• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Board Games? (Actual Fortean-Related Game Products)

Gamleslore have a Cthulhu based game

The town of Arkham, Massachusetts is in a panic. Horrific and bizarre events have begun to occur with increasing frequency - all seeming to point to some cataclysmic event in the near future that may spell disaster for everyone. Only one small band of investigators can save Arkham from the Great Old Ones and destruction!

Its the old Chaosium one apparently. Never played it but tempted to get it.

They do an awful lot of odd games.

http://www.gameslore.co.uk/

lupinwick said:
Gamleslore have a Cthulhu based game

The town of Arkham, Massachusetts is in a panic. Horrific and bizarre events have begun to occur with increasing frequency - all seeming to point to some cataclysmic event in the near future that may spell disaster for everyone. Only one small band of investigators can save Arkham from the Great Old Ones and destruction!

Its the old Chaosium one apparently. Never played it but tempted to get it.

They do an awful lot of odd games.

http://www.gameslore.co.uk/

Call of Cthulhu is a great game and I've spent many, many hours sat around a coffee table playing the 1920s edition with friends. I'd recommend it if you can get others to roll die with you.

oll_lewis said:
Everyone who was anyone in the 80's had this game, basically the idea was to get 3 pieces of gold out of a temple and to avoid the dinosaurs and the lava, trouble was you and the other players could move the dinos and the lava to send them after your opponents.

So, basically, Waddingtons thought the looting of the antiquities of under-developed African nations to be great material for a game. It's no suprise we have a generation of Racists and Imperial-apolgists. ;)

There is a fun (and silly) boardgame called The Hills Rise Wild! which features four clans of cultists combatting and competing for an arcane tomb. The whole thing is very Lovecraftian in content and jolly good!

Snakes and Ladders has quite a Forean begining...

http://www.tradgames.org.uk/games/Moksha-Patamu.htm
Moksha-Patamu (Snakes and Ladders)

This ancient race game, like Pachisi, originated in India although the author isn't sure when. It is a game of morality with the bases of the ladders being located on squares representing various types of good and the more numerous snakes coming from squares representing various forms of evil. The squares of virtue on the original game are Faith (12), Reliability (51), Generosity (57), Knowledge (76), Asceticism (78); the squares of evil are Disobedience (41), Vanity (44), Vulgarity (49), Theft (52), Lying (58), Drunkenness (62), Debt (69), Rage (84), Greed (92), Pride (95), Murder (73) and Lust (99). The game is Hindu and was used to teach children about the religion in that the good squares allow a player to ascend higher in the league of life whereas evil will reduce a player back through reincarnation to lower tiers of life. Presumably the last square, 100, represents Nirvana.

How come there are more evil squares than good?

Them's the breaks! Sets you up for the trials and tribulations of real life!

Wow I didn't know this many Fortean games existed, come on Euro millions I'll buy them all :D
TheYithians Nuremberg childhood memories were brilliant definitely a one to spread :lol:

I was just reliving my childhood by looking up all the old board games which I used to play (I was somewhat of a board game geek!) and I found a real blast from the past - Ghost Castle!
(This blog is quite interesting, because it shows how the game evolved from an earlier '70s version which had much more cartoonish artwork.)

Just looking at the board brings it all flooding back - the little footprints, the wobbly floor, the glow-in-the-dark skull that you would have to put in the coffin at the top and see where it landed, and the great artwork on the board itself!

I even remember receiving this game as a Christmas present, with the added touch that my older brothers would have assembled all the bits beforehand so I could play it straight away! (In fact they did this regularly when I was young, and for years I thought that board games all came ready assembled - how disappointed I was when I found that you actually had to stick on the little stickers and "pop out" all the bits and pieces yourself!)

Sorry - I've gone off on a big nostalgia-fest there! :) Anyone else remember this game?

theyithian said:
Ooh, was that any good? I was a board-game kind of a kid. I also recall Mysteries of Old Peking i can't remember many of the details but it was a detective style thing and looked cool with lots of cards and events.

It was actually a good game.

Found this:
508509320_tp.jpg

Details here:
http://www.tatp.org/blog/?p=3802

Have you ever played a game of Cluedo and thought “Well, this is fun and all that but I wish it could be really much more racist”? Of course you have – you’re only human. Luckily for you, MB Games answered your xenophobic prayers with 1987?s “Mysteries Of Old Peking”.

Photo013a.jpg

Well, that disposes of the idea that all Chinese look alike! 8)

Here's a board game story:
Monopoly mix up – Bradford or Plymouth?
Saturday, January 14, 2012 Western Morning News

The makers of Monopoly game have been forced to apologise after several boxes of its Bradford edition were found to contain cards featuring the well-known landmarks of Plymouth – 300 miles away.

Keen Bradford City fan Colin Watson bought the game as a gift to play with partner Suzanne Johns and children Melissa, 12, and Ben, eight.
Mr Watson said: "We are Monopoly mad. This was the latest addition to the collection, so we were really excited when we opened it.
"We made a big fuss when the kids came to open it and had a big laugh about the fact that I would be able to buy places like Valley Parade (sports stadium) and the Alhambra (theatre). It said Bradford on the box and the board was Bradford places, but the title deeds cards didn't match. They were all places in Plymouth." :shock:

Mr Watson bought the Monopoly set from W H Smith in Bradford city centre. The board swaps the famous London streets of the original, such as Mayfair, with Bradford landmarks.
However, Mr Watson said: "The card which was supposed to correspond to Valley Parade was Home Park, Plymouth's football ground. It's more than 300 miles away."

