• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Documentaries

Ha thanks. Had that Clash track playing on repeat for a while. It takes me somewhere every time. Not always to Vietnam.

The bit in Dispatches where the US soldiers would laugh when their comrades got shot out of helicopters always stayed with me. Just mad.

I watched one recently called Resurrect dead : the mystery of the Toynbee tiles. The Toynbee tiles started appearing in streets across america and of course painted with a cryptic message.

Another one was on BBC and is on the iplayer now it blew my mind as it followed a team hoping to film a giant squid for the first time.

Richard Fynman helped create the atom bomb, could play the bongos, was into nature and created a flawless numerical system ..

Radioactive art in Fukushima:

The Creators Project heads to the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster zone to get an exclusive look at Japanese art collective, Chim↑Pom's latest project "Don't Follow The Wind." This group of installations feature the work of various artists and are housed by four buildings inside the exclusion zone, serving as a monument to the disaster and its ongoing consequences. We sit down with Ryuta Ushiro and Ellie of Chim↑Pom, as well as featured artists Ai WeiWei, Trevor Paglen, and Eva and Franco Mattes to chat about how and why building this installation inside the radioactive space was essential in communicating the devastating impact of the disaster.

I first read about Tim Page in Michael Herr's excellent Vietnam expose, Dispatches. Page has gradually upped some of his images onto his website over the years, and they really take you inside the American experience. WARNING: this documentary is extremely graphic at times with images of horrific death from the first frames.

I got here through looking for follow ups on his fellow photo-journalist Sean Flynn. That's an interesting mystery too.

I've always had an inexplicable fascination/obsession with the American Vietnam war experience since listening to the Clash song Sean Flynn in 1983 and then watching Platoon 30 years ago. My wife (Buddhist by family tradition) reckons I was most likely there, but I'm skeptical as always. Born in '71, so she supposes I reincarnated out of that conflict or something. I don't hold to that philosophy, but who knows.

I understand Skinny.

Watched The Nightmare tonight, the one about visions seen during sleep paralysis. Not much scientific explanation which has rankled with a lot of people, but how much scientific dream analysis is there anyway? Some weird stories, should be of much interest to those here who are fascinated by their own and other's dreams. Looks like the director would love to reboot A Nightmare on Elm Street (or Communion). I'm a bit dubious that the phenomenon is contagious, as it claims, but fingers crossed nothing happens to me tonight!

Be a good doco about the waking nightmares depicted in those so called films. The everyday is far more horrific to most than the fantastic shit thrown up through cinema. Wim Wenders has gotten closest. The images of the dream captures of Bill Hurt's character in UTEOTW were as evocative as hell. The academics are peddaling hard to produce the technology, and we will, within this breath probably, be in reach of that scatological experience. Every one of us. And when it does descend upon our synapses, the whole shithouse will be compromised. None will understand but everyone will profess.

Not exactly a documentary as such but interesting anyway .. the 5 Eeriest broadcast hackers ..

Here's Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man. There must be a thread on this case somewhere already. The subject is fascinating.

That's a good film. It's one of those that will stick with you for years.

Indeed. A lot of Herzog's docos are great. He has no qualms about expressing his personal views and analysis. In this one he's almost in dialogue or debate with his subject, who is dead. A very engaging meta-narrative going on throughout.

"In all the faces of all the bears he recorded, I see no kinship, no understanding, no mercy. Only the overwhelming indifference of nature."

I could listen to Herzog talk for hours. If only I weren't getting up in the morning to catch the early bird 3D Star Wars, I'd watch the second hour of this.

This is not a supernatural documentary but it is amazing.

You can't look it up or talk to anyone about it first or it will be ruined.

Anyone who has seen it will recommend it.

Bookmarked for later

It's hard to convince people to watch, because you can't reveal anything about it - like the excellent horror film The Pact.

But 94% on Rotten Tomatoes and 8.6 on IMDB.

Be warned though, it is not a very happy watch...

Enjoy!

Not spoiling it, but the director was far too close the material, so it gets way over the top for an already horrible story (putting his own scream on the soundtrack at the crucial moment wasn't wise). I can see why he'd want to make the film, but there's an element of putting the boot in to a very nasty person causing a situation way past saving that seems unnecessary.

I remember a weird Channel 4 documentary years ago, maybe 2001, which was called something like ''The Secret World of Fleas", I can't seem to find any online record of its existence. It was presented by a professor/regular C4 presenter who always wears a bow tie, and I somehow think Patrick Moore was in it too, but not certain on that.

The story of Brendy Duddy - mediator between the IRA and the British intelligence services during the dark days of the Troubles. A Peter Taylor doco.

Back