• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Bizarre Paintings Of Mecha Robots And Werewolves Attacking East European Peasants Of The Early 20th Century

The Polish artist Jakub Rozalski, who goes by the sobriquet “Mr. Werewolf,” has produced an amusing series of steampunk-ish canvases in which serene and idyllic rustic landscapes of what seem to be Eastern Europe (Rozalski’s very back yard, you might say) in the early decades of the 20th century feature the prominent and inexplicable existence of completely fictitious giant mecha robots.

730.jpg

http://designyoutrust.com/2016/12/b...-european-peasants-of-the-early-20th-century/

Forget if we've covered him further back in the thread... I was quite taken with Stanislav Szukalski after I saw his interpretation of Copernicus in an issue of Fortean Times many moons ago... had the page copied and enlarged and had it on my wall for a while, until I managed to get my mitts on a proper print... the FT version was well cropped and left out a lot.

This image of it I found online crops off the lower part... still amazes me, sort of a Godstar Copernicus:

c1095758b6.jpg

COLLECTABLE HIERONYMUS BOSCH FIGURINES
12:24 pm

I’m not a big knickknack person. I like to keep my home sparse in the “tiny objects” departament. But I must admit I really do dig these Hieronymus Bosch figurines. They’re kinda cool-looking in their own obviously weird way. I especially like the ones from Bosch’s Garden of Earthly Delights.

They’re also not too expensive. The figurines start at around $45, depending on quality, size and detail. I’ve posted a range of different figurines and where to purchase below each image if you’re interested.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/collectable_hieronymus_bosch_figurines

Bosch himself'd've LOVED those.

They're very good. Who makes them? I didn't find that in the article.

Edit: Aha! The National Gallery sells them.

http://uair01.blogspot.nl/2017/01/per-kirkeby-overpaintings.html

Last weekend I fond a wonderful old book in the Rotterdam library: Per Kirkeby: Übermalungen, 1964-1984. The book contains deliberate overpaintings (Overmalinger, Übermalungen) of second-hand kitsch paintings. The interventions reveal or enhance the landscapes that hide under the surface.

I think I understand, though I couldn't describe it so poetically. I think sometimes I do something similar, but not on canvas. I'm no good at painting on canvas, but am good at painting objects - tables, chairs, flower pots, that kind of thing. When I see a certain object, there seems to be a pattern or structure hidden within it that begs to be painted.

I used to sell quite a few of these painted objects, and people would ask how I'd made up the patterns. It sounds too weird to say that the pattern was there all along, so I'd just shrug my shoulders and look mysterious. :p

Dante and Virgil in Hell. William-Adolphe Bouguereau, 1850
Oh! That must be Ugolino and Ruggieri :eek:

You need to know I was Count Ugolino,
And this is the Archbishop Ruggieri.

His mouth raised up above his savage meal,
That sinner wiped his lips upon the hair
Of the head that he had chewed on from behind.

Recently I saw a similar painting in Dordrecht (Paolo and Francesca). Notice the similar posture of the pilgrims :p
francesca.jpg

Agostino Arrivabene - Visionario splendido (Beautiful visionary)

16426215_1650739515229463_6572696119068251327_n.jpg

Bugger the painting - I just love that fireplace! :D

Back