A Winning Moves spokesman, which makes the Bradford edition under licence from Monopoly owners Hasbro, offered a "wholesome apology" and said the family would receive a full refund.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/Monopol ... story.html

"Descent" is an overly long, fiddly, pay attention board game riffing on the dungeons full of dragons theme. I quite enjoy the solo play and when played properly goes on for hours. Some of the "board" game pieces I'm still creating and working on. With minis.

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0002-2.jpg

IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMGP0406.jpg

IMGP0409.jpg

Well, that disposes of the idea that all Chinese look alike! Cool

Another one to set fire to the Knox Decalogue... and #8 appears to be called Ah-Choo! :lol:

Came across the board game of 24 while on my travels today, didn;t buy it, but really couldn;t help wondering if it involved torturing the other players for answers. :lol:

:)

With some concrete stepping stones and appropriate garden statues, someone could build a pretty neat life-size backyard version of the "Descent" board.

Does anyone remember a children's game about climbing a plastic mountain, and one of the hazards to avoid was yetis? I can only remember the tv commercials and the Christmas catalogue picture, the yeti looked kind of like a goofy orangutan.

Here is a decidedly weird old game, "Ka-bala".

http://museumoftalkingboards.com/kabala.html

Moooksta said:
"Descent" is an overly long, fiddly, pay attention board game riffing on the dungeons full of dragons theme. I quite enjoy the solo play and when played properly goes on for hours. Some of the "board" game pieces I'm still creating and working on. With minis.

Did you make that yourself, M? Reminds me of the board games I used to make as a kid, with figures from Kinder eggs and cereal packets.

WhistlingJack said:
Moooksta said:

Did you make that yourself, M? Reminds me of the board games I used to make as a kid, with figures from Kinder eggs and cereal packets.

The flagstones were bought pre-cast but the paint job and additions are all metal miniatures bought on the interwebby thing. Indeed all finished and varnished by own stubby paws. It's an on-going job, 20 done...30 to go...average make time...about two weeks. Looks great when it's set up mind you!

It's a great looking game, Moooksta! I was sure it was some sort of expensive specialty store game.

A good source for pieces for games is Scotia Grendel, I picked up a whole bunch of their "ruined cathedrals" and stuff when a model shop went out of business, the style is clean and simple, but without looking "cartoony".

http://www.scotiagrendel.com/

(Post 800!)

dreeness said:
Does anyone remember a children's game about climbing a plastic mountain, and one of the hazards to avoid was yetis? I can only remember the tv commercials and the Christmas catalogue picture, the yeti looked kind of like a goofy orangutan.

Bigfoot? I had that one too! You would have to avoid the boulders that bigfoot would knock down the mountain every so often. :D

dreeness said:

It's a great looking game, Moooksta!

(Post 800!)

Cheers dreeness.

I've bookmarked that page. Always on the look out for bits...huge pile to paint. :roll:

"Bigfoot" is the game!

(But I came across a lot of very nice white metal yeti game pieces while I was googling for a yeti game, they would make great replacement hood ornaments, or in do-it-yourself snowglobes, or fancy cane-toppers, etc.)

Two games from my childhood jumped into my head when I was reading about the Yeti game.

War of the Daleks which featured sixteen plastic daleks (quite good models I recall) and a board where in you turned the central core area and the daleks moved connecting with the players pieces as they did and EXTERMINATING them. A great game I seem to recall.

Treasure of the Pharoahs. Which was a large three dimensional baord in the shape of pyramid into which pith helmet wearing "explorers" entered and moved through the chambers to make a grab for King Tut's death mask. Seem to recall it had brick door you had to open and other "traps" a bit like Haunted House.

Ahhhh happy daze!!

(A list I found on a blog, just sticking it here to see if anyone remembers any of these.)

The Addams Family Card Game (1965, Milton Bradley)

Alfred Hitchcock's WHY (1961, Milton Bradley)

Barnabas Collins Dark Shadows (1969, Milton Bradley)

Bats In Your Belfry! (1964, Mattel)

Bewitch! (1964, Selchow & Right)

Big Foot, aka "The Giant Snow Monster" (1977, Milton Bradley)

Boris Karloff's Monster Game (1965, Game Gems)

Casper The Friendly Ghost (1974, Schaper)

Creature Castle (1979, Whitman)

Dracula Mystery Game (1963, Hasbro)

Frankenstein Mystery Game (1963, Hasbro)

The Funky Phantom (1971, Milton Bradley)

Ghosts! (1985, Milton Bradley)

Godzilla (1978, Mattel)

Green Ghost (1965, Transogram)

Haunted House (1962, Ideal)

WDW Haunted Mansion (70s, Lakeside)

Hexed! (1960, Tryne Games)

Jaws (1975, Ideal)

Journey To The Unknown (1968, Remco)

Ka-Bala (1967, Transogram)

Kreskin's ESP (1966, Milton Bradley)

Milton the Monster (1966, Milton Bradley)

Mind Over Matter (1967, Ideal)

Monster Old Maid (1964, Milton Bradley)

The Monster Squad (1977, Milton Bradley)

Mostly Ghostly (1975, Cadaco)

The Munsters Card game (1964, Milton Bradley)

Mystery Mansion (1984, Milton Bradley)

Mystic Skull (1964, Ideal)

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? (1973, Milton Bradley)

Seance (1972, Milton Bradley)

Spider and the Fly (1962, Whitman)

Sunken Treasure (1976, Milton Bradley)

Superstition (1977, Milton Bradley)

The Twilight Zone (1964, Ideal)

Voice of the Mummy (1971, Milton Bradley)

Voodoo Doll (1967, Schaper)

Which Witch? (Milton Bradley)

Yipes! (1976, Ideal)

Monster Madness (2008, Peaceable Kingdom)

I had a similar monster making kit to that third one, but mine was more of a drawing thing than a board game.

Back