• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Documentaries

Watched this recently for the first time, I knew of him but didn't know about this BBC documentary film from 1992. I think it's brilliant that he's made a life for himself doing what he loves. And he's still there with the same van! Amazing guy.

Nice little 1986 Anglia TV program about hauntings.

Thanks for sharing! I love finding new old fortean documentaries like this. I think it's the nostalgia/hauntology of seeing the past as better and more decent, with old TV programmes, mixed with my love of all things fortean that makes them so good! I still think Ghosthunters (Discovery Channel, 1996 - 1997) is the best series on the subject.

Does anyone remember this 1999 series? Riddle of the Skies. Only 3 episodes but features some interesting old accounts and interviews.

This time we're abducted (and hopefully not probed in the process) all the way back to 1975 with a NASA produced documentary narrated by the late, great Orson Welles called:

Who's Out There?

I like this one.

The Wildman Interlude - A Short Bigfoot Documentary (2017)

Obviously a major element of Fortean, paranormal, and cryptid documentaries is the creepy/spooky factor. This has turned out to be a barrier to finding good media to share with my kids (7 and 12 years old), both of whom have an interest in the topic. We have had some luck with the old History Channel show Monster Quest (we are in the US). Can anyone recommend any shows, books, movies, or documentaries that are low on the creepy factor and heavy on the open minded inquiry side of things? I want to nurture their interest in a topic I love without getting them scared enough to not want to pursue it.

Truly interesting black & white footage in German

I love the serious, analytical tone! These things get shunted sideways into the entertainment-hopper today. There are so many of them - what else to do!

Arizona Observer asks, as many of us do, for more enquiry-driven stuff. Unsolved mysteries can still engage today's youngsters. When I got the chance, I would do odd lessons on The Money Pit or the Dyatlov Pass mystery, for instance. These real-world mysteries could create more real engagement than debatable spook-sightings. Evaluating evidence does get kids interested, especially where we have no answers in the back of the book! :rup:

Today's kids are so surrounded by virtual realities that it may take a while for it to sink in that these were not computer games! At least, not for the unfortunate participants!

I wouldn't be surprised if most of us were here because we actually enjoyed the sensation of being frightened! But who knows what would freak your children out anyway. One of my worst as a kid was the Belmez Faces, something that any sensible person would immediately put down to a hoax, and besides would think the faces were poorly drawn anyway?!
Maybe you could always try classic series like "Strange but True" or "Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious World" - they're teatime viewing so can't be that terrifying. But at the same time, as I say above, who knows what (you or) they'll find terrifying?
Annoyingly I can't think of anything more recent. But perhaps that's because modern paranormal shows are largely pants :)

Just found this a few mins ago by accident on YouTube, BBC - Everyman documentary from 1997. And they used music from David Sylvian's Gone to Earth at the start!

Dave Smith the Druid :rollingw:(Wasn't he part of Spinal Tap?)

Also Gorden the "toad" Maclellan - these guys put paganism back years.

Last edited:
An epic length doc on general forteana.
This is rather good I thought, Lord Mongrove, thanks for the link above. Respectable fortean types pop up in it, like Tony Cornell, Hilary Evans and Richard Wiseman. There's even Doug and Dave the crop circle artists! The unwittingly funniest bit was when they were talking about faith healing and the narrator told us all about this woman who'd benefited so much from it that she'd been able to stop her chemotherapy... I had to give a wry smile. So it's not exactly super objective, and there's bits that will annoy you. For example, an odd bit where Maurice Grosse walks up to the house in the famous Enfield poltergeist case. But it's not the right house at all?! They lived in a council semi detached. And this is a Victorian terrace?! that's a bit weird. Unless it's his house and the narration is just confused.
But it's been great to have on while I've been tidying about this afternoon. Thank you for a good find! Arizona Observer might like it too for his/her kids. The Readers Digest (whose programmes they are) have a lot to be thanked for for my interest in all things weird, I have to say... I used to pore over several books on fortean topics my dad bought when I was little.
There are lots of other spooky documentaries on that same youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3_WamCQSQbP6weftHQkRVA/videos

Last edited:
The Reunion: Sue MacGregor reunites a group of witnesses to the Enfield Poltergeist, a strange series of 'paranormal events' which started to occur at a council house in north London in 1977.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09yck6b
I've not listened to it yet. But how could it not be interesting :)

That was an excellent documentary. The journalist basically saying, you had to see it to believe it sounds like a terrible cliche, but I accepted it.

Here's another radio programme about the Enfield poltergeist, maybe from the late 70s as everything is discussed in quite a contemporary way? It's by Ros Morris, who made many recordings at the house. If anything it's better than the link above. I liked Vic from next door. He seemed like a solid sort of person to have about in extraordinary circumstances.

Last edited:
This is very interesting too, an interview (from a long time ago, judging by the plumminess of the BBC presenter's accent!) with Ian Stevenson, a Canadian academic who studied reincarnation. At the beginning he says that in the west he received the reception 'What do you want to study that for - it's tosh', and in India and Burma (etc) he had the reception 'What do you want to study that for - it's evident'! There's an interesting bit where he hints how used to be evangelical about it... but a swami pointed out that it doesn't seem to make any difference to people living in countries where it's accepted... there are still people behaving dreadfully :)
Also he talks of children who said they were in the wrong sex body... I can see that dovetailing into contemporary discussions of gender and trans people, (though I think it might become a bit of a minefield at this point in time, so probably a discussion for the future?!).

I enjoyed this too. It's an interview with Jessica Utts who oversaw the statistics for the Stargate remote viewing project. The interviewer doesn't come across terribly well sometimes but it's worth persisting!

Last edited:
I'm a total Hilary Evans fan, so I'm a bit biased. But this is excellent. It's just him talking, so you can leave it on while you're busy doing something else that needs your eyes. He's such a rational articulate fortean type. He's talking about balls of light, crop circles, the BVM, etc.

I'm a total Hilary Evans fan, so I'm a bit biased. But this is excellent. It's just him talking, so you can leave it on while you're busy doing something else that needs your eyes. He's such a rational articulate fortean type. He's talking about balls of light, crop circles, the BVM, etc.
Just need some time to watch all of these!!

Thank you for posting them :)

John Was Trying to Contact Aliens - short and sweet documentary new to Netflix. John has spent his life trying to contact aliens, via an elaborate electronic system set up in his grandparents house. He beams out a radio show for E.T.s only, playing Krautrock and Afrobeats amongst other stuff! So I guess he qualifies as an outsider artist. He says he has some minimal data that the aliens are listening, but the doc doesn't explain how he receives this, instead it becomes about John's personal life. Only 16 minutes. Recommended!

John Was Trying to Contact Aliens - short and sweet documentary new to Netflix. John has spent his life trying to contact aliens, via an elaborate electronic system set up in his grandparents house. He beams out a radio show for E.T.s only, playing Krautrock and Afrobeats amongst other stuff! So I guess he qualifies as an outsider artist. He says he has some minimal data that the aliens are listening, but the doc doesn't explain how he receives this, instead it becomes about John's personal life. Only 16 minutes. Recommended!

I love the background music!! :joyf:

I don't have Netflix though so won't be able to watch it :(

Looks like his grandparents put up with a lot.

Back