• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Country Walks

I've been given codeine a few times and always stopped taking it as soon as I could bear the pain on 'over the counter' meds. Just...didn't want it to be too good to stop.

Until a couple of years ago, you could get up to 15mg of codeine over the counter here (Australia). That changed and now it's prescription only as people were abusing its availability to use it in the making of street drugs.
I use it for chronic headaches and it's pretty good, however long term use diminishes its efficacy and it's not great for the liver. It generally causes constipation too.

I'm very familiar with the Staffs/Derbyshire peak district white area mostly, but I will be spending some time in Devon at the end of summer exploring the northern sea side towns i.e Woolacombe Illfracoome, i've explored the valley of the rocks before but always open to new and of course Fortean suggested walks any recommendations gratefully received

Alternatively:

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
-- James Mattis.

More seriously, I became very thoughtful about choosing which table or seat to take after reading Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

You want to see the main entrance, have something solid between you and it, and be able to identify alternative exits before you sit down.
I read in a Western comic in my youth about 'the Gunfighter's seat', which was where gunfighter would sit in a pub, back to a walk, facing the door and away from any windows.

I read in a Western comic in my youth about 'the Gunfighter's seat', which was where gunfighter would sit in a pub, back to a walk, facing the door and away from any windows.
Probably they sat in those bars - back to the wall, facing the door away from any windows ~ to avoid sitting in the drafts!

Last edited:
... like a cowgirl wrangler.

Cowgirl wrangler.jpeg

Mrs DT has dared me to walk the entire length of Devils road on Saturday night. It’s not an actual road, more of a service lane that gives the local farmers access to their fields.

She will drop me off in the car at the start, then drive the ¾ of a mile around the lane, and pick me up at the other end.

As you can see, its creepy enough on the bright sunny day, the google street car drove through it, let alone at night when its pitch black and I’ve only got my mobile phone as a light source, and also especially Halloween bloody night.

What was I thinking when I agreed. :eek: Oh well.

My reward however, is a lamb tikka biryani, veg samosa's, and a stuffed paratha courtesy of Mrs DT :)

View attachment 30997
Further to my above post. We are looking after my neighbours dog for the foreseeable as she is quite unwell, she is on morphine for a spinal condition, so when not asleep she's spaced out, so she asked if we could have the dog for a while - which is fair enough.

Anyway, I took the dog for a walk this morning and walked in the direction of Devils road, but when we got to Devils road itself she flatly refused to enter it. No matter how much I tugged at the lead, she just kept on backing off. At one point I was almost dragging her forward, but she was having none of it.

Strange eh..?

I can't find anything online as to why it's called devils road, but I do know the local schoolkids dare each other on Halloween nights to run the entire length of it, and most turn back apparently. It is bloody creepy though, even on a bright sunny day.

I can't find anything online as to why it's called devils road, but I do know the local schoolkids dare each other on Halloween nights to run the entire length of it, and most turn back apparently. It is bloody creepy though, even on a bright sunny day.
It does look very overgrown and shady, so it's quite possible that people get 'vibes' from it.

It does look very overgrown and shady, so it's quite possible that people get 'vibes' from it.
I picked up bad vibes when I first walked the length of it Myth. It was weird. I felt like I was gonna get jumped even though there was no-one around for miles.

Strange thing happened about a year ago though. I turned off of my driveway and was behind a ford focus, and could see it had 2 passengers inside - a Man and a Woman. 300 yards up the lane is the entrance to Devils road, and to my surprise the focus turned into it - I wouldn't take my car into Devils road, it's so narrow that if you met a vehicle coming the other way you are buggered. Also it doesn't lead to anywhere, it just takes you back onto the country lane that I was driving on. 3/4 of a mile later, I saw the focus coming out of the other side of Devils road with only 1 passenger inside the car - the Man.

Why would a Man drop a Woman off on Devils road..? It literally doesn't lead to anywhere, and it's in the middle of nowhere.

I thought that a bit weird.

Last edited:
I picked bad vibes when I first walked the length of it Myth. It was weird. I felt like I was gonna get jumped even though there was no-one around for miles.

