• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Two more Simon Stålenhag books on the way, including one currently on Kickstarter-

https://www.polygon.com/2020/10/19/...alenhag-next-book-the-labyrinth-eurpoa-mekano

31_fb_08_01_render.jpg

And another one from another artist. Also very interesting. I didn't have time to finish all the puzzles, but by standing in the right place in the right time, you could trigger a film fragment. All very mysterious, romantic and haunting. I will come back to finish it all.
https://gayatrikodikal.com/The-Travelling-Hand-1
https://tthgame.tumblr.com/

1604250740583.png

1604249055997.png
1604249138145.png

Last edited:
And another one from another artist. Also very interesting. I didn't have time to finish all the puzzles, but by standing in the right place in the right time, you could trigger a film fragment. All very mysterious, romantic and haunting. I will come back to finish it all.
https://gayatrikodikal.com/The-Travelling-Hand-1
https://tthgame.tumblr.com/

View attachment 31140View attachment 31141
That looks very cool!

This is a long blog post about "hauntological" music and painting. If you're into postmodern ghostly interpretation of Boards of Canada and Peter Doig then you'll like this. (I like it :) )
http://rougesfoam.blogspot.com/2009/10/hauntology-past-inside-present.html?m=1

I probably don’t need to emphasise the relationship between ghosts and aging technology, but it’s no surprise that since the late twentieth century, as DVD, digital radio, digital recording, digital cameras, digital television and mobile phones were coming onto the scene, noisy ghosts started coming out of videotapes (the Ring), analogue radio (Frequency), analogue noise on television and audio tape (White Noise and Fissures), cameras (Shutter), telephones (One Missed Call), television transmissions (Dead Waves) and even the internet (Pulse). Nor is it surprising that films like these often originate from Japan, a culture traditionally devoted to both frontline technology and all kinds of spirits and vengeful ghosts. One day soon we’ll probably be haunted by ghosts made of jpeg compression artifacts once they too become a thing of memory and nostalgia, but in one case they’re already here.

And you can listen to it on Soundcloud:

Last edited:
If you don't know the art of Neo Rauch you should take a look here:

Interview with Neo Rauch (alejandradeargos.com)

The unconscious is a never-ending source of imageries that seem to just be waiting to reveal themselves in my paintings. It’s an area where things are still all jumbled together and don´t have specific intentions, material that the painter is allowed to configure at will.

Well, the symbols in my paintings are more likely extracted from the collective subconscious, or if you prefer, the Akasha –that ethereal undercurrent that links us all and carries everlasting images. Of course, both contain the pictorial materials of the sources you mentioned, even though I may not address them in a conscious manner. I would define myself as an atheist with occasional bursts of pantheism. As a painter, what matters to me is irrationality as a reservoir of inspiration. As someone living in the present times, however, and as a witness to the irrational events of religious origins that have taken place, I am determined to seek out my salvation in the ideals of the Enlightenment.

1608553472955.png

The painting The Whole City by Max Ernst (2 April 1891 – 1 April 1976)
I think might be inspired by a theater design by German visionary architect Wassili Luckhardt
(22 July 1889 in Berlin – 2 December 1972 in Berlin)

The Whole City:
image913.jpg

Luckhardt's theater design:
DCslAGNWAAEEI9H.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That reminds me of the Scott Smith horror novel The Ruins (also turned into a film).

During the winter holiday I researched artists that use webcams for their art.
Then I made a summary and a taxonomy.
There are a lot of weird things going on here:

Urban Adventure in Rotterdam: From a strange planet - 27 (uair01.blogspot.com)

Screenshot (48).png

For example:
For "The New Town" Andrew Hammerand gained access to a networked camera in a planned community in the American Midwest. For about 18 months he operated the camera and made tens of thousands of pictures. Through the grainy, long-distance lens of a security camera, however, the views take on subtly nefarious undertones. A man Mr. Hammerand spotted working with a hammer looks, in one photo, like he’s about to commit some terrible crime.

Or:
Addie Wagenknecht and Pablo Garcia direct adult performers to pose in copies of paintings by Egon Schiele, Modigliani, Botticelli and others.

What about Mulders poster in X-Files. Magic The Gathering Cards have a lot of Forteanesque art on them.

That reminds me of the Scott Smith horror novel The Ruins (also turned into a film).
read the book I still have to watch the movie. I was reading in night and I heard those spooky birds outside my house it was like that part of the book was really happening in my bedroom.

read the book I still have to watch the movie. I was reading in night and I heard those spooky birds outside my house it was like that part of the book was really happening in my bedroom.

The movie's underrated, they change the book ending but I didn't mind. Give it a look.

The link between artistic creativity and psychopathology: Salvador Dalí

Throughout history, some of the most prominent artists have been linked to mental illness. Salvador Dalí, the well-known Surrealist artist, was ‘famous’ for his ‘craziness’ in both his shocking art and persona. Information on his behaviour and art comes from various sources such as his autobiography; literary texts; published interviews with friends, family, and the artist himself; letters; and data on his family history. Here, in addition to a descriptive analysis of such data, a formal diagnosis exercise was attempted, using two psychiatric assessment procedures: a computer program investigating the presence of psychotic disorder (OPCRIT) and a personality disorder questionnaire (PDQ-R). Dalí was found to meet the diagnostic criteria for several DSM Cluster A and Cluster B personality disorders, as well as for psychotic illnesses. However, these results should be treated with caution, given the ‘hall of mirrors’ Dalí inhabited and the deliberate persona he projected on to the world.

The link between artistic creativity and psychopathology: Salvador Dalí - ScienceDirect

Throughout history, some of the most prominent artists have been linked to mental illness. Salvador Dalí, the well-known Surrealist artist, was ‘famous’ for his ‘craziness’ in both his shocking art and persona. Information on his behaviour and art comes from various sources such as his autobiography; literary texts; published interviews with friends, family, and the artist himself; letters; and data on his family history. Here, in addition to a descriptive analysis of such data, a formal diagnosis exercise was attempted, using two psychiatric assessment procedures: a computer program investigating the presence of psychotic disorder (OPCRIT) and a personality disorder questionnaire (PDQ-R). Dalí was found to meet the diagnostic criteria for several DSM Cluster A and Cluster B personality disorders, as well as for psychotic illnesses. However, these results should be treated with caution, given the ‘hall of mirrors’ Dalí inhabited and the deliberate persona he projected on to the world.

The link between artistic creativity and psychopathology: Salvador Dalí - ScienceDirect
that's very interesting i didn't know that about Dali ;) x

My favourite artist :)

Back