• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Documentaries

This could be interesting, but my bias is that I'm a Cara fan!
One planet, endless possibilities. Watch Planet Sex with Cara Delevingne February 14 on Hulu. #PlanetSex ABOUT PLANET SEX WITH CARA DELEVINGNE Cara Delevingne is an actress, one of the world’s most photographed people and an award-winning LGBTQ+ icon. On this immersive journey, she puts her mind and body on the line in search of answers regarding human sexuality, its joys, mysteries, and constantly changing nature. In every episode, she shares her own personal experiences. Uniquely unfiltered and authentic, there’s no limit on how far Cara’s willing to go to explore what makes us all human.

Learn more about Gods of Mexico at http://godsofmexico.oscilloscope.net With visually stunning landscapes and immersive sound, GODS OF MEXICO is a poetic survey of the vast landscapes and rich diversity of several communities of rural Mexico. Using richly saturated color and hypnotic black-and-white interludes, filmmaker Helmut Dosantos takes viewers through salt pans, deserts, highlands, jungle, and underground mines—paying tribute to those who fight to preserve their cultural identity amidst the shadows of modernization.

I have mentioned Paul Sinclair of the 'Truth Proof' books on this forum a few times:

https://truthproof.uk

Paul is a 'traditional' hands-on researcher who set out investigating strange lights seen off the Yorkshire coast and then found himself drawn into all manner of high strangeness from north and east Yorkshire including werewolves, dogmen and CE3s in addition to unidentified craft seen in the skies. This is also the home of the legendary Flixton werewolf:

http://earthworks-m.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-flixton-werewolf.html

Perhaps not so 'legendary' as Paul has interviewed new witnesses and links these modern-day encounters with the names and folklore of the area, for example there are multiple places that have the Norse and old English variations of 'wolf' within them.

I have read all but one of his books and listened to him on 'Mysteries and Monsters' podcasts, for example:

https://audioboom.com/posts/7883190-mysteries-and-monsters-episode-39-truth-proof-with-paul-sinclair

I personally believe Paul is honest in that he believes what he has witnessed and what others have told him first-hand. His podcast manner can however become rather intense...! Anyway, he has been working on a soon to be released documentary 'Wolflands' that will include witnesses going on the record to describe encounters with poltergeist activity, Ufos, werwolves and all manner of high-strangeness. He talks about this upcoming documentary here:

https://audioboom.com/posts/8253670-mysteries-and-monsters-episode-225-wolflands-with-paul-sinclair

Satan Wants You tells the untold story of how the Satanic Panic of the 1980s was ignited by "Michelle Remembers", a lurid memoir by psychiatrist Larry Pazder and his patient Michelle Smith. Supported by the Catholic Church, the bestselling book relied on recovered-memory therapy to uncover Michelle’s childhood abduction by baby-stealing Satanists. Amplified by law enforcement and America’s Daytime TV boom, satanic rumors spread through panic-stricken communities across the world, leaving a wave of destruction and wrongful convictions in their wake. This film digs deep into the roots of moral panics and cult conspiracies, showing how these events still affect and distort our reality today. Directed by Sean Horlor and Steve J. Adams.

I'm not certain that this comes under the tern 'Fortean Documentary' but it's a great watch. A short film on the special effects of the original 1933 King Kong movie.
Kong was after all a monster of sorts if not a cryptid.

King Kong: The Practical Effects Wonder - Documentary​

De Humani Corporis Fabrica​

Focuses on five hospitals in northern Paris neighborhoods. It reveals that human flesh is an extraordinary landscape that exists only through the gaze and attention of others.

CHIMP EMPIRE: The largest group of chimpanzees ever discovered have built a complex society deep in the forest of Ngogo, Uganda — but ambition and neighboring rivals threaten to destabilize their empire. Narrated by Academy Award® Winner Mahershala Ali and directed by Academy Award® winner James Reed, Co-Director of My Octopus Teacher.

From the award-winning team behind the hit documentary series Hellier comes The Unbinding, a terrifying true tale from the dark forests of New York. After discovering a strange statue in the Catskill Mountains, two hikers become the target of chilling paranormal phenomena. As the frightening activity escalates, occult museum curators Greg and Dana Newkirk are called to uncover the startling truth behind the haunted artifact. Directed by Karl Pfeiffer.