Strange thing happened about a year ago though. I turned off of my driveway and was behind a ford focus, and could see it had 2 passengers inside - a Man and a Woman. 300 yards up the lane is the entrance to Devils road, and to my surprise the focus turned into it - I wouldn't take my car into Devils road, it's so narrow that if you met a vehicle coming the other way you are buggered. Also it doesn't lead to anywhere, it just takes you back onto the country lane that I was driving on. 3/4 of a mile later, I saw the focus coming out of the other side of Devils road with only 1 passenger inside the car - the Man.

Why would a Man drop a Woman off on Devils road..? It literally doesn't lead to anywhere, and it's in the middle of nowhere.

I thought that a bit weird.
Google Street View shows a bit where there is a van door lying by the side of the road.
I reckon it's a place where some iffy people go to do a crime or dump stuff.
Something may have happened to her - or maybe just an argument where she got out and stormed off.

Listen to your instincts. Be aware of your surroundings. Pay heed to the little voice in your head that says "Bad idea!"

You will prevail in every ugly situation which you avoid.

maximus otter
I don't have them. Genuinely. With some of the situations I've found myself in it's a wonder I haven't been murdered. I have no self-preservation instincts at all.

But, in keeping with the theme of the thread, anyone coming to the Thirsk meet up (oh, I do hope some of you will come!) there's some very 'haunted locality' around Thirsk, my DIL was telling me about a hole in the ground which is supposed to lead to fairyland and if you lie down and listen there you can hear the Little Folk...

Google Street View shows a bit where there is a van door lying by the side of the road.
I reckon it's a place where some iffy people go to do a crime or dump stuff.
Something may have happened to her - or maybe just an argument where she got out and stormed off.
I see there is a blue swing gate a bit further on along the road, which appears to lead to what looks like (from above) a travellers camp - but maybe they are just three metal type barns?
Screenshot (333).png

About to head off along the Mining Trails situated between Redruth and Cornwall, including the old tramway route in the Bissoe valley. Boys were sent down these mines from the age of eight, having to climb several hundred feet up and down ladders to the seams where the air was thick with dust and the water acidic. The area became the most valuable square mile in England at one point in the 19th Century due to the volumes of tin and other ores being extracted. A hard, dangerous and often too short way of life, there are some ghosts associated with this area although these are often a bit apocrvaphyl in nature, however the whole area can have a haunting atmosphere, especially if you find yourself alone and one of the frequents mists rolls in...

I see there is a blue swing gate a bit further on along the road, which appears to lead to what looks like (from above) a travellers camp - but maybe they are just three metal type barns?
View attachment 68896
Not sure if it's connected, but there is a site entrance off the lane (a bit further back to the west) although it is from 2011.
DR1.jpg

For some reason though, as you head east, just after the site entrance, there is a short stretch of the lane that you cannot 'drive' along on streetview. What are they hiding?

I often cut through a lane to get home from town it has a cemetery on one side and tree's on the other, it's pretty and well lit. I always feel like someone is behind me on the first half I look behind me constantly but as soon as I reach a certain point ( around the halfway point ) the feeling goes. I am never bothered by cemetery's so I'm convinced it's not that and anyway it runs the whole length of the lane.

Not sure if it's connected, but there is a site entrance off the lane (a bit further back to the west) although it is from 2011.View attachment 68913

For some reason though, as you head east, just after the site entrance, there is a short stretch of the lane that you cannot 'drive' along on streetview. What are they hiding?
Yes, I noticed that 'Site Entrance' sign, but the view down it is blocked out for some reason? Looking at it from overhead view, it seems to run down and connect with a small bungalow and the premises of 'Great Maplestead,' (a red roofed - what looks like two long storage sheds).

Last edited:
Not sure if it's connected, but there is a site entrance off the lane (a bit further back to the west) although it is from 2011.View attachment 68913

Working from home tomorrow, so in my lunch break I'll take a walk through Devil's road and see what I can see. Minus the dog of course

Near my house The American Civil War Battlefield “ Stones River “ where 25,000 men died New Year’s Eve December 31, 1862 is a spooky battlefield.

