• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I'm not sure where this belongs .. weird sex? humour and jokes?_ so I'm putting it here .. a trailer for Attack Of The Adult Babies (2017) ...

....and NSFW for gore and men in nappies and stuff like that ..

There's a strange 1970s film called The Baby which might have been an inspiration for that.

The Lure, out on Criterion Blu-Ray next month, looks interesting...
I just got through watching it this weekend. it's a very unusual mix between modern musical and magical realism/horror. You'll be wondering who was the the real lure, the mermaid's call, the lure of a rich life, the lure of experience, the lure of love. Cinematicaly it's quite spectacular, and other than a pace slackening in the middle quite compelling.

Most people on this thread have probably heard of Bubba Ho Tep, here's the full film to watch either way ..

Elvis faked his death by hiring an Elvis impersonator to carry on ... trouble was the Elvis impersonator was so good, no one afterwards believed the real Elvis was who he said he was ..

We fast forward to modern times (2002), real Elvis is in a care home now after swapping names with the impersonator, his best mate's convinced he (the mate that is) used to be John F Kennedy .. and there's an ancient ancient Egyptian mummy sucking the souls out of the other elderly residents ... obviously ... so our elderly black guy who's convinced he used to be JFK teams up with an old man who actually is the real Elvis to fight this evil force ... it's fun and well made by Dan Coscarelli ..

Bruce Campbell does a fine job with the Elvis voice.

Most people on this thread have probably heard of Bubba Ho Tep, here's the full film to watch either way ..

Elvis faked his death by hiring an Elvis impersonator to carry on ... trouble was the Elvis impersonator was so good, no one afterwards believed the real Elvis was who he said he was ..

We fast forward to modern times (2002), real Elvis is in a care home now after swapping names with the impersonator, his best mate's convinced he (the mate that is) used to be John F Kennedy .. and there's an ancient ancient Egyptian mummy sucking the souls out of the other elderly residents ... obviously ... so our elderly black guy who's convinced he used to be JFK teams up with an old man who actually is the real Elvis to fight this evil force ... it's fun and well made by Dan Coscarelli ..

I reviewed Bubba Ho Tep for a science fiction magazine when it came out, and - though I've not seen it since its release - I remember it as being one of the most accurate portrayals of old age in the cinema; I'm now in the position where both of my parents are in their early 80s with serious health issues, so maybe it's time to revisit it...

The lost city of zzzzzzzzzzzz. Worthy but dull. 4/10

The Disaster Artist: "I don't want a career, I want a planet". So says Tommy Wiseau, Director/Producer/Writer of The Room, arguably the worst movie ever made. The film opens with Tommy (James Franco) literally climbing the walls in an acting class. He convinces a fellow student in the class, Gregg Sestero (Dave Franco) to move to Los Angeles with him, to become stars.

Gregg makes minor progress but Tommy's total lack of talent and weird behaviour brings on disaster, he insists on performing Shakespeare when his acting coach tells him he would make a good villain or monster. He cannot accept rejection, when a movie producer tells him he could never succeed in a million years, he responds: "but after that?".

Undaunted, Tommy decides to make his own film, eventually producing an incoherent script for The Room in 2001 which will star himself and Gregg. Tommy's bizarre directing style alienates both actors and film crew. But pouring $6 million of his own money into the film he finishes it.

Tommy is an enigma, he claims to be from New Orleans but has an Eastern European accent. When he first meet Gregg, who is 19, he also claims that he is a teenager but looks 40. With his flowing long black hair he looks like Byron (think Gabriel Byrne in Gothic) or a Vampire (think Tom Griffith in John Carpenter's: Vampires). He has apartments in both San Francisco and Los Angeles, putting Gregg up for four years there. No one knows where Tommy's money cones from but as a bank teller comments, his account is a "bottomless pit".

The film is a story of friendship between Tommy and Gregg as well as the filming of The Room and a zany comedy. Tommy's behaviour has to be seen to be believed, incapable of altering or even modifying his accent, hamming up every scene. He is jealous of Greggs relationships because it means he gets less attention. But they are still friends today.

The film became a cult classic and even turned a profit eventually. Tommy went on to claim that he had always intended the film as a comedy rather than a serious drama.

James Franco deserves an Oscar for his portrayal of Tommy but this film may be too bizarre to attract the necessary attention. 9/10.

Last edited:
The Disaster Artist seems to be doing far better than anyone expected it to. There are a few naysayers, but it's the sleeper hit of the year so far. If it's as good as the book, it'll be really something.

The Disaster Artist seems to be doing far better than anyone expected it to. There are a few naysayers, but it's the sleeper hit of the year so far. If it's as good as the book, it'll be really something.

I haven't read the book but the film is great.

