• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Documentaries

Mystery of the man on the moor is on ch4 at 10pm Wed about the chap that
came by train form London and ended up dead on the moos above Oldham.

I'm not sure if this is Fortean, it looks a bit sensationalist but interesting enough ..

The Simon Amstell vegan comedy Carnage on BBC iPlayer is actually a documentary by stealth. It made me laugh, but it's very thought-provoking too, and predicts a Britain that will become vegan by necessity (to prevent global warming, disease, and promote humane practices). I don't know if that will ever happen (by 2067!) but this was highly effective at getting me wondering if I should give up the eggs and cheese as well as the meat.

The Simon Amstell vegan comedy Carnage on BBC iPlayer is actually a documentary by stealth. It made me laugh, but it's very thought-provoking too, and predicts a Britain that will become vegan by necessity (to prevent global warming, disease, and promote humane practices). I don't know if that will ever happen (by 2067!) but this was highly effective at getting me wondering if I should give up the eggs and cheese as well as the meat.

I felt it stopped being a comedy when it started showing footage of slaughter, so I didn't watch all of it I'm afraid. I'm a hypocrite, I know but I try my best (five out of seven days next week will be veggie).

Yeah, it's comedy with a steely glint in the eye, not what you'd expect from a wishy-washy vegan.

Thanks, Swifty. Good film. Wonder where the cauldron is now ... and what it was used for.
Really enjoy the documentaries connected to Nazi activities. This one looks good too.

I suppose it doesn't get any more Fortean than Fortean TV .. no doubt this is already in this thread but just in case ? , have a bit of Lionel Fanthorpe anyway ..

The Delian Mode - a documentary about Delia Derbyshire, the woman who created, amongst other achievements, the DR WHO theme and is regarded as a pioneer in electronic music. Not strictly Fortean but very very cool .. a beautiful mad genius who invented techno.

Last edited:
A UFO doc with Rod 'Twilight Zone' Sirling hosting .. you can't go wrong ..

Not all that Fortean.

But I was wondering if anyone has seen any of the documentaries focusing on The Venus Project and what your thoughts were.

Some links:

http://www.thevenusproject.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacque_Fresco

I posted this a few years ago and have kept up somewhat with The Venus Project. Just last week I was watching their newest film release The Choice Is Ours. Although I didn't watch it all they were touching on our behaviour patterns and how we can change and it all came across a bit cultish to be honest. However, listening to Jacque talk you can't help but believe he makes a lot of sense, I love his ideas.

I did not realise he had died last week at the ripe old age of 101!! RIP Jacque!!

Found a couple on Netflix

Cropsey where a couple of film makers realise the local urban legend about a child snatcher/killer actually has some basis in fact and their investigation into the story.

They have a second documentary also on Netflix called Killer legends that looks into other similar urban legends like the babysitter being tormented by menacing phone calls that turn out to be coming from upstairs, poisoned candy being handed out at halloween and a couple of others.

Found a couple on Netflix

Cropsey where a couple of film makers realise the local urban legend about a child snatcher/killer actually has some basis in fact and their investigation into the story.

They have a second documentary also on Netflix called Killer legends that looks into other similar urban legends like the babysitter being tormented by menacing phone calls that turn out to be coming from upstairs, poisoned candy being handed out at halloween and a couple of others.

Ta. I'll put them on my list!

Just found another series on Netflix that I binged watched over the weekend.

American supernatural: 8 epsiodes about assorted small town tales mostly ghosts and curses from 8 assorted small town areas in the US.

It was done for the US market and you can tell where they would have cut it to add in the comercial breaks. But it had a couple of interesting stories in the series. Nice to see that they didn't just concentrate on the nasty ones and had a couple that were 'benificial' spirits.

If you haven't seen A Sidewalk Astronomer, which is a one hour doco on the life and times of John Dobson, do yourself and the rest of us a huge favour and find it. It isn't available for download or for free on Youtube. I check fairly regularly and the company that sells the dvd must be too, as there are still only snippets up for free.

Dobson is an important figure, not just for his cottage science popularisation and for opening the door to millions into affordable amateur astronomy, but because of his red shift theory, discredited out of hand by most established astrophysicists.

He's also a great gas. RIP, JD.

If you have a spare couple of bucks, you can buy a copy from the editor. This is not a spam attempt. There's heaps more to enjoy at the link.
http://telescopepictures.com/synopsis/

Ed Gein (the spiritual source for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre)
This one's hot out of the oven. Yee haw!
Just watching now. Looking tasty.

Halfway though, and it's a rather middling interpretation. The history is interesting but the text is annoying. Is that for international students or for Americans who don't understand spoken British?

Last edited:
Thought this might be a Stephen Greer Sirius thing, but it isn't.

Robert Hastings, anyone? This doco focuses on the alleged intervention by ufos in the nuclear missile tests of the 50s and 60s. Quite enjoying it so far. Might be an interesting book if it has some statistical backing for the claims of "high frequency of sightings" around the test projects made in this doco.

Back