Fortean Book Suggestions, Please

binotaur

Fresh Blood
Hello. With Christmas fast approaching I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for good Fortean books. I have most of John Keel's works, Passport to Magonia, a few Bigfoot titles and some Nick Redfern (whose style I'm not a fan of) and some Jonathan Downes.
Last year I received Hunt for the Skinwalker and Gef! , both of which I love.
I'm not really interested in hauntings/ghosts per se. Any ideas would be most welcome.

I suggest you take a look at these threads and a few of my own:

Borderlands By Mike Dash.

Hystories by Elaine Showalter.

The Devils Party by Colin Wilson.

Flat Earth by Christine Garwood.

A Brief History of Secret Societies by David V. Barrett.

Tom Slick and the Search for the Yeti by Loren Coleman.

The Land That Never Was by David Sinclar.

Ghost Colonies by Ed Wright.

The Master Plan by Heather Pringle. Great book on some Fortean aspects of the SS as well as a lot of downright nasty stuff. The Ahnenerbe was involved in some crimes against humanity with medical experiments on prisoners.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/ahnenerbe.5588/#post-1773843

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...nyone-give-me-a-list-of-books-featured.63412/

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/suggestions-for-a-good-read.13479/

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/fortean-books.19925/

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Jon Ronson books:

The Men Who Stare at Goats (2004)

Them: Adventures with Extremists (2001)

The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry (2011)

binotaur

Fresh Blood
@Yithian Thanks. I've read them all. Turns out that everybody I worked with in my last job was a psychopath. It's a wonder I escaped with my life.

Ogdred Weary

Fhtagntastic.
I recommend the Harry Potter Books Series of Books, it about this boy, see, and he only discovers... he's a wizard! And then, he goes to a school, but, one for wizards! The books are totally mental, how can someone imagine something like this? Mark my words, these books are going to take off, I would love to see them as a film! And then some more films that are vaguely related many years afterwards. And play too, definitely a play. A theme park wouldn't go amiss either.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I recommend the Harry Potter Books Series of Books, it about this boy, see, and he only discovers... he's a wizard! And then, he goes to a school, but, one for wizards! The books are totally mental, how can someone imagine something like this? Mark my words, these books are going to take off, I would love to see them as a film! And then some more films that are vaguely related many years afterwards. And play too, definitely a play. A theme park wouldn't go amiss either.
And don't forget the tacky merchandise.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
A Dungeons and Dragons wizard boy book these days? .. and a film of it? .. you do realise Pink Floyd aren't still together?

MercuryCrest

Justified & Ancient
Ghosts of the Air by Martin Caidin and Natural or Supernatural by the same author. I can't say enough good things about these books. There are 3 or so tales in each one that seriously keep me up at night.

Joseph Citro has a few, though they're New-England-specific, there are some great tales there.

Lauren Coleman's Mysterious America

American Monsters by Linda Godfrey (she has several more but they tend to be Wisconsin-specific). There one other one she did whose name escapes me, but it's another general overview.

binotaur

Fresh Blood
Ghosts of the Air by Martin Caidin and Natural or Supernatural by the same author. I can't say enough good things about these books. There are 3 or so tales in each one that seriously keep me up at night.

Joseph Citro has a few, though they're New-England-specific, there are some great tales there.

Lauren Coleman's Mysterious America

American Monsters by Linda Godfrey (she has several more but they tend to be Wisconsin-specific). There one other one she did whose name escapes me, but it's another general overview.

Aye, Monsters Among Us I think is the Linda Godfrey I have. It's very good. I like her style and there's some severely weird shiz going on in there.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
A few core items for any Fortean's library:

On the Track of Unknown Animals by Bernard Heuvelmans.

In the Wake of the Sea Serpents by the same author.

Cults of Unreason by Dr. Christopher Evans.

Fortean Studies, several volumes, edited by Steve Moore. Duh!

Supernature by Lyall Watson.

The New Apocrypha: a guide to strange science and occult beliefs by John Sladek

The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Philip Sugden.

Mysteries by Colin Wilson.

Stranger than Science, by Frank Edwards. (The pulp end of Forteanism!)

Mysterious Britain - Ancient Secrets of the United Kingdom and Ireland by Janet & Colin Bord.

In Search of Lake Monsters, by Peter Costello.

The Beasts That Hide from Man: Seeking the World's Last Undiscovered Animals, by FT's own excellent Dr. Karl Shuker.

All but one of these books reside on my shelves (if anyone has a copy of Heuvelmans' Sea Serpents that they'd like to move on, please PM me...)

All highly recommended.

maximus otter

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
For Crypto creatures, I've enjoyed the following books by Bigfoot enthusiast Lyle Blackburn:
The Beast of Boggy Creek: The True Story of the Fouke Monster
Beyond Boggy Creek: In Search of the Southern Sasquatch
and
Lizard Man: The True Story of the Bishopville Monster

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Some excellent suggestions above, I would add some of my personal favourites which I can highly recommend:

The Goblin Universe by Ted Holiday (1986) Plus, The Dragon and the Disc: An Investigation Into the Totally Fantastic (1973)

Big Grey Man of Ben MacDhui by Affleck Gray (1970)

Supernatural: Meetings with the Ancient Teachers of Mankind by Graham Hancock (2005)

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
I enjoyed the Big Grey Man book much more than I expected - not sure why, but I thought it was going to be a throwaway read-in-an-afternoon book, but it is much more thoughtful that I thought it would be. I second FrKadash's recommendation.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member

Zeke Newbold

Carbon based biped.
A few books that have given me pause for thought and/or just diverted me over the last ten years:

Will Storr vs The Supernatural by Will Storr.

https://www.fishpond.co.uk/q/will+storr+vs+the+supernatural

I'm not a natural ghost enthusiast, but Storr has to be one of Britain's best journalists at the moment and this account of how he tangled with a bunch of ghost hunters and spirit fanciers had me gripped from the outset. Plus there sre one or two incidents described in it that really do make you wonder.

Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown.

https://www.fishpond.co.uk/Books/Tricks-Of-Mind-Derren-Brown/9781905026357

I was a bit ill disposed to this author but he won me over with the self-deprecating confessional approach he takes here, as well as some genuinely funny anecdotes. Naturally, being himself a trickster, he is sceptical of paranormal claims and did cause me to question some of my own beliefs and assumptions.

J. Allen Danelelk: UFOs: The Great Debate.

https://www.fishpond.co.uk/Books/UFOs-J-Allan-Danelek/9780738713830

A modest UFO primer which, nevertheless contained enough well argued and original points to make me reconsider my earlier rejection of the ETH as an explanation for the phenomena.

Dmitry Bayanov: America's Bigfoot: Fact Not Fiction.

https://www.amazon.com/Americas-Bigfoot-Russia-Anniversary-Patterson/dp/590022922X

This is so much more than the polemic that the title suggests. It is an account of how the Russian Almasty hunters met up with their American counterparts in the 1990s - with the Patterson-Gimlin film as the conduit. It is full of insights into (unofficial) East West relations at that time as well as the real day-to-day lives of the Russian man-like ape entusiasts. That said, the analysis of the Patterson-Gimlin film which they undertook - not all of which is commonly known about in the West even today - does seem to provide a case to answer.

Don Donderri: UFOs ETs and Alien Abductions.

https://www.amazon.com/UFOs-ETs-Ali...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=1571746951

Donderri is the most credible living advocate of UFO- as-ET-craft -but you don't have to give that full credence to be able to appreciate this psychologist's calm and concise writing style. His no-nonsense approach is refreshing and you do tend to believe him while you are reading him.