• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Computer Games

Weird, I'd just been about to start a thread with the same title as this.

X Ops 0.96 is now available here
thumbup6ly.gif

Video Games

Just wondering if we have any other video / computer game fans here?

I've been searching but I couldn't find much on here already...so....

What are your favourites? What are you playing at the mo? Any fortean game tales to relate? Any fortean games to recommend?

I know we've had the Computer Game Urban Myth thread, just wanted to make this a bit wider that's all.

Been playing Echoes quite a bit lately.

It's free to download and is a cross between Asteriods and Geometry Wars.

echoes_2_t.jpg

echoes_6_t.jpg

Katamari Damacy has to be the best game in existence. It does have the loch ness monster (I think) Stonehenge and crop circles in it!

I haven't really played games since age of empires II (gosh, that was a long time ago) but I'm thinking of getting back into it once I have a computer of my own.
My favourite game of all time is 'Heroes of might and magic 3'. :oops:

Zelda on the Wii is entertaining. Even more of a laugh is watching my step-son and his friends play Wii sports. The amount of effort (and swearing under the breath if they think we aren't looking) is unbelievable. :)

Just finished Metal Gear Solid 2...that's the reason I asked. Plenty of conspiracy stuff going on in there....

Playing Sensible Soccer today...nothing Fortean at all in that one.

Firstly, the Xbox version (the one primarily played for this feature)....

Ah, but I'm playing the PS2 version.

No seriously, its definitely flawed, but my team looks like me and my mates!

Carlos...top scorer....spitting image.

Worth the asking price alone. I've even got my cats in the team.

Katamari Damacy has to be the best game in existence. It does have the loch ness monster (I think) Stonehenge and crop circles in it!

I'm going to keep saying this until someone agrees!!

*Puts hands in pockets, looks upwards at the sky, starts whistling, turns around and slowly walks away.*

All the time! I'm a bit of Nintendo fanboy though I just don't think I'll look that good jumping about in front of the telly. So I haven't invested in (nor could I) a Wii.

Heartily recommend Project Zero on PS2 though. Switch out the lights, put on some headphones...enjoy a very disturbing experience. Quite a change from the usual cute animals in cute locales I favour! It's a very Japanese game where you take pictures of ghosts to "kill" them. There was a bit with the spirit of a baby crawling on the floor that done me...done me proper!

I've got a Lovecraft game for the Xbox but I just can't seem to get into it! I like how "insanity" kicks in and the screen goes fuzzy and the controls freeze up. Clever idea. Innovation in games I like.

My game of the moment though and the best I've played in a long while is Zelda: Twilight Princess. It's a joy to play and to look at.

This Damacy game looks a bit weird though. Rolling a ball to create a universe....how odd....I'll stick with the monkey driving the go kart! Or the turkey flying the spaceship. Or the small elfin boy who turns into a wolf. That's normal....errr...

mooks

I used to make games for a living and now teach university students how it's all done (bar the coding). Favourite game ever: Interstate '76.

i wrote some stuff for bug byte software back in the day... too embarrassed to say what it was as it was a lousy jet set willy clone, it got advertised, but then they went into liquidation before it was released, so i never got paid for it either...

I worked on a few of the more recent FIFA football games (2002, 2003), have done a few RTS games like 'Dune 2000', and various other things in between, even mobile phone games. Games development has a high rate of attrition, so more than 60% of the stuff I worked on never saw the light of day (which is a fact that tends to unnerve some games students ;) ...).

BlackRiverFalls said:
i wrote some stuff for bug byte software back in the day... too embarrassed to say what it was as it was a lousy jet set willy clone, it got advertised, but then they went into liquidation before it was released, so i never got paid for it either...

*furtles through Sinclair User*

It was Stay Kool?

Can I claim my £5?

did you guess? find the jsw clone with the worst rating? or did i mention it at some point in the dim and distant past..?

BlackRiverFalls said:
did you guess? find the jsw clone with the worst rating? or did i mention it at some point in the dim and distant past..?

You do yourself a disfavour, sir.

I 'hung' around with the BugByte mob - and the Software Projects / Odin / Thor people. And released stuff under their banner. Manton's bird did it for me! Woo!

Click my WWW link below for more info. There's a free mix there too!

BlackRiverFalls said:

No I asked the husband to look through is back issues of Sinclair user. We worked out when Bug Byte folded and looked for a JSW clone written around that time. Also, noticing that you are a lady girl helped narrow it down.

Don't be embarrassed, it worked which is a lot more than can be said for a lot of other games of that age. Hell, you wrote a game in machine code, you should be proud.
We did find a running emulator of it online. I'll try and find a link.

WhistlingJack said:
There isn't a link to click, Fro... :(

Er, link here...

BOLLOCKS

Are you sure - not next to the <PROFILE><PM><EMAIL><WWW>bollocks at the bottom of each of my posts? I see it. But then I'm a knob head.

anmatcat.gif

I 'hung' around with the BugByte mob - and the Software Projects / Odin / Thor people. And released stuff under their banner. Manton's bird did it for me! Woo!

back then i was sort of hanging around with the LUMPsoft boys (they said it stood for Leeds University Micro Pathologist but i never believed them), and vaguely knew the dude from Sentient Software...

No I asked the husband to look through is back issues of Sinclair user. We worked out when Bug Byte folded and looked for a JSW clone written around that time.

nice bit of detective work there... :D

We did find a running emulator of it online. I'll try and find a link.

i think i found one a year or two back... seem to remember being struck by how slow it ran, and how bloody awful the collision detection was lol... and that awful unavoidabubble 'colour bleed' you got from the low resolution attribute map!

Bug Byte made me change a bunch of stuff too 'cos they were worried i'd get them sued by Mathew Smith... originally the opening screen was called "The Bidet D-Day" and had toilets going horizontally and loo rolls vertically... forget what it got changed too... just wasn't the same...

Revealed! The Man Behind Green Bert!

Frobush said:
WhistlingJack said:
There isn't a link to click, Fro... :(

Er, link here...

BOLLOCKS

Are you sure - not next to the <PROFILE><PM><EMAIL><WANK>bollocks at the bottom of each of my posts? I see it. But then I'm a knob head.

I can see BlackRiverFalls and Jerry B's www links, but I can't see yours...* :?

I must say I'm pleasantly surprised to discover the identity of your alter ego - I've heard of him! :)

* Ah, I see the bollocks now...

Back