• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Antwerp?

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Mornin' all,

I've got a short visit to Antwerp coming up, anybody been there before?

Any recommendations for unusual attractions gratefully received.

Mornin' all,

I've got a short visit to Antwerp coming up, anybody been there before?

Any recommendations for unusual attractions gratefully received.
I went there on a coaster once, but I didn't get ashore. We went up a canal which headed roughly east, and I was surprised at one point to find we were on a viaduct over a valley, with quite a busy road running underneath us!

I've been looking at maps to try to identify the place. The best bet seems to be where the N19 road passes under the canal, but I could be wrong. Still, it was pretty cool to be on a (small) sea-going ship, and sailing above the landscape! :D

Antwerp was amazing, so was Bruges.

The most Fortean thing we did was visit the Bruges Torture Museum...but the beer! My god, the beer.

I was in heaven. I knew brewing was a big deal in Belgium, but had no idea it was so ingrained (ho, ho). Everybody was sipping beer all the time, it was like wine in France or coffee in the US. I've just checked my beer app (Untappd), and I checked-in almost thirty different beers in two-and-a-half days.

:revelry:

And every single one was at least 8.5%, some were up near the 15% mark. I should add though, they don't come in pints. Most were 33cl.

We did a 'Beer Walk' tour around Antwerp on Saturday night, which was four-hour tour of the city, through the lens of it's brewing history - punctuated by regular stops at bars to sample different brews related to the tale the chap had just been telling us. A great way to see a city!

Look for info about the V2 bombardments. And there is an area with totally over the top authentic Art-Deco mansions. And the print museum.

Back