• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
ive always been a mopar guy (volaré, charger, aspen, dart) this movie made me want a 50s chevy two door hardtop !

strange detached and beautiful, i can see the direct continuity with jim jarmusch

how is road to nowhere, monte hellmans 90s flick, i like the main actress, is it any good ?

Never seen Road to Nowhere, don't think it was released where I am. His existentialist 60s westerns are worth a look if you like that TLB vibe, though.

Daughter of God (Exposed) 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposed_(2016_film)

A women witnesses a strange entity at a New York subway station. Later a policeman is murdered at the same place. How and why are the two linked? Keanu Reeves, the partner of the murdered cop, takes up the case torn between his partner's murky past and his need to see justice.

The film switches between Reeves character, (Galbin) and Ana De Amas, (Isabel) The two are somehow linked by the subway murder. Reeves character knows she's involved but how and why? Meanwhile Isabel's life slowly unravels as she is plagued by strange visions. The film charts their journey to a confrontation and a dark realization of what actually occurred that night in the station.

What we actually see played out is a battle between a director's creative dream and a studio's safer vision of a film diverge and breakdown catastrophically. The director disowned the film hence it was credited to Declan Dale an "Alan Smithee".

The sad thing is some of the beginning shots of New York are extremely well done and atmospheric. The film is the worst example I have ever seen of being edited and res-shot to death to try and make it work for the studio, (spot the major continuity screw up at the beginning of the film for one glaring example of a botched re-shoot). The edit pushes the film all over the place until you've actually got very little idea of what is going on. Characters are introduced to try and patch the plot together but if anything make things worse - "Dark" I'm looking at you.

The director, ex-A-Lister fitness coach, Gee Malik Linton, obviously has some talent, with choosing shots and writing a potentially interesting story. Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves for destroying his vision. It's sad to think that due to the ways thing work in Hollywood it's probably unlikely he'll get to helm a film again.

The whole point of the entities/visions Isabel witnesses become baffling and pointless; yet you feel this was a major cornerstone of the film Malik was trying to make before the Lionsgate execs came in and killed it

Lionsgate - you would have made a much more interesting and I imagine profitable film if you'd just left the director alone. Trying to turn a spiritually symbolic film about a women's journey after a horrendous ordeal into a cheap noirish cop thriller was a disgrace. I only hope Linton gets another chance.

Another point the Spanish dialogue which takes up half the film, wasn't picked up as subtitles meaning I had to keep switching to the subtitles for the deaf to try and find out what was going on - also pretty annoying.

Watch it if you like to see a car crash of a film - be warned you'll be muttering "FFS" a lot and hitting the fast forward button a fair few times. Reeves is stodgy, clueless, just awful. It just shows that to function he needs a rock-solid project. In this he resembles a lost and heavily medicated Rotweiler.

Amas obviously has talent but it is hidden under the mess. (She was Joi in Blade Runner 2049)

2.5 out 10.

Last edited:
Daughter of God (Exposed) 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposed_(2016_film)

A women witnesses a strange entity at a New York subway station. Later a policeman is murdered at the same place. How and why are the two linked? Keanu Reeves, the partner of the murdered cop, takes up the case torn between his partner's murky past and his need to see justice.

The film switches between Reeves character, (Galbin) and Ana De Amas, (Isabel) The two are somehow linked by the subway murder. Reeves character knows she's involved but how and why? Meanwhile Isabel's life slowly unravels as she is plagued by strange visions. The film charts their journey to a confrontation and a dark realization of what actually occurred that night in the station.

What we actually see played out is a battle between a director's creative dream and a studio's safer vision of a film diverge and breakdown catastrophically. The director disowned the film hence it was credited to Declan Dale an "Alan Smithee".

The sad thing is some of the beginning shots of New York are extremely well done and atmospheric. The film is the worst example I have ever seen of being edited and res-shot to death to try and make it work for the studio, (spot the major continuity screw up at the beginning of the film for one glaring example of a botched re-shoot). The edit pushes the film all over the place until you've actually got very little idea of what is going on. Characters are introduced to try and patch the plot together but if anything make things worse - "Dark" I'm looking at you.

The director, ex-A-Lister fitness coach, Gee Malik Linton, obviously has some talent, with choosing shots and writing a potentially interesting story. Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves for destroying his vision. It's sad to think that due to the ways thing work in Hollywood it's probably unlikely he'll get to helm a film again.

The whole point of the entities/visions Isabel witnesses become baffling and pointless; yet you feel this was a major cornerstone of the film Malik was trying to make before the Lionsgate execs came in and killed it

Lionsgate - you would have made a much more interesting and I imagine profitable film if you'd just left the director alone. Trying to turn a spiritually symbolic film about a women's journey after a horrendous ordeal into a cheap noirish cop thriller was a disgrace. I only hope Linton gets another chance.

Another point the Spanish dialogue which takes up half the film, wasn't picked up as subtitles meaning I had to keep switching to the subtitles for the deaf to try and find out what was going on - also pretty annoying.

