• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Ah...I assumed since ramonmercado saw it that it posted ok.....
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1745686/ 'The Wall'( die Wand), 2013,

I'm crious now as to where those live who can't see the link........is this a Forteana issue or country issue? :thought:

Wes Anderson's Asteroid City is on Netflix. It's good. All cadence, no melody. Full of those people who , who walk without moving their ARMS!

Wes Anderson's Asteroid City is on Netflix. It's good. All cadence, no melody. Full of those people who , who walk without moving their ARMS!
5495.jpg

Monkey Man: Dev Patel is Monkey Man/Bobby/Kid, he competes in an underground fight club in the Indian City of Yatana, his job is to get beaten up by the "Champion", he gets paid extra if enough blood is knocked out of him, but he also seeks revenge for the murder of his mother and most of his village during a land grab facilitated by a corrupt policeman. He infiltrates an exclusive club/brothel working his way up from the kitchen to becoming a waiter. knowing that some of his targets will be there. In some ways he's like John Wicks, he even adopts a stray dog. teaching it to deliver his weapons. He more closely resembles Martin Feeney from Black '47 though, his targets go beyond the cop who is now Police Chief, they include a fake fakir, Baba Shakti who is stirring up religious nationalism which benefits his henchman Adesh Joshi a political leader who is set to take power in an upcoming election. All three were involved in the massacre of his people, Shakti building a factory on the site if the village. Bobby is confronting a system of power and privilege. His first assault on the trio goes awry and he is taken in by Hijra who live at a Temple of Ardhanarishvara. The Hijra community, transgender, intersex, and eunuch people are also being persecuted by Baba Shakti acolytes. Bobby licks his wounds and prepares for a return engagement.

The fight scenes are beautifully choreographed but also extremely violent, nobody could survive many of the blows inflicted, these are not sham fights. The bouts in the underground club whilst bloody pale in comparison. In flashbacks we observe Monkey Man's idyllic life as a child before the massacre which unfolds in brutal detail as his clan and mother are brutalised, shot and burned alive. His thirst for vengeance is understandable as is the way he deals with the minions of his targets. Bobby has always been inspired by Hanuman, the Monkey God, as he goes through a hallucinogenic experience he literally becomes an avatar of Hanuman. A tale of struggle against injustice and corruption where people refuse to accept the role of victims, a story which seems to be an allegory of modern day India where Hindi Nationalism prevails, and corruption flourishes and the poor can be further dispossessed. Co-Written, Directed and Produced by Dev Patel. 8/10.

In cinemas.

Monkey Man: Dev Patel is Monkey Man/Bobby/Kid, he competes in an underground fight club in the Indian City of Yatana, his job is to get beaten up by the "Champion", he gets paid extra if enough blood is knocked out of him, but he also seeks revenge for the murder of his mother and most of his village during a land grab facilitated by a corrupt policeman. He infiltrates an exclusive club/brothel working his way up from the kitchen to becoming a waiter. knowing that some of his targets will be there. In some ways he's like John Wicks, he even adopts a stray dog. teaching it to deliver his weapons. He more closely resembles Martin Feeney from Black '47 though, his targets go beyond the cop who is now Police Chief, they include a fake fakir, Baba Shakti who is stirring up religious nationalism which benefits his henchman Adesh Joshi a political leader who is set to take power in an upcoming election. All three were involved in the massacre of his people, Shakti building a factory on the site if the village. Bobby is confronting a system of power and privilege. His first assault on the trio goes awry and he is taken in by Hijra who live at a Temple of Ardhanarishvara. The Hijra community, transgender, intersex, and eunuch people are also being persecuted by Baba Shakti acolytes. Bobby licks his wounds and prepares for a return engagement.

The fight scenes are beautifully choreographed but also extremely violent, nobody could survive many of the blows inflicted, these are not sham fights. The bouts in the underground club whilst bloody pale in comparison. In flashbacks we observe Monkey Man's idyllic life as a child before the massacre which unfolds in brutal detail as his clan and mother are brutalised, shot and burned alive. His thirst for vengeance is understandable as is the way he deals with the minions of his targets. Bobby has always been inspired by Hanuman, the Monkey God, as he goes through a hallucinogenic experience he literally becomes an avatar of Hanuman. A tale of struggle against injustice and corruption where people refuse to accept the role of victims, a story which seems to be an allegory of modern day India where Hindi Nationalism prevails, and corruption flourishes and the poor can be further dispossessed. Co-Written, Directed and Produced by Dev Patel. 8/10.

In cinemas.
Courtesy of Sky, we have free tickets to our local Vue cinema for next week and it is a toss up between Monkey Man and The First Omen.
I'm tempted towards the former after reading your review. Think my wife would prefer the latter though.

Poor Things

Something of a feminist film about a Frankenstein-ish surgeon who rebuilds a woman who has committed suicide by jumping off Tower Bridge. She starts off with the mind of a child; living in his house & gradually develops, leaving his house & persuaded to travel Europe with a ‘rake’, [Mark Ruffalo] gaining experience along the way & discovering sex quite graphically quite often, breaking free from societal restraints. She outrages many people along the way.

The surgeon [William Dafoe] has also created various creatures which live with him, such as pig/duck hybrids & more - excellent use of CGI for these, the surgeon’s face, & the sets.

She travels various cities & a cruise & eventually dumps Ruffalo having outgrown him, spends some time as a whore in Paris & gets back to the UK. There’s a twist at the end.

Emma Stone is excellent as Bella. It’s a very stylish film with some humour along the way. Recommended.

Just to add, it's set in a kind of fantasy Victorian era.

Last edited:
Last night on You Tube, I discovered The Survivor (1981), starring Robert Powell and Jenny Agutter.
Set in Australia, Powell plays David Keller, an airline pilot whose 747 crashes just after take-off. Keller stumbles out of the blazing wreckage which killed all 300 others. He's apparently unharmed but is suffering from amnesia over the cause of the crash.
He is contacted by clairvoyant Hobbs (Agutter) who saw the crash, and experiences visions involving the victims. The weirdness builds up as people involved in the incident die mysteriously and Keller is intent on discovering the cause of the crash.
No spoilers - it's quite an enigmatic film - but the 'solution' is tenuous and the 'reveal' at the end poses more questions than satisfactory answers. Based on a story by James Herbert ... who didn't like the film at all.
6/10

Courtesy of Sky, we have free tickets to our local Vue cinema for next week and it is a toss up between Monkey Man and The First Omen.
I'm tempted towards the former after reading your review. Think my wife would prefer the latter though.
Both are currently playing at mine. I think I will see The First Omen first as it has been playing longer and will be leaving sooner. The trailer for Monkey Man looks good. Dev Patel and Jordan Peele are two of the producers as well.

Back