Last edited:
The Mercy: A tale of an ameteur sailor who took on an endeavour which was beyond him and resulted him in perpetuating a great hoax for months but ended with his disappearance and likely suicide. Donald Crowhurst (Colin Firth) was determined to enter into and to complete the Sunday Times Golden Globe Race in 1968. But his experience was restricted to inland waterways. Undaunted he designs his own yacht for the competition.

Borrowing money from local businessman Stanley Best (Ken Stott) and retaining Rodney Hallworth (David Thewlis) as a publicist his plans are set in motion. But delays and problems occur. He is pressured into setting off before his boat is ready by Best and Hallworth. Once at sea things start to fall apart as his yacht is unseaworthy and he makes little progress. But the grasping Best holds the titles to Crowhurst's business and house and he will lose everything if he abandons the race. Rachel Weisz plays Clare Crowhurst, the wife who is left to try and keep the family together while her sailor husband sails around the world. The pressures, financial and psychological also take a toll on her but she resolutely supports Donald.

Crowhurst starts to lie about the distance he has travelled and this is made worse by Hallworth further embellishing the claims. As he gets caught in his his web of lies, Donald begins to despair and sinks into depression, eventually adrift in the horse latitudes amid the Sargasso Sea. He hallucinates, seeing his family and even hearing horses on deck.

While the outcome of the film is known, director James Marsh and writer Scott burns keep the tension going as the tale unfolds and nothing seems to be inevitable. The rage and calm of sea is beautifully captured by cinematographer Eric Gautier and editors Jinx Godfrey & Joan Sobel. 8/10.

I'd recommend A Ghost Story if you want to meditate on what it would be like to be a ghost, it's pretty comprehensive. If you get hung up on the pie scene, you're not going to enjoy it, but move beyond that and you have a contemplation of time and its effects on the soul. Plus Casey Affleck is a creepy bastard, so good casting for a ghost (in a sheet).

Frog Dreaming aka The Quest aka The Go Kids (1986)

I've had this rare Australian kids adventure film on one of my external HDD's for years but haven't got round to watching it yet, I'm a bit of collector of obscure and B movie films! Anyway I just saw this article about the film and thought you guys would like the sound of it if anyone hasn't seen it yet, I thought the story was unusual enough to fit in the Fortean Films genre,

Frog Dreaming: a strange and wonderful should-be Australian classic
Starring ET’s Henry Thomas, this is magical, smartly crafted B-grade 80s nostalgia, if you look past the casual racism
Lauren Carroll Harris
Wed 26 Jul 2017 21.03 BST Last modified on Tue 19 Dec 2017 20.53 GMT

Tucked away in the shadowy annals of SBS On Demand, along with all the stuff you used to discover on the channel at 2am on a sleepless night, is a strange and rather wonderful should-be Australian classic: a children’s adventure film from 1986 called Frog Dreaming.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ge-and-wonderful-should-be-australian-classic

The one with the mechanical digger monster, right? Not a bad little movie.

The one with the mechanical digger monster, right? Not a bad little movie.

That's the one, got me thinking of the strange 1984 Harvey Keitel film, Nemo (Dream One), I but bought the DVD a few years back which is pretty hard to find currently but does pop up on amazon from time to time. Another obscure 80s kids fantasy film which seems to be almost completely forgotten. It's produced by John Boorman and also stars Charley Boorman and Jason Connery.

28468523_10155172794446994_8083612457929277945_n.jpg

last weekend i saw the shape of water = amelie + abe sapien from hellboy

caught dans la brume at place de clichy pathé tonight, mystery smog smothers the first four storeys of contemporary paris, parents try to keep a submerged allergen-prone girl-in-the-bubble alive by hook or by crook ... rather earnest piece, fortean teen apprentice appreciated ... made a nice last course to a long day of walking around paris (ile de la cité, pere lachaise, montmartre, rochechouart)

caught dans la brume at place de clichy pathé tonight, mystery smog smothers the first four storeys of contemporary paris, parents try to keep a submerged allergen-prone girl-in-the-bubble alive by hook or by crook ... rather earnest piece, fortean teen apprentice appreciated ... made a nice last course to a long day of walking around paris (ile de la cité, pere lachaise, montmartre, rochechouart)

Looks interesting. The sort of film which could turn up on Netflix if it doesn't get a release in UK & RoI.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5092380/

There's a film version of Ghost Stories - the Andy Nyman theatre production - which looks excellent.

caught it last week, its worthy, classic format

the shockingest part for me was how good paul whitehouse was, i thought he acted them all under the table ... and i truly couldnt stand the guy previously, never saw him do anything either funny or impressive ... gotta say he was aces in this

