• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Edvard Munch's "The Scream"

MaxMolyneux said:
Not a bad painting either. :yeay:

Well, once you see the darn thing you never, ever forget it.

Previous to "The Scream," Munch's most famous painting was a rather cheerful and colorful one of two young girls promenading on a "sunny day." But the light's decidedly odd, and it was just recently (I think) realized that it's the MIDNIGHT sun.

LINK
Norwegian police find Munch's "The Scream"

OSLO (Reuters) - Norwegian police recovered "The Scream" and another stolen masterpiece by Edvard Munch on Thursday, two years after the works were seized from a museum by gunmen.

"We are 100 percent certain they are the originals," police chief Iver Stensrud told a news conference. "The damage was much less than feared."

"The Scream" depicts a terrified figure under a blood-red sky. The other, "Madonna," shows a bare-breasted woman with long black hair. Two armed men broke into the Munch Museum in Oslo in August 2004 and yanked the two works from the walls in front of dozens of terrified tourists.

The paintings, both from 1893, have been missing even though three men were convicted in May of taking part in the theft and were sentenced to up to eight years in jail. Two of them were ordered to pay $122 million in damages.

The San Antonio Central Library (aka the Enchilada) contains a gallery on the first floor where local artists, schools, craft groups, etc., are displayed on a rotating basis. I don't know anything about art (I don't even know what I like) and am usually frantically running around letting books hop into my backpack at the tail end of my lunch hour, so I often skip it, but for some reason yesterday I let myself get sucked in. The artist was a local by the name of Duran, and I liked him very much, partly because his works has a lot of San Antonio referencing.

Most of the paintings were all-original, but some were satirical pieces that he called "archivals." Apparently (I had no idea about this; it's all explained in a little note in one corner of the room), museums routinely make outlines of famous paintings available to artists, to act as a basis for making reproductions with real canvas and real paint. Duran's archivals involved copying the original paintings with changes that ranged from the subtle (superimposing Van Gogh's self-portrait onto Starry Night) to the extreme (casting Renoir's Breakfast of the Boating Party as a Dia de los Muertos party, with everybody except the dog, the waiter, and the woman leaning on the rail transforming into jolly skeletons).

The relevant one here is called "Roswell Scream," and is a mostly-faithful reproduction of the Munch painting, with the eyes a little more almond-shaped and a crashed saucer in the background.

As my husband says, this is so obvious in restrospect.

As far as I can tell, Mr. Duran has no web presence. If he did, I'd link and you could see for yourselves. It's not often I walk away from pictures wishing I could take one home. For one thing, walls are for putting bookshelves against, not wasting space hanging pictures.

PeniG said:
For one thing, walls are for putting bookshelves against, not wasting space hanging pictures.

Author, Author, whatever gave you that idea? :roll:

-

“I felt as though a vast, endless scream passed through nature,” wrote Norwegian painter Edvard Munch. This week it passed through again, appearing in a freshly sawn plank.
7d7d8284e3f5ec8f251ef2993513579433580ff593d67b4f0cecb87456be721a.jpg
Munch-Scream-Simulacrum.jpg

http://www.thelocal.no/20151017/the-scream-appears-in-a-piece-of-firewood

Last edited by a moderator:
Edvard Munch wrote 'madman' graffiti on Scream painting, scans show

Artist Edvard Munch wrote mysterious graffiti on his painting of The Scream, infrared scans have shown.

A small and barely visible sentence written on one of the world's most well-known paintings has been the cause of much conjecture in the art world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-56127530

Back