• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Berlin

Dunno but Berlin is fantastic. You can store down Under den Linden pretending to be a tortured artist or David Bowie.

The Monsterkabinett?

"An eerily bizarre sight can be found under Berlin. Pass through an arched gateway covered in street art to come upon Haus Schwarzenberg, with dungeons where the monsters of your nightmares come alive.

Artist Hannes Heiner calls his installations automatic theatre and his creatures recycled from various waste materials have names like “Little Three Eye”, “Orangina” or “Pippi” and tell stories inspired by the artist’s fantasy."

maximus otter

Was last there 4 years ago for a concert (and to do the Around Berlin in 80 beers challenge).

Didn't see any ghosts, but two pub/restaurants I can recommend are Max und Moritz in Kreuzberg. Had a great choice of beers and food, including some excellent vegetarian choices. Quite dark and atmospheric place with artwork on the walls from Wilhelm Busch's disturbing cautionary tale about what happens to naughty children.

There's also Dicke Wirtin (The fat hostess) in Charlottenburg, which looks like something straight out of a Weimar Republic Cabaret. Think Marlene Dietrich used to go there.

I did see this jackalope in the pub...
VBf6e0P.jpg

I don't know how Fortean this is but I recommend you see the monument to the Nazi book burnings in Bebelplatz.
I suggest you don't read anything about it before you see it, just look at it, close up and at different angles and see how it speaks to you.

The Neues/New museum houses the famous bust of Nefertiti, check it out and see if you think it's a fake... enjoy watching other people enthusing over it. The way they've "decorated" the museum is also very interesting.

The Pergamon Museum has the stunning Pergamon altar and some Babylonian gates you can walk under and imagine you're in a "Swords and Sandals" or Indiana Jones movie :cowboy:

A tour of the Berlin Unterwelten is a great idea if you aren't a claustrophobe. Much the same goes for the Berlin Dungeon (yay torture). There are old ruins of a Gothic Franciscan monastery on Klosterstrasse that are supposedly haunted by the ghost of a limping criminally insane Franciscan monk you might enjoy. I hear he loves company.

As pandacracker says, the Pergamon Museum is utterly worth the price of admission imo and was my favorite thing in Berlin. The USA's Fundamentalist Christians went a little apeshit over Barak Obama and the Pergamon Altar as evidenced in the following Youtube clip:

Back