I'd recommend A Ghost Story if you want to meditate on what it would be like to be a ghost, it's pretty comprehensive. If you get hung up on the pie scene, you're not going to enjoy it, but move beyond that and you have a contemplation of time and its effects on the soul. Plus Casey Affleck is a creepy bastard, so good casting for a ghost (in a sheet).
I'm not surprised that this film bypassed the entire mainstream, and most of our movie buff membership as well. I'm suggesting right now that this will become a huge cult fave. I'd pushed past the dvd cover a few times before last night hearing the beginning of one positive review from Jay Bauman and Mike Stoklasa (Red Letter Media) and I watched it. By the end of it, I had begun to suspect that the creators of this beautiful poem had thrown up walls of simplisticism precisely to keep out the unwanted, the impatient hipsters, the aloof critiqual condescenders and the brute blockmentals in one or two fell swoops. The first sign of a work of genius.

The second is the pacing. Lowery has constructed this thing with gears, in an automotive transmission sense. The first third of the film is going to sort the wheat from the chaff, but if you endure you will be rewarded with an incredible experience of revelation, indeed elevation, as the conceptual framework materialises in your synapses before you understand what you've been caught up in. Gradually, I fell in love. Quite sincerely.

That's the third. The framing concept is very simple. It's a theme I've harped on about at length in other threads (eg Nightmare of eternal descent; Our relationship with the planet we inhabit), and it involves the shift in human consciousness from pure time-bound subjectivity into an enlightened objectivity of perception. Lowery doesn't make it into too grand a scenario; rather, he takes us through the process with great skill, subtlety, personality and tenderness. He doesn't go large scale with a sweeping 'Age of Aquarius' type mass movement, but keeps the premise pretty much at an individual level. It works better. I'm alone. The ghost is alone, and yet he has never really been alone. I'd thoughts at a few points it was proposing a reincarnation theme, but I doubt that now. I'm sensing something much more in tune with perhaps what John Dobson's (visit A Sidewalk Astronomer) cosmology was about, that underpinning our Newtonian physics is a recycling of experience that is universal, incompatible with religious doctrine (he came it from Vedanta and found that wanting - paraphrase "physics must accommodate Vedanta, and Vedanta must accommodate physics"). There's a fundamental, yet invisible redshift occurring through each of us that melds our conscious subjective experience of life with the metaconsciousness of the cosmos in an eternal outplay of vitality and reduction and revitality. I don't know how to put it less awkwardly - the English language has its limitations. And this is another point in the film's favour - it transcends language. I earlier called the film a poem for that reason. It's Zen. It's Tao. Its a meditation. The film breathes in and it breathes out and it breathes in and it breathes out. Sorry. I gush. I'm thrilled because I've been waiting for this a long time.

I can't really expose plot details because they are kind of irrelevant to the big picture Lowery is painting. As with all great works of art, it makes the viewer question themselves, and at the end there was one prominent question on my mind. Either it all matters, or it all doesn't. And Lowery doesn't make up your mind for you. God bless him.

5/5

The ghost might have been reincarnated if he'd gone towards the light at the beginning, but we don't know. The most poignant bit was the brief contact he had with the other ghost haunting the house across the way, it should have been funny, but that was basically the only conversation he had in centuries. It's a film that's really stuck with me, I must admit.

Sorry To Bother You: This looks like a weird flick that maybe has an alternate reality take in it. Plenty of cussin' and a little bit of adult situations:

In an alternate present-day version of Oakland, telemarketer Cassius Green discovers a magical key to professional success, propelling him into a macabre universe. Cast: Lakeith Stanfield, Tessa Thompson, Armie Hammer, Patton Oswalt, Steven Yeun, Terry Crews, David Cross, Danny Glover, Omari Hardwick, Marcella Bragio,Tom Woodruff Jr., Kate Berlant, Jermaine Fowler, Robert Longstreet, Teresa Navarro

The empire of corpses.

In 19th-century London, corpses are reanimated to be used for manual labor. After being invited to join a secret society, a young medical student is given a mission to find the lost writings of Dr. Victor Frankenstein.

I know its animated but I think it's Fortean.

Just read about this new film and thought it sounded unusual and folk enough to fit our list of fortean films,

Arcadia

In cinemas from 21 June 2018.

Scouring 100 years of archive footage, BAFTA-winner Paul Wright constructs an exhilarating study of the British people’s shifting — and contradictory — relationship to the land. The film goes on a sensory, visceral journey through the contrasting seasons, taking in folk carnivals and fetes, masked parades, water divining and harvesting. Set to a grand, expressive new score from Adrian Utley (Portishead) and Will Gregory (Goldfrapp) alongside folk music from the likes of Anne Briggs, Wright’s captivating film essay captures the beauty and brutality, and the magic and madness of rural Britain.

www.bfi.org.uk/whats-on/bfi-film-releases/arcadia

Back