Fortean Devon

rynner2

Great Old One
This currently available iPlayer prog may be of interest here:
Secret Britain - Series 3: 3. Devon
Ellie Harrison, Chris Hollins and Denise Lewis explore Devon.

On a journey from an abandoned island on the south coast to the county's most hidden and remote surf spots in the north, Ellie Harrison follows in Drake's footsteps, seeking out Devon's best-kept secrets.

Chris Hollins relives an ancient and long-forgotten purification ritual on Dartmoor, and Denise Lewis uncovers the secret history of the county's most reluctant visitors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b078j2yj/secret-britain-series-3-3-devon

rynner2

Great Old One
When I started watching that iPlayer presentation, I thought it might be mildly interesting. But I was wrong - it was very interesting! I've lived many years in Devon, north and south, but I learned things I'd not heard before. Especially about the Silver Mines of Combe Martin. Apart from that, there was a secret cave system on Dartmoor - all those underground sequences got my claustrophobia alarm throbbing!

Happily there were lots of open country and sea scenes as compensation. And I never knew the Army had a railway on Dartmoor either!

hunck

Justified & Ancient
When I started watching that iPlayer presentation, I thought it might be mildly interesting. But I was wrong - it was very interesting! I've lived many years in Devon, north and south, but I learned things I'd not heard before. Especially about the Silver Mines of Combe Martin. Apart from that, there was a secret cave system on Dartmoor - all those underground sequences got my claustrophobia alarm throbbing!

Happily there were lots of open country and sea scenes as compensation. And I never knew the Army had a railway on Dartmoor either!
Good programme - the discovery of a new stone circle on Dartmoor in 2009 was interesting amongst the other stuff.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
You know, in Australia Devon is the name of luncheon meat, usually as a kids sandwich filler, so when I saw the title "Fortean Devon" I thought "Has the face of Jesus appeared on someones sandwich?"

rynner2

Great Old One
The Dartmoor legend of the rich Lord who killed his horse and climbed inside for warmth
By Herald_Miles | Posted: July 23, 2017
Video: 5m 04s: Dartmoor's landscape.

There are many spooky stories about Dartmoor that give us the shivers.
But have you ever heard the freaky tale about the aristocrat who killed his own horse during a freak storm - and hid inside in a desperate effort to survive?

It's a tale that's not for the faint-hearted.
Legend has it that Ordulf, Lord of the Manor of Plymstock, was out hunting one day when he became separated from the rest of his party.
The weather turned and his situation became so extreme - he was forced to kill his horse.
Frantic and with no other options left as temperatures plummeted and the rain lashed down, Ordulf disemboweled it and crawled inside for warmth – the 11th-century version of a hot-water bottle.

It was a bad move – he'd have been better with a live horse than a dead one. He was found frozen solid by a group of monks, and it is said that from time to time the rare visitor to this remote corner might still catch a ghostly glimpse of these holy fellows carrying a bier across the wilderness.

But before he perished on that dark night, he left a note stating that whoever found and buried him could have his Plymstock estate.
The monks of Tavistock Abbey found his body and buried him in their grounds. Childe's Tomb was erected to mark the spot where Ordulf - son the of 11th-century Earl of Devon - fell and can still be seen today near Fox Tor Mire.

etc...

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/the...e-for-warmth/story-30450758-detail/story.html