gundam War in the Pocket and the awesome Space Runaway Ideon, which was made by Gundam creator Tomino and has one of the most depressing endings ever.

MaxMolyneux said:
Too cheesy and a lack of blood. :twisted:

Plus no typical anime old men perving on women either. :p

Megazone is quite violent, and GunBuster has nudity, which is a shame because it's completely unnecessary.

Dunno Robot Manga looks too cheesy and weird.

I'll just stick to Ninja ones for now. 8)

i almost got to see Urotsukidoji 2 the other night, but my friend's video copy had wonky sound, so we gave up after the first few minutes...

...which was enough to turn me as red as a beetroot, at the sight of the 60ft high throbbing nazi orgone cock type thing :oops: i knew those films were way out, just didn't expect quite so extreme so quickly :shock:

MaxMolyneux said:
I'll just stick to Ninja ones for now. 8)

Watch Berserk. Great story and characters and lots of ultra-violent fighting. Ending is rubbish though.

hokum6 said:

Don't know what to make of a live action film . The original version was harrowing stuff - probably one of the most disturbing films I have ever watched , but one of my favourites. I have only seen it once , and it really moved me in a big way , so much so that I don not know if I could ever watch it again , but still , it remains a true classic.

Re: And one about a guy who joins the first space corp. (tit

King Sprout~ said:
I think the film Fenris is referring to must be Wings of Honemaise (spelling?) which came out in the late '90s. An amazing piece of animation - set in a parallel Japan where they were trying to get a man into space, but the neighbouring countries thought they were building a weapon and declared war. The race was on to finish the countdown before the enemy overran the base.

I'd recommend Castle in the Sky by Hiyao Miyazaki (now available on DVD) - you already mention Porco Rosso, Mononoke and Spirited Away so you're familiar with his work.

Appleseed by Masamune Shirow is worth a look if you can find it.

I think the general public opinion of Anime is that it's all Pokemon, Battling Siezure Robots and demons fiddling with schoolgirls.

Wings of Honemaise man its been a long time sins i seen that. I like to see Wings of Honemaise get dam good dvd release.

BlackRiverFalls said:
i almost got to see Urotsukidoji 2 the other night, but my friend's video copy had wonky sound, so we gave up after the first few minutes...

...which was enough to turn me as red as a beetroot, at the sight of the 60ft high throbbing nazi orgone cock type thing :oops: i knew those films were way out, just didn't expect quite so extreme so quickly :shock:

lol Urotsukidoji 2 extreme for you but on a more serious note Urotsukidoji 4 gos to far the bffc had to ban it beocs it had seens of kids being abused and kids riping woman apart i was shockt when i read about it.

<gives evil leer> I got `Wings of Honemaise`

I had to raid the museum of retrotech in order to find a VCR to play it on though!

Its a nice little film, but nothing to shout over, its got one of the best visualised rocket launches in animation though.

I also have finished `Ergo Proxy`

Talk about the decadence of Japan, everything except the dialog is in English!

and the storys cliche, and the animation though uptodate is nothing stupendous.

(and the hero lives...)

But I think it typifies what I have always said about Good Anime, it should blend drama and farce equally.

even in serious moments you will get a grin, and some eps are rib ticklingly funny. Even though they are humour, they are used to both explain and advance the plot.

I want a yacht again!

ive got afro samurai directors cut and i got it signed by Takashi Okazaki at the london expo to day.

Big Robots? Try Tenga Toppen Gurren Lagann. It's the only anime I have ever seen where giant robots end up throwing entire galaxies at each other!

Other anime recommendations from me(not all fortean though)
Claymore, Darker Than Black, Death Note, Dragonaut the Resonance, Shakugan no Shana, Chobits, Lovely Complex, One Piece, Hellsing, Samurai Champloo, Seirei no moribito, Bleach, Naruto

They are all on bittorent, some on fansubTV and a few you can actually buy.

sorry, no, but I have read the books

its certainly appropriate for anime

yeah, i may have to check it out at some point... not to dis either of the movies (which i love dearly) but it'd be nice to see a treatment that sticks closer to the original stories...

i've got quite taken with Paranoia Agent of late... it took a bit of getting into but it's got me well hooked now... a nicely thought out bit of high weirdness :D

Just caught this on youtube.

Lovely stuff, and the facial expressions are a joy. (Okay, so, I'm easily pleased.) One of the comments points to 4.15, and I have to agree - the sequence of expressions resulting from the umbrella's unexpected unfurling had me howling.

I'm going to have to watch it again.

I got `Noein` for Xmas.

Its got some kickass fights, a great soundtrack, happy platonic relationships between cute girls and cute men, kitty cats, a sculder and mully team, a delightful dystopia, a delightful antiutopia, decent animation....

Oh, and Quantum physics...dont forget the the Quantum!

(But please forgive them for spelling TORC, TORQUE.....)

Its set in the real town of Hakodate, with an amusingly amateur video series as the Director and VA go to explore the town. (only decent extra there is)

get the box set (10+ hours footage for the price of a blockbuster movie) the individual discs are not all availible region two

Requiem from the Darkness is quite good, watched most of season 1 and the episodes get a little formulaic but oherwise freaky, well creepy and some good twists.

Appently based on Natsuhiko Kyogoku's Hundred Stories.

I really like Code Geasse : Lelouch Of The Rebellion and Noein - both rather good!

Hmm, I've been drinking pine tar extract (as cough medicine) and now I'm feeling a bit peculiar and smelling a bit like turpentine, so anyway I'm just going to maybe update this thread a bit until I'm not feeling so dizzy and weird and whatnot.

