• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

radiant

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi guys,

Just wanted to make you aware of the "Booth Museum of Natural History" in Brighton, England. Amongst its fortean exhibits, one can find:

- A genuine mer-man skeleton
- The remains of a living toad discovered inside a million-year old rock.
- A display of crystals with full descriptions of their magical/healing properties.
- A display about the magical aspects of flint

A short walk away in Hove Park is the "Goldstone" - a huge rock kicked there in frustration from Devil's Dyke by the devil himself. And you can't miss the bus trip to Devil's Dyke itself, a fantastic open valley containing the "Devil's Graves" - the devil and his wife are buried there, walk backwards around them seven times holding your breath to meet the devil.

There's also a good value "Ghost Walk of the Laines" around the alleyway area of Brighton with lots of creepy stories. You can also tour the victorian sewers, visit the beach flint grotto....

Atlasobscura has a decent list of things worth visiting too: http://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/brighton-england/places

Try West Street at about 11pm tonight, that will be pretty Fortean...

There's also a good value "Ghost Walk of the Laines" around the alleyway area of Brighton with lots of creepy stories.

I was mistaken for the 'Ghost walk' chap whilst trying to buy a Birthday card in WH Smiths in Churchill Square. Despite my emphatic denial, the youth wouldn't have it and I was rather insulted, I am far better dressed.

One other Fortean place of interest, the Cricketers (not to be confused with the Cricketers (Hove) or the Cricketers (Southwick) was the domicile of unlikely Jack The Ripper suspect Robert Donston Stephenson.

One other Fortean place of interest, the Cricketers (not to be confused with the Cricketers (Hove) or the Cricketers (Southwick) was the domicile of unlikely Jack The Ripper suspect Robert Donston Stephenson.

Had our wedding reception there - his photo was keeping an eye on the cake.

As I live in Brighton, and looking at Victorian Spiritualism, would recommend the 'Mina Scarletti' mystery series by Linda Stratmann, set in the early 1870's. Some entertaining stories with the lead character Mina trying to expose fraudulent mediums, and getting into a feud with local advocates for Spiritualism. The author has also written factual history and done her research.
My review of the series can be found at
https://bleakchesneywold.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-mina-scarletti-mysteries-set-in.html

Back