One time when my wife and I were walking the pebble paths, the small pebbles would skip ahead of us like someone was walking in front of us.

Sometimes the bark on the trees looked like faces with pain on their faces.

Weird !

Near my house The American Civil War Battlefield “ Stones River “ where 25,000 men died New Year’s Eve December 31, 1862 is a spooky battlefield.

One time when my wife and I were walking the pebble paths, the small pebbles would skip ahead of us like someone was walking in front of us.

Sometimes the bark on the trees looked like faces with pain on their faces.

Weird !
Would be *VERY interesting to be able to catch that on camera?
(*Added VERY!)

Last edited:
About to head off along the Mining Trails situated between Redruth and Cornwall, including the old tramway route in the Bissoe valley. Boys were sent down these mines from the age of eight, having to climb several hundred feet up and down ladders to the seams where the air was thick with dust and the water acidic. The area became the most valuable square mile in England at one point in the 19th Century due to the volumes of tin and other ores being extracted. A hard, dangerous and often too short way of life, there are some ghosts associated with this area although these are often a bit apocrvaphyl in nature, however the whole area can have a haunting atmosphere, especially if you find yourself alone and one of the frequents mists rolls in...
Good walk Paul?

And @Dick Turpin, anything to report re devils road?

Good walk Paul?

And @Dick Turpin, anything to report re devils road?
Yes thanks, it is hard not to feel a bit overwhelmed as you look at those old mine engines and think of eight year olds descending hundreds of feet into cramped and barely lit shafts with 40º C temperatures, the air thick with fumes from gunpowder. Then the woman and girls up top engaged in backbreaking work of their own as they worked the copper ore. Meanwhile the mine owners bought up huge estates and built themselves manor houses into order to live a life of luxury (the Scorrier Estate is a great example).

I'm off to Falmouth Bay today, the haunt of Morgawr the Cornish sea monster and across the bay you can just make out Mawnan, the lair of the Owlman...

Not Fortean per se, but with some overlaps into our areas of interest as a community, is a wee day out not far from my normal toddling ground I have planned with some equally history-nerdy people next weekend: an 'Alfred The Great and Somerset Levels & Moors' potter about. On our intinererarereray (in no particular order) is
  • The Alfred Monument at Althelney (marking the site of his residence/stronghold and his abbey)
  • The church at Aller (site where the defeated Viking leader Guthrum was baptised & God-fathered by Alfred) and the The Old Pound Inn (no reason, except it's a lovely old pub)
  • The withy (weaving willow) farm & centre near Stoke St Gregory to peruse the marshy fields and baskets on offer
  • The church at East Lyng that A T G ordered built after his historic defeat of Guthrum
I'll let you all know if I see or hear any Anglo-Saxon weirditude :)

Not Fortean per se, but with some overlaps into our areas of interest as a community...

Same with the following.

Anyone following the General: Lost Threads Located will be aware that I'm convinced that a thread I started - entitled something like The Walking Thread - All Seasons, which has since disappeared into the ether (alternative scenarios: 1. I'm operating in several similar dimensions. 2. I'm losing my marbles. 3. See 2).

Anyway, I have a Word copy of my first big post on that thread, which has some relevance here. (And if anyone is convinced they've read this before - please tell me, even if only to reassure me that I haven't imagined the whole thing.)

Back in May 2018 my (then) partner and I walked part of the Camino de Santiago: the final added on section, starting at Santiago de Compostela, heading towards the Galician coast – then up through Fisterre and Lires, finishing up at Muxia.

The trail winds through a landscape of misty hills, dense forest, and silent villages. Wind turbines cluster on hilltops – rising out of the cloud like bits of derelict spaceship. Where the land is farmed it is fertile looking arable, and Galicians breed very fine cattle. There are spectacular thunderstorms, clanky and forlorn church bells sound flatly from unseen places, and the fields and hedgerows heave with songbirds, their constant chattering accentuating the utter silence of the villages which, out of season, are otherwise deathly quiet. The land is depopulated and studded with half occupied hamlets and abandoned properties – out of season the empty holiday homes add to the air of desertion. Sometimes the shell of a long unoccupied house rubs shoulders with modern and well maintained homes - and the juxtaposition of derelict and shipshape reinforces the air of a humanity only half here.

