• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Documentaries

Smuggling banned rock and roll records into 1950's soviet Russia then cutting them on used X ray film ... as you do ... X RAY AUDIO.

Last edited:
Smuggling banned rock and roll records into 1950's soviet Russia then cutting them on used X ray film ... as you do ... X RAY AUDIO.

'Cutting them'? You mean, like making floppy acetates? Like the freebie records that came attached to magazines?

'Cutting them'? You mean, like making floppy acetates? Like the freebie records that came attached to magazines?
Yup .... how cool is that?!! .. google the pictures of them! .. they're well macbre! they just badly had to have American Rock and Roll and found THE only way through making shitty low grade audio on smuggled about stuff

Last edited:
Does anyone else remember this stunning series on UK C4 tv??? It was beyond brilliant...

The Anatomy of Disgust
(2000)

The Anatomy of Disgust was a three-part documentary series, which explored the most neglected and under-researched of all human emotions; examining not just the science of this most fundamental and powerful self-preservation response, but also it’s role in politics and the arts.

The series touched upon the significance of disgust in Hitler’s propaganda campaign against the Jews, justifying the anti-Semitism of the third Reich by portraying the Jewish population as unclean carriers of disease living in rat infested ghettos. Nazism also formed the basis of an experiment in which volunteers were invited to touch a soldier’s hat bearing the insignia of the SS. While most reluctantly did so on the understanding that it was a replica, almost all refused when informed that it was in fact the genuine article. What amazed and informed me was that most of the participants found it extremely hard – if not impossible – to articulate why they found themselves so repulsed at the thought of mere fingertip contact with a simple piece of militaria. Most understood that the terrible historical connotations of the item formed the basis of their reluctance, but were equally aware that to touch it would not be physically harmful or symbolic of condoning fascism.

There were some lighter moments, such as an experiment involving a bunch of toddlers and some chocolate made to look like dog poo, and a U.S government crowd control experiment where hard-up college students received considerable financial enticement to inhale scientifically formulated noxious odours through a mask (The longest anyone lasted without vomiting was a brave 90 seconds).

When we are disgusted by something our physical and mental responses clearly display this, causing us to flee from the source of our discomfort. However, most of us would be hard pressed to put the cause of this violent and primal reaction into words. The Anatomy of Disgust addressed exactly this issue, as well as explaining how those in power use our most fundamental instincts against us, and how those in the art world manipulate us in the same way, ensuring maximum emotional impact for their work.
- Rose Ruane www.offthetelly.co.uk

This is how you have to kill baddies .. this video starts out a bit cheesy but improves quickly.

Representations of reality do have to work just that little bit harder, to seem real. As a sequel to Blackhawk Down, I did think the final scenes of 'Obama vs Osama' were probably very....gripping. So, apparently, did the audience (it was on limited release, invitation-only, no popcorn)

Obama_and_Biden_await_updates_on_bin_Laden.jpg

(Space) may be the final frontier
But it's made in a Hollywood basement....
wow_connection_failure_blizzard_headquarters.jpg

ee1ee9d539b3e7ab7a1e5b8af4a81ec3.jpg

tom-cruise.jpg

Last edited:
Tulku, a 2009 documentary about the experiences of five young Western men who were identified in childhood as reincarnated Tibetan Buddhist masters.

The Hyena Men of Nigeria are medicine men who tame dangerous wild animals to perform with so they can sell their wares ...

Tulku, a 2009 documentary about the experiences of five young Western men who were identified in childhood as reincarnated Tibetan Buddhist masters.
That is really trippy. My eldest is a tulku I think. A couple of weeks ago, I rode into my parents' yard to collect her at the end of the day and she was sitting on the front lawn in a very orthodox lotus position. When I asked her what she was doing, she said, in effect, she was trying to leave her physical state and look at pictures of her ancestors. I was intrigued by this. Her mother is a non-practicing Buddhist, but she was entirely dismissive, disappointingly. I still think the kid has tentacles in the past that are rising now. She's 8.

That is really trippy. My eldest is a tulku I think. A couple of weeks ago, I rode into my parents' yard to collect her at the end of the day and she was sitting on the front lawn in a very orthodox lotus position. When I asked her what she was doing, she said, in effect, she was trying to leave her physical state and look at pictures of her ancestors. I was intrigued by this. Her mother is a non-practicing Buddhist, but she was entirely dismissive, disappointingly. I still think the kid has tentacles in the past that are rising now. She's 8.

Well, you never know, one day some monks may show up at your front door...:)

There's another documentary you may like, called The Unmistaken Child. it's about a monk who's been tasked with finding the reincarnation of his beloved teacher. It's very touching. It's also interesting, as it talks about the signs they use to locate the child. Things like a foot print in the master's funeral ashes, dream symbols, astrological predictions, etc. as well as the process of ascertaining that the child is the right one.

Unfortunately, I don't have a link to it, but you may be able to find it somewhere if you're interested.

Five mysterious and restricted places .. I don't normally watch these click bait looking mini docs but I like this channel ..

'Real Demon Filmed In Asylum' .. is the title of this documentary length video someone's stuck on youtube .. the below screen grab looks like CGI to me so probably just another Blair Witch imitation , I haven't watched the whole thing yet but it looks entertaining ..

Last edited:
The Haunting of Fox Hollow Farm is a bit 'Cable TV U.S.' sensationalist in its production but if you can get over that, it's a good ghost story worth a watch ...

After it was mentioned in the thread The Hideous Man at the Gas Station, I hunted online for this little 1997 BBC documentary film called The Alien Who Lived in the Sheds, for ages and couldn't find it but it has just recently been uploaded to youtube. It's made and presented by the actor Nabil Shaban, who played the creature Sil in some Colin Baker era Doctor Who serials. I'm just going to watch it now, it looks very weird but pretty interesting too o_O

Curse Of The Devil Stones .. not a documentary but a news report .. I haven't watched it fully yet but it looks like good fun ..

Beards, sandals, terracotta-tinted sunglasses, giant collars and cars that look like fish - I give you a blast from U.S. Forteana Past:

A lot of famous actors in there, too. If you can possibly get through all these, the links from them will supply plenty more.

Doubtless this series will have been linked to before. But for me today, on an intermittently wet bank holiday weekend, it's just the thing, because it's the complete antithesis of the current fashion for dramatic reenactments, 'Scariest video on the internet' promises or MH-style shrieking. This episode has a pilot explaining his experience of meeting a colleague at the airport, who later turned out to be dead. He explains it in such a matter-of-fact style. And he realises that people may think he's "a nut" which is also quite refreshing.
(it's an episode of the British 90s programme Ghost Hunters. Hopefully there are many more on youtube to keep me amused).

Hopefully there are many more on youtube to keep me amused

I always liked that series for the reasons you state. Only about a dozen of them found their way onto Pound Shop type DVDs. The one you posted was new to me. Youtube also used to have one about Timeslips, but that seems to have been taken down. Some sources state that the narrator William Woollard was keenly interested in the supernatural; he had, of course been long associated with Tomorrow's World and scientific documentaries on the BBC.

28 Episodes seem to have been made. :)

Sadly, I can't find any more episodes online right now. The name brings up a more modern fiction show.

The scariest thing about Ghosthunters was the two blokes filmed on a sofa earnestly describing their spooky experience while sitting with their legs wide apart and wearing skimpy shorts. :eek:

Back