• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Bridge

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Caught a programme on BBC 2 last night all about London's Tower Bridge. 'Britain's Best Buildings'. 'Twas all quite fascinating especially the fact that it has its own mortuary! News to me indeed. Here's a taster:

"Tower Bridge is a favourite spot for committing suicide. The bodies of people who jump off the bridge tend to get washed up by the side of the bridge, and as a result of that, the Dead Man's Hole was constructed - a mortuary built into the base of one of the towers supporting the walkways. Tower Bridge is the only bridge in Britain that has its own mortuary, where the bodies were laid out awaiting collection by the relatives." (http://britcult0.tripod.com/geography/tbridge/tbridge.htm)

The programme itself explained that this gathering of bodies around one spot on the riverbank was due to the predictably tidal nature of the Thames.

Also, another semi-fortean case of the mid to late nineteenth century was mentioned. A man famous for his diving feats boasted that he would dive from the bridge - disguised himself thoroughly, climbed to the high level walkway, stripped and then dived to his death in front of several witnesses. I can't remember the details and googling is coming up blank - any more details? A name would help.
:confused:

I watched this too.

Liked the bit about them having to shut the upper walkway due to its continual use by ladies of the night.

The Yithian said:
Caught a programme on BBC 2 last night all about London's Tower Bridge. 'Britain's Best Buildings'. 'Twas all quite fascinating especially the fact that it has its own mortuary! News to me indeed. Here's a taster:

"Tower Bridge is a favourite spot for committing suicide. The bodies of people who jump off the bridge tend to get washed up by the side of the bridge, and as a result of that, the Dead Man's Hole was constructed - a mortuary built into the base of one of the towers supporting the walkways. Tower Bridge is the only bridge in Britain that has its own mortuary, where the bodies were laid out awaiting collection by the relatives." (http://britcult0.tripod.com/geography/tbridge/tbridge.htm)

The programme itself explained that this gathering of bodies around one spot on the riverbank was due to the predictably tidal nature of the Thames.

Also, another semi-fortean case of the mid to late nineteenth century was mentioned. A man famous for his diving feats boasted that he would dive from the bridge - disguised himself thoroughly, climbed to the high level walkway, stripped and then dived to his death in front of several witnesses. I can't remember the details and googling is coming up blank - any more details? A name would help.
:confused:

It's mentioned here, doesn't add much, does give his name though.

On the 19th of November 1894, a dare-devil called Benjamin Fuller dived from the one of the walkways at the top of the bridge as a publicity stunt. He was well known to the police, having dived illegally off several bridges before, including Southwark Bridge, so he had to disguise himself carefully in order to get past the policeman on duty near the bridge. Unfortunately, the dive into the river killed him - the coroner's jury recorded a verdict of "Death by Misadventure."

Speaking about bridges (as we are) has anyone heard of (I think it's called) the Mathmatical Bridge in Cambridge? It was built in the 16th centery without any nails or glue being used. It was made by niterlocking bits of wood.

Well anyway in the late 19th centery they desided to tske it apart to understand it better. They coundn't however fit it back together and had to use nasils and glue:rolleyes:

That mathematical bridge story sounds like an UL...and one google later we find out that it is:

"For those who have fallen prey to the baseless stories told by unscrupulous guides to gullible tourists.... Anyone who believes that students or Fellows could have disassembled the bridge (and then failed to re-assemble it, as the myth runs) cannot have a serious grasp on reality, given the size and weight of the wooden members of the bridge. The joints of the present bridge are fastened by nuts and bolts. Earlier versions of the bridge used iron pins or screws at the joints, driven in from the outer elevation. Only a pedant could claim that the bridge was originally built without nails. Other baseless stories are that Etheridge had been a student, and/or had visited China."

http://www.quns.cam.ac.uk/Queens/Images/WinBridg.html

Again on the subject of Fortean bridges, I remember hearing a program on Radio 4 about a bridge in Australia designed and built by convicts that was covered in hundreds of intricate engravings and sculptures of all sorts of characters from folk stories and myths and also IIRC local people (often in rather compromising poses) - can anyone bring some more light to bear on this? Please don't tell me I imagined it all!

That's the one, cheers! Its a pity there are no pictures of the engravings - but now I know its name I can do some googling - thanks again!

"One hundred and eighty six sculptured stone panels, many of Celtic influence, are believed to be unique."

That's alright, if you find any pictures of the engravings post the link, I'd be interested to see what sort of things convicts would engrave...

Back