I can only handle this a bit at a time. It is a real warp of the mind - the utter indifference of the everything else in the universe regarding wee humanity; the closeness of our species’; the brute truth of the jungle - it is not a romantic scene. Very powerful television.

Deep in the jungle of Central Vietnam, lies a magnificent underground kingdom.

Hang Son Doong which translates as “mountain river cave”, is the largest cave passage in the world and a place of spectacular beauty.

With more people having climbed Everest than visited Son Doong, its pristine charm has remained undisturbed for millions of years.

In 2014, Son Doong’s future was thrown into doubt when plans were announced to build a cable car into the cave.

With many arguing that this would destroy its delicate eco-system and the local community divided over the benefits this development would bring, the film follows those caught up in the unfolding events.

Beautifully shot and scored, “A Crack In The Mountain” is a powerful exposé about how both good and bad intentions can ultimately lead to one of the world’s greatest natural wonders being trampled for money. As well as inspire those who care about our natural heritage to fight to protect it.

This is just one of those days where I find some Fortean trailers!
MerPeople dives into the fascinating world of underwater performers who have turned their love for the mystical sea creatures into real-world careers. From putting on dazzling small-town shows in Florida to the crowning of the King and Queen of the Seas in the Bahamas, this series will take you on a journey of passion and perseverance. Get ready to set sail on an unforgettable voyage and immerse yourself in a world where fantasy becomes reality.

For centuries tales have been told around the world about strange, upright-walking wolves. While these stories are typically thought to be little more than legend or folklore, they live on, and in recent years the terrifying reality behind them is coming to light. In the state of Texas alone, dozens of reports of encounters with Werewolves have been brought to light. These reports were the focus of a recent book by author, Aaron Deese, who not only found a preponderance of such accounts, but also a strange pattern to them; a pattern that fit inside a seven hundred plus square mile area he calls the Texas Dogman Triangle.
Now, a film by director Seth Breedlove is focusing in on the purported triangle. The Dogman Triangle: Werewolves in the Lone Star State brings the information related in Deese’s recently-published book to light for a larger audience in the form of this new documentary from indie-powerhouse, Small Town Monsters.

The film trails Deese, along with independent researcher and author, Shannon LeGro as they map out the triangle. Speaking with witnesses, and experts, LeGro and Deese journey deep into a uniquely American phenomenon that has roots in our ancient past.

The Dogman Triangle will drop on most major VOD and streaming platforms on June 27th. Today, Small Town Monsters is unveiling our first-look at the film via a trailer and the official one-sheet. Small Town Monsters Publishing also handled the release of the book which is already available in paperback from Small Town Monsters website or on Amazon. A digital copy is available, as well.

The Dogman Triangle

A new triangle! It’s what we’ve been waiting for..

Triangles are inherently stranger than other shapes. Cubes, circles, parallelograms, rhombuses, rectangles all mundane in comparison.

Anyone else watch "The British Miracle Meat"?
It's been compared to Ghostwatch and is still available on Channel 4 catchup for a few days.
Gives a whole new meaning to a donor kebab!

meat.png

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...racle-meat-the-most-disturbing-tv-satire-ever

Anyone else watch "The British Miracle Meat"?
It's been compared to Ghostwatch and is still available on Channel 4 catchup for a few days.
Gives a whole new meaning to a donor kebab!

View attachment 68083

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...racle-meat-the-most-disturbing-tv-satire-ever
They discussed this on BBC Radio 5 Live just now.
Apparently many traumatised viewers thought it was real!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...-meat-story-behind-one-best-hoaxes-tv-history

Last edited:
Awwww, bless their little cotton socks!
:chuckle:
I despair at the way people overreact. Being shocked by watching a satirical tv programme isn't traumatic - surviving a terrorist attack, or a sexual assault, or a terrible disaster is traumatic.
Just because the people haven't experienced any of the latter is no excuse for them to over-dramatise. A sense of proportion is called for.

Awwww, bless their little cotton socks!
:chuckle:
I despair at the way people overreact. Being shocked by watching a satirical tv programme isn't traumatic - surviving a terrorist attack, or a sexual assault, or a terrible disaster is traumatic.
Just because the people haven't experienced any of the latter is no excuse for them to over-dramatise. A sense of proportion is called for.
Well quite!
I certainly didn't find The British Miracle Meat as subtle as Ghostwatch or the now largely forgotten Alternative 3.
All of them did succeed however in convincing a proportion of viewers that they depicted reality.
I'm sure none of us battle-hardened Fortean veterans here would be sufficiently gullible to be conned by a mockumentary.

