Fortean Documentaries

skinny

Class of 1984
Good series of three docos on psychic spies here: The Crazy Rulers of the World, by British journalist Jon Ronson. Thanks to Yithian for mentioning this series on another thread - I wasn't aware of these before. Fascinating stories from the beginning of the century and beyond.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Watch: Terrifying 'The Nightmare' Trailer from 'Room 237' Director Will Keep You Awake For Days

Rodney Ascher takes on sleep paralysis in what many critics are calling one of the most terrifying documentaries ever made.

Between directing "The Shining" conspiracy documentary "Room 237" and a segment for the horror anthology sequel "The ABCs of Death 2," it's clear director Rodney Ascher has a special place in his heart for all things terror. The director's latest project, "The Nightmare," is his scariest effort yet as he explores the real-life nightmares of subjects who suffer from sleep paralysis. The film had a successful premiere at the Sundance Film Festival earlier this year.

Interviewing eight adults who suffer from sleep paralysis and resulting night terrors, Ascher explores his subjects' terrifying semi-conscious states while also recreating their horrific dreamscapes for the viewer to witness. The result is a unique non-fiction experience that holds its own against the hits of the horror fiction genre. If the debut trailer for "The Nightmare" makes anything clear, it's to definitely avoid seeing it alone.
http://www.indiewire.com/article/wa...irector-will-keep-you-awake-for-days-20150501

Ulalume

tart of darkness
.. enjoy mate ... and I haven't watched this one yet but it might be a good double bill? ..

My son saw this one at school, on one of those days when they watched a film after testing was finished. it gives me hope that the local public education system is a little more open-minded than they used to be. (In my day, we were treated to films about nutrition and school-bus safety on those days.)

We both agreed that Ripley's business partner, whose job it was to scour the library for reports of weirdness, had a dream job. :)

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
I went to Ripley's while i was in Niagara Falls, quite a small place, there was a big mirror and in front was some facts about what people can do, with their tongues and such, so of course you stand there pulling various faces trying them out, unbeknownst to us, until we got round to the other side, it was a two way mirror, and they were recording it, as we could see others from past visits on a telly :eek:
http://www.niagarafallstourism.com/play/attractions/ripleys-believe-it-or-not/
I cant remember half of that :eek: Must have missed a floor or two :p

skinny

Class of 1984
Got a real gem here. Last night there was a story about Slab City (long-term US desert locale with quite a large community of squatters living rent free) on the news saying the bureaucrats were going to cut off their water supply. As I was seeking the video (thought someone had posted it here - maybe its in Human Condition) I found this in the search.

Vagrants? Itinerants? Squatters? Drifters? Homeless? Those who've chosen to roam have often been derided by the sedentary community. I think it looks very tasty. If I were single again ...

Without bounds: Perspectives on a Mobile Lifestyle

Get it while its hot, folks. These good free docos have a habit of disappearing from freeview.

skinny

Class of 1984
Here's the older vid I was seeking. It is definitely on a thread on FT somewhere. I hope the pigs don't shut down their water supply. It is a very edgy community, but they're way out away from the bourgeoisie, so leave 'em the hell alone I reckon.

skinny

Class of 1984
Got a real gem here. Last night there was a story about Slab City (long-term US desert locale with quite a large community of squatters living rent free) on the news saying the bureaucrats were going to cut off their water supply. As I was seeking the video (thought someone had posted it here - maybe its in Human Condition) I found this in the search.

Vagrants? Itinerants? Squatters? Drifters? Homeless? Those who've chosen to roam have often been derided by the sedentary community. I think it looks very tasty. If I were single again ...

Without bounds: Perspectives on a Mobile Lifestyle

Get it while its hot, folks. These good free docos have a habit of disappearing from freeview.
After watching this I'm wondering, is it just me or are these people even more self-centred than the residential folks they decry? No responsibilities to anybody but themselves, and good luck to them, but their attitudes don't sit too comfortably for some reason. The people here represent the generation that promoted the goddamn consumerist ethic in the western world and now they just wanna leave the mess for everybody else. Something about that irks me.

Eponastill

Abominable Snowman
Last night on BBC4 there was a documentary about James Randi - I thought it was really good. It got a bit soppy at the end (owing to the documentary makers trying to make some feeble connection between him basing his career on Revealing Truth when his partner had been concealing his original identity and was actually an illegal immigrant) but apart from that.. Although it did have me ranting at the television over that self-serving twerp Uri Geller and also some disgraceful 'faith healer' in America. As one man against the forces of willful stupidity he's done pretty well. Well worth a watch and will be on the iplayer for a while.

Last night on BBC4 there was a documentary about James Randi - I thought it was really good. It got a bit soppy at the end (owing to the documentary makers trying to make some feeble connection between him basing his career on Revealing Truth when his partner had been concealing his original identity and was actually an illegal immigrant) but apart from that.. Although it did have me ranting at the television over that self-serving twerp Uri Geller and also some disgraceful 'faith healer' in America. As one man against the forces of willful stupidity he's done pretty well. Well worth a watch and will be on the iplayer for a while.
It was also discussed on the Randi thread when it was first shown. From this post on wards:
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/randi-discuss.13216/page-4#post-1469821

skinny

Class of 1984
I first read about Tim Page in Michael Herr's excellent Vietnam expose, Dispatches. Page has gradually upped some of his images onto his website over the years, and they really take you inside the American experience. WARNING: this documentary is extremely graphic at times with images of horrific death from the first frames.

I got here through looking for follow ups on his fellow photo-journalist Sean Flynn. That's an interesting mystery too.

I've always had an inexplicable fascination/obsession with the American Vietnam war experience since listening to the Clash song Sean Flynn in 1983 and then watching Platoon 30 years ago. My wife (Buddhist by family tradition) reckons I was most likely there, but I'm skeptical as always. Born in '71, so she supposes I reincarnated out of that conflict or something. I don't hold to that philosophy, but who knows.

I remember the passage in Dispatches about Sean Flynn heading into the jungle on a motorbike, never to be seen again.

skinny

Class of 1984
I remember the passage in Dispatches about Sean Flynn heading into the jungle on a motorbike, never to be seen again.
Into Cambodia, IIRC. Straight To Hell on a moped. Was Dana Stone with him? I must read it again. I love the way Herr describes the borderlands the correspondents straddled between the lunacy and the light. What a writer.

skinny

Class of 1984

skinny

Class of 1984
Sorry, the Page doco part 1 is all there is. The actress who uploaded it has a hundred videos of herself but no Part 2 of the Page doco. I'll keep tracking and maybe it'll show up on Vimeo or somewhere.

skinny

Class of 1984
Yeah thanks. The Flynn doco also goes nowhere. Most disappointing. Surely this story would make a great feature documentary. Most of those guys are still kicking but won't be around long. Someone needs to get it done.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The bit in Dispatches where the US soldiers would laugh when their comrades got shot out of helicopters always stayed with me. Just mad.