Like the Basque country, there’s an almost northern European feel to this area of Spain – and a strong Celtic resonance. One feels that the place could easily share its gods with Cornwall or Ireland or the forested places further west or north.

Two other things. From what I gather, some of the Spanish nicknames for Galicians are not very flattering – the reason for this may be found in two other things associated with Galicia: witchcraft and smuggling – and most recently, drug-smuggling. These are, or have been, big influences in the region and the latter might explain why this mysterious and often silent landscape peppered with half inhabited, often silent hamlets also accommodates the odd plush and surprisingly located ‘business’; the income from peregrinos may be significant, especially in the summer months – but out of the way restaurants and bars are perfect conduits for money laundering.

So, towards the end of day one – at a derelict house by a crossroads outside the very quiet hamlet of Carballo (not to be confused with the municipality of Carballo, which is further north) we came across a very sick horse – emaciated and obviously close to collapse. Being no RSPCA, or similar, in Spain, we contacted the local police and knocked on the door of the house opposite, where a local lady cleaning for the absent German owners told us (sympathetic but resigned) that the land belonged to a gypsy family, and that the police had been contacted on several occasions regarding the state of their livestock.

I borrowed a bucket and took some water over the road to the horse, and then took the opportunity to have a poke round the house. At first, I put the slightly odd and unnerving atmosphere down to the usual resonances given off by abandoned buildings; the house, I’d guess, was constructed some time post 1960’s, and not particularly distinctive in any way. But when I got to the garage full of rusting farm equipment I saw something above the door which pulled me up with a bit of a start:

Witch1.jpg

As I said there is a strong tradition of witchcraft in Galicia – and my very first instinct was that this addition to the fabric of the property had nothing much to do with Catholicism, or an odd taste in home decoration, but was the expression of some less regular purpose. I may have been entirely wrong - it may just have been the atmosphere of that first day walking in an unknown landscape – but, to me – whether it’s the weathered (or maybe painted) eyes, or the odd crown, or the odd positioning, there is something really quite off centre about that thing.

There is a second phase to this.

The same evening we took a twin bedded room in a farmhouse/hostel in Logrosa, just outside Negreira. We were at the top of a creaky staircase leading directly upwards from the large and echoey flagged parlour, and we were two of only five people staying in the big rambling barn of a place that night.

That night while shuffling through the days photographs, I paused at the crowned lady: she still gave me the creeps, and in the gathering twilight I wondered if maybe I hadn’t brought something with me that was best left behind – and considered deleting the images until I reasoned that come daylight I’d probably feel less pagan than I did in the all-consuming country dark.

We both fell asleep almost immediately. However, barely an hour later I was woken by my partner climbing into my bed. She was a bit shaky and unnerved – she had had the vivid impression that she had woken because there was someone in the room, but could neither move or speak.

She was sure it was just a dream. And it most likely was. But what I didn’t tell her was that I too had woken with the conviction that someone had been in the room, and that this was somehow connected to an incredibly vivid dream I had just woken from.

A man – in his early 30’s maybe – with light brown curly hair had been standing in what looked like the same room, in front, and slightly to the left, of an elderly lady in a wheelchair. Both looked more northern European then Spanish, the lady quite elegant, the man slightly feminine. He had been talking to me - and although I don’t remember any exact words, I know that he was very earnestly explaining to me why it was that he could not leave this place – I assumed that this was to do with the lady in the wheelchair.

Just a dream – but a very vivid one, and one that stayed with me for the whole trip.

That’s my no-story. It seems insignificant and rambling down in print, but I can’t emphasise enough the odd atmosphere that first day left on the rest of the journey and the aura of mystery it leant to the rest of the trip.

Back