• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It's Beautiful!
We are talking about the same think arent we?
This monstrosity?

E1LJeWCXsAEHuVy.jpeg

It catches the spirit of the Púca!
I agree ... The dramatic horse's head reflects the animal most often associated with the Púca's appearance and capabilities, rendered in such a way as to insinuate its innate power. The otherwise humanoid body reflects the anthropomorphic baseline exhibited to one or another extent in the Púca's shape-shifting forms. The caricatured body features imply a humorous aspect that reflects the Púca's generally benevolent nature, albeit it as a trickster. The posture implies a sort of carefree or random cavorting consistent with the trickster motif.

IMHO it's a quite reasonable - even a quite incisive - summary of the Púca's key characteristics. Being a shape-shifter, the Púca has been rendered in all sorts of forms, some of which aren't as anthropomorphic as this sculpture. Save for quibbling about this particular selection of form (out of all the possibilities) I don't see much to dispute in this interpretation.

1621711432701.png

Izzy Op de Beeck performance in supermarket. The scanned articles form an acronym. The receipts quickly fade under the influence of light. No one really noticed the performance and so the work disappears into nothingness. But anyone who knows the message has a lasting memory.

This monstrosity?

Well, it is meant to be a depiction of a monster but I don't think that is what you mean.

Would you have preferred bright copper kettles and whiskers on kittens? :confused:

Re. Puca.

Its grimly art and rather horrid but I think it captures the spirit of the myth.

Mythical creatures are almost always grimly and horrid.

Re. Puca.

Its grimly art and rather horrid but I think it captures the spirit of the myth.

Mythical creatures are almost always grimly and horrid.
As i said in my original post on the subject, in my opinion it is ugly, as in not ascetically pleaseing to my eye. The craftmanship and quality of the piece is not in question, it is well sculpted.

Exactly! EXACTLY! :twothumbs:
I loved that poem as a kid and i still love it now, for those of you who dont know it here it is in all its glory.

The Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

How did you come to know of them?
I honestly don't know anymore. But AFAIK he's still alive somewhere. He's made videos that I totally love.
Isn't this a little masterpiece?

Museums are open again! Hooray :) Went out this afternoon.
Not really my taste but very weird and great draughtsmanship. Also NSFW!
1626030589535.png 1626030612714.png

We visited DenBosch, the birthplace of Hieronumus Bosch.
They have recreated same of his monsters in 3d, full size. Random tourist for scale.

denbosch3.jpg
Same town and a conceptual modern bronze artwork. With partially missing lion. I like it.

Fernando Sanchez Castillo, Anamnesis
'Anamnesis' stands for remembering events and people from the past. These Madrid lions are copies of the lions standing in front of the Palace of Justice in the Spanish capital. Although they are now remnants, the artist brings back the past to present it in a new form. The bronze of the original lions comes from cannons captured in the war against Morocco. Sánchez Castillo shows the lions destroyed in Anamnesis and their pedestal now rests on litter. The lions, victors of the time, are still impressive in destroyed condition but depict something else. Power is fleeting.

br1.jpgbr2.jpg

Back