Perhaps those who were traumatised should be shown Ghostwatch. Their mental breakdown would be a psychiatric case study alone.
I recall the airing of Ghostwatch. I'd been out and came home about 15 minutes in, my gf watching it. I was immediately caught up in it and was almost convinced ... until I saw a face in the crowd of a bit-part actress I recognised being 'interviewed' by Craig Charles.
As sleuths in a murder mystery say "My suspicions were aroused when ..."

I've just started watching Paranormal, The Girl, The Ghost and the Gravestone on BBC I player. It looks interesting and not woo woo.

It may be worth looking out for if you have access to BBC. It is about the allegedly haunted farm in North Wales.

I've been staying at a place that has multichannel TV access and I've stumbled on a channel called BLAZE. Its remit seems to consist of 50% lurid crime story coverage and 50% Forteana. In particular, they have lifted the notorious Ancient Aliens show from the History Channel and, as this type of entertainment has been throughly mocked elsewhere on this site, I have nothing new to say about it.

However, the channel also broadcasts another show called The Proof is Out There. This is a whole different proposition. It is an American product which started in 2021 and is still ongoing.

Its bland X-Filesish title is a bit misleading. What the show does is to take contemporary claims of unexplained phenomena and then submit them to scrutiny (usually about three per show). A supposed film of Nessie, for example, will be given the once over by a marine biologist and an expert on video film and then a final verdict will be reached. It is fast moving but full of real information.

It is not at all afraid to conclude with a mundane explanantion or a shoulder shrug. Also the host - Tony Harris, who comes across as very likeable -has a solid background in proper journalism. The show's seriousness is impressive.

Not only that but it enters some areas that this jaded old `Fortean` had not been acquainted with before, for example, strangely `mutated` freak fish found in the Barents sea, a convincing video shot of an apparent ghost ship, a conspiracy theory that the American government are causing forest fires via lazer strikes from space - to name a few.

The proof is out there that not all contemporary TV shows about the Unexplained are complete pants!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13951868/

Ripley's Believe It Or Not.S01E11 ABC - December 19, 1982​

"Ripley's Believe It or Not!" (1983) - Season Two with Jack & Holly Palance!​

Last edited:
I've been staying at a place that has multichannel TV access and I've stumbled on a channel called BLAZE. Its remit seems to consist of 50% lurid crime story coverage and 50% Forteana. In particular, they have lifted the notorious Ancient Aliens show from the History Channel and, as this type of entertainment has been throughly mocked elsewhere on this site, I have nothing new to say about it.

However, the channel also broadcasts another show called The Proof is Out There. This is a whole different proposition. It is an American product which started in 2021 and is still ongoing.

Its bland X-Filesish title is a bit misleading. What the show does is to take contemporary claims of unexplained phenomena and then submit them to scrutiny (usually about three per show). A supposed film of Nessie, for example, will be given the once over by a marine biologist and an expert on video film and then a final verdict will be reached. It is fast moving but full of real information.

It is not at all afraid to conclude with a mundane explanantion or a shoulder shrug. Also the host - Tony Harris, who comes across as very likeable -has a solid background in proper journalism. The show's seriousness is impressive.

Not only that but it enters some areas that this jaded old `Fortean` had not been acquainted with before, for example, strangely `mutated` freak fish found in the Barents sea, a convincing video shot of an apparent ghost ship, a conspiracy theory that the American government are causing forest fires via lazer strikes from space - to name a few.

The proof is out there that not all contemporary TV shows about the Unexplained are complete pants!

Thanks for the heads up, I had filed this show under 'Ancient Aliens' as all froth and no coffee but will check it out.

This show was also not bad:

"Videos gathered from around the globe. Six experts searching for the truth. What will they witness in their search for evidence. This is Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1690621/

They showed 'genuine' paranormal footage such as the Fresno walkers and then tried to recreate the scenes to establish if they were faked or not. To their credit they more or less stuck to the narrative.

The Proof is Out There is also an escapee to Blaze from the History Channel.

Ripley's Believe It Or Not.S01E11 ABC - December 19, 1982
I can't help giggling when reminded of this series. I enjoyed it but ...
I recall, a long time ago, watching a late night cable TV series from America which featured a spoof of this called "Bulls**t or Not?" and presented by Henry Silva.

Back