• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Board Games? (Actual Fortean-Related Game Products)

lopaka

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Couldn't quite find a thread like this. Anybody remember playing or know of good examples of Frortean board games? Both 'board game' and 'fortean' are not exactly well-defined things, but I don't mean RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons or whatever and Ouija boards have their own thread. But surely there have been plenty of UFO, Nessie, etc. ones that have made the market over the years. Like this classic I came across. :D (Yours for a mere £42, according to the site it was originally posted at.)

kreskin.jpg

Bit of a collectors piece i could never afford. There were plans for a new edition.

ahorror.jpg

And i own this. It's rather good. Lots of components and several things to do per turn. You control boats and Atlanteans dodging Sharks, Sea Monsters, Giant Squid and being aided by Dolphins and boats as the island sinks around you. Same year i received this for christmas by brother was given Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs which wasn't bad either!

Escape_From_Atlantis_Box_Cover.jpg

Ooh, was that any good? I was a board-game kind of a kid. I also recall Mysteries of Old Peking i can't remember many of the details but it was a detective style thing and looked cool with lots of cards and events.

gothic-game-small.jpg

The Gothic Game
The sought after haunted house game. Move around the board collecting weapons to help you in your quest to kill every other player. There are lots of deaths to choose from, strangle your opponents with the shrinking necklace, slaughter them with a meat cleaver, or even dissolve them with acid. Just the handy tools found laying around your average haunted stately home! Try to avoid Dracula in case he tries to turn you.
A very individual game from a British designer.

Price: £23.50 (€33.98)

Re: Supercheckers

Resologist said:
Come on, kiddies!!! Fort invented it.

Fort invented the board-game? :confused:

Bermuda Triangle, the intriguing game of vanishing ships?

It's brilliant, a little like shipping monopoly but with magnets. Only really not.

55_1_b.JPG

Atlantis I've got. Fury of Dracula - the best boardgame produced by Games Workshop - I've got. The Illuminatus cardgame? I've even contributed extra cards for that 'un!

I've also got X - The Unknown, a "Trivial Persuit" style of game incorporating questions based on very Fortean subjects (SHC, Coincidence, UFO's etc).

Subtitled: The Giant Snow Monster Game. In case of confusion.. :?

Oh, don't forget the two-player storytelling game Dark Cults. Arcane sigils, gibbous moons, distrubing shadows ... the whole kit and caboodle!

Wow. Those are some fantastic games, everyone. Thanks!

I remember one game called horror house.
the idea of the game was that you had to walk around this map of a castle and pick cards from a pack, on each card was a picture of a monster and a bit about that monster, and you had to best this monster in combat before you could progress. In order to fight a monster you had to stick a sword in the mouth of a big green plastic monsters head in the midle of the board, a sound would then play out, a scream if you were victorious, the sound of clashing swords for a draw or an evil laugh if the monster won.

Can I find a picture of it on the net? no :(

One I can find is... Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs

lostval2yb.jpg

Everyone who was anyone in the 80's had this game, basically the idea was to get 3 pieces of gold out of a temple and to avoid the dinosaurs and the lava, trouble was you and the other players could move the dinos and the lava to send them after your opponents.

I still have my copy of TSR's Vampyre:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2216
"The Vampyre game is faithful to Stoker's original novel. It may be played by up to 6 people, each playing the role of one of Stoker's characters. Many of the game elements are also derived from the book. In Stoker's novel, Dracula did indeed hide coffins in various secret locations so that he would always have a place to hide during the day, should his principle lair be discovered. Dracula did have vampire brides and could command wolves, rats, bears and other supernatural beings. Effective against these un-dead creatures were The Host, holy water, crucifixes and silver bullets; not to mention the hammer and stake - tools required for dispatching vampires.

The Vampyre basic game takes place on the map of Transylvania. The game is a race between the vampire hunters to see who will be the first to find and destroy three of Count Dracula's hidden coffins.

The extended game is played on the reverse side of the map, Dracula's Castle, after the players have finished the basic game. Here, the players have already destroyed Dracula's hidden coffins. Now they must track down and destroy the Count himself in his heavily guarded lair."

And Awful Green Things from Outer Space:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/162

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
I still have my copy of TSR's Vampyre:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2216
"The Vampyre game is faithful to Stoker's original novel. It may be played by up to 6 people, each playing the role of one of Stoker's characters. Many of the game elements are also derived from the book. In Stoker's novel, Dracula did indeed hide coffins in various secret locations so that he would always have a place to hide during the day, should his principle lair be discovered. Dracula did have vampire brides and could command wolves, rats, bears and other supernatural beings. Effective against these un-dead creatures were The Host, holy water, crucifixes and silver bullets; not to mention the hammer and stake - tools required for dispatching vampires.

Yeah, but like the ubiquitous battery disclaimer, I bet the Communion Wafers are sold seperately.

:D

This conspiracy mentalist is fond of pointing out that he is the creator of the board game Scruples.

We used to play this one as a family when i was growing up in Nuremberg. Happy memories:

nahtzeequicken.jpg

oll_lewis said:
I remember one game called horror house.
the idea of the game was that you had to walk around this map of a castle and pick cards from a pack, on each card was a picture of a monster and a bit about that monster, and you had to best this monster in combat before you could progress. In order to fight a monster you had to stick a sword in the mouth of a big green plastic monsters head in the midle of the board, a sound would then play out, a scream if you were victorious, the sound of clashing swords for a draw or an evil laugh if the monster won.

Can I find a picture of it on the net? no :(

I had that game. I think what made it even better was that most of the monsters were based on real legends and stories from around the world.

Unfortunately I took my one to pieces after about 5 years to get the thing out that made all the noises. But it was always very popular on the last day of term.

Back