So, Fortean anime, that is Fortean, hmm.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: (This is really quite Fortean.) The story of a well-meaning but annoying Japanese high school girl (Haruhi), who is unwittingly omnipotent. That is to say, she basically has "Q Continuum" abilities, but she doesn't realize it. Her whims and moods and daydreams can alter the fabric of reality. She must never realize she has this power, because if she did, it would be... very not good. An alien super-intelligence is monitoring her activities, and trying to make sure that she doesn't get too many loopy ideas. Unfortunately Haruhi is obsessed with strange phenomena, which is a problem. A time-traveler and and esper also show up, both also striving to prevent Haruhi from thinking about anything too wacky. Haruhi's mopey and dickless sort-of boyfriend is similarly tasked with this task. He is the narrator, and he mopes a lot. It is pretty much okay.

Spice and Wolf: The story of an amoral sociopathic peddler, and his dipsomaniac shape-shifting wolf-goddess girlfriend. Set in a sort-of Europe during the sort-of Dark Ages. Problems arise because the peddler is not a total bastard, in spite of his greedy, sneaky little prick persona it turns out that deep down he is really a nice guy, which sort of pisses him off, and he frequently is conflicted between profit motive and doing the right thing, and also his girlfriend just wants to get drunk off her ass all the time, and vomit and eat apples and vomit some more. Also neither of them want to acknowledge their feelings for each other, and so each day is a charade of petty bickering and shenanigans, and each night is a purgatory of silent yearning and loud puking. All in all it is very wistful and poignant, you will probably like it.

Sora No Woto (Sound of the Sky): Set in a distant future, on a quite possibly doomed Earth. The world's ecosystem is in decline, and civilization is gradually fading. War may be impending, naive young recruits do their best to stay true to themselves, there is innocence and also lots of poignant wistful stuff, you will probably like it.

Watamote: The story of a high school girl who suffers from extremely severe social anxiety disorder. Very dark comedy, hilarious and disturbing at the same time, poignant, wistful, you will probably like it.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned my all-time favorite anime, Serial Experiments: Lain.

Lots of Fortean subjects in that one - ghosts, omens, bi-location, conspiracies, MIB's, psychic activity - the whole shebang. What I love most about it is the quiet, foreboding atmosphere that shapes the whole series.
From wiki:
The first ripple on the pond of Lain's lonely life appears when she learns that girls from her school have received an e-mail from Chisa Yomoda, a schoolmate who had committed suicide.
...which gives a good indication of the mood of the series.

A similar good one is Ghost Hound

My current favorite is Meganebu!, but that's not even remotely Fortean. :lol:

Dreeness - good luck with that pine tar. Hope the effects are worth the smell!

Can anyone here please help me find the title of a bizzare anime film a mate showed me sometime in the late 80's to early 90's back when everyone called it Manga?

I can't remember the title of it but the details were quite distinctive and involved a Dracula looking type castle, a priest and another bloke visiting the raven haired owner, she turns out to be some sort of demon who eventually reveals that she has two erect penis's and glowing eyes. The only line I remember from it was from one of the blokes hilariously subtitled as saying "No! .. don't double dong me!". One of the blokes has his head ripped off and thrown out of the window. Fun times.

Some anime trailers...
____

Sukitte ii na yo (Say "I Love You"): Socially alienated girl falls for handsome, well-meaning boy. But is it love, or pity? Poignancy and wistfulness in abundance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqaWce2k_Is

____

Sound of the Sky promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4vwmDUFxL8

____

Girls Und Panzer: Exactly what it says on the tin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVgmB3WNQrM

____

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad: A bunch of feckless young ne'er do wells start a trashy rock n roll band. Will they find stardom, or get killed by a maniac?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYy5nEdkRBg
____

Eden of the East: Mystery! Suspense! Terrorism! Paranoia! Conspiracy! Missiles! Chaos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfQ4e1iRoak
____

The Garden of Words: You want poignant and wistful? This flick has it in spades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTTRweJ7jVs
____

The Place Promised In Our Early Days: Our universe is being displaced by another dimension, and therefore we're probably screwed. Some feisty kids decide to do something about it, but will it be enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TfaSrWDv4s
____

Watamote promo: Poor little Tomoko, even the simplest social interactions cause her to go into total brainlock. She is so painfully shy that she can barely function in society. We should feel nothing but infinite sympathy for her.

...Why is it so damn funny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSDm3c-_UL8
____

Spice and Wolf promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wINa_YZj-kg
____

(edited to add)

In case anyone wants to try pine tar extract:

http://www.siroplambert.com/en/ingredie ... canada.php

:cross eye

''Early Japanese Animations: The Origins of Anime (1917-1931)''
June 4th, 2014

Anime has a far longer history than you might think; in fact, it was at the vanguard of Japan’s furious attempts to modernize in the early 20th century. The oldest surviving example of Japanese animation, Namakura Gatana (Blunt Sword), dates back to 1917, though much of the earliest animated movies were lost following a massive earthquake in Tokyo in 1923.

http://www.openculture.com/2014/06/early-japanese-animations-the-origins-of-anime-1917-1931.html

What is that 1936 reference about? America didn't attack Japan in 1936...did they?
About all they did at that time was a trade embargo.

I had wrongly assumed anime/manga was an entirely post-WW2 phenomenon for Japan. Most interesting, thanks for this insight.

My own rather more contemporary favourites include 'Akira' (of course), 'Project A-Ko', and the very memorable ' My Neighbour Totoro'. I feel that Totoro is one of these animated characters that are so nearly mainstream, but still sufficiently sub-cult as to retain an aura of additional mysteriousness.

What is that 1936 reference about? America didn't attack Japan in 1936...did they?
About all they did at that time was a trade embargo.
China was at war with Japan in 1936. Is 'Evil Mickey' Imperial China?

Back