Watch it if you like to see a car crash of a film - be warned you'll be muttering "FFS" a lot and hitting the fast forward button a fair few times. Reeves is stodgy, clueless, just awful. It just shows that to function he needs a rock-solid project. In this he resembles a lost and heavily medicated Rotweiler.

Amas obviously has talent but it is hidden under the mess. (She was Joi in Blade Runner 2049)

2.5 out 10.

After your review I'll certainly give it a look to see if I can also find a good film trying escape from studio machinations. Sounds as if it would benefit from a directors cut. Was it on tv or a vid?

ralph breaks the internet : wreck-it ralph 2 was great tonight, if only because its better written than any other kids movie out there, especially from all the identi-kit retro-gaming crap ... giant stay-puft virus ralph aside i liked everything about it and the internet/tech stuff was nicely articulated

just watched anvil the story of anvil ... i went into it assuming one thing about the narrative only to get turned around and around at every turn ... i held off wikipedia until the film was over ... and im still not convinced by what i saw and read

Beast is excellent. First feature by this director - Mark Pearce has a really steady hand. Brilliant acting all around, especially Jess Buckley. The plot is strong - we see through the eyes of Moll, a repressed daughter with a disturbing and ambiguous past. The story follows Moll's journey through what appears to be endless cruelty and repression visited on her by an unrelenting mother and family, and yet our allegiances are regularly subverted by the director's deft hand in twisting our perception out of certainty. The tale is played out against a backdrop of a murder mystery on Jersey. The sense of enclosure, even imprisonment, is enhanced skillfully by the use of the island setting. Lots to like.

Intriguing to the end. 5/5

The Man Who Fell To Earth (1976)
I still haven't finished it, after 4 attempts. It just rolls too long for me. I have about 20 minutes to go or maybe 15.
I know many people see this thing as cannon, but I got bored with the endless styling for style's sake. It's a real self-indulgence by Roeg, who made far better films, such as Walkabout and Don't Look Now. Maybe I need to watch it on the shrooms or something. I can't give it any more than 3/5. Even watching Candy Clarke's beautiful body for 2 hours gets old. I mean enough. Get to the feckin point whydontcha.

I still haven't finished it, after 4 attempts. It just rolls too long for me. I have about 20 minutes to go or maybe 15.
I know many people see this thing as cannon, but I got bored with the endless styling for style's sake. It's a real self-indulgence by Roeg, who made far better films, such as Walkabout and Don't Look Now. Maybe I need to watch it on the shrooms or something. I can't give it any more than 3/5. Even watching Candy Clarke's beautiful body for 2 hours gets old. I mean enough. Get to the feckin point whydontcha.
On a David Bowie level, how did you get on with The Hunger? .. and on a non Bowie level? .. I can remember key parts of it but I haven't watched it for over 20 years.

Never seen it. I must.
Bowie's cool as f**k as usual in it, it starts with them all in an early 80's New York goth nightclub, The Bauhaus's 'Bella Lugosi's Dead" played by the club DJ and the 'beautiful people' all dressed in designer black clothing. Then we discover they're vampires but they're being stalked. It probably hasn't dated very well, it's all about 80's although F/X legend Dick Smith did the make up for it. There's also a surprisingly tasteful and well filmed lesbian romantic seduction scene in it.

The point is that Newton is fallible, and once "infected" by humanity his dreams of rescuing his family and homeworld fly out the window. It's a story of a tragedy both personal and global that both indicts and sympathises with our terrible flaws as a society. Maybe his biggest tragedy is that even at the end he cannot drink himself to death.

Ghostbusters 3 teaser trailer .. a Jason Reitman film scheduled for 2020

3 ?

surely the logical sequent wouldve been ghostbusters #metoo

First Snow

Above average noir-ish psychological thriller.

Smooth-talking travelling salesman Jimmy Starks [Guy Pearce] is convinced that his future holds big things. However, when his car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, Jimmy stumbles upon a psychic and receives an ominous prediction. With the fortune teller's words lingering in his mind, Jimmy's life slowly begins to spiral out of control.

Ending is weak but build up good, as are cast. Gotta be quick though - it's only on iplayer for another 6 days.

Beasts of the Southern Wild [2012]

The struggle of a father & young daughter & community living on an island in the extreme margins of Louisiana on the wrong side of a levee, dealing with poverty, storms, rising water. He's not exactly an ideal father, instilling in her the need to be tough to survive & never to cry. They have separate shacks until she burns hers down & has to live in his hovel. In a school lesson she's taught that Aurochs lived there in the past & identifies with them as large fierce creatures & visualises them [wrongly] as giant boar with tusks. They crop up several times in the film in CGI form. Her father tells her little about her mother, who she connects with a distant constantly flashing light on the horizon. The girl is terrific, as are the rest of the cast. Moments of black humour.

Danny Boyle's new film 'Yesterday' looks interesting in a Twilight Zone kind of way ..

A bloke gets knocked off his bike when the world experiences a power cut .. jamming on his guitar later, he learns that the world has changed to an alternate reality where The Beatles have never existed and everyone thinks he's written all the songs .. I hope the two blokes mentioned in this trailer who claim they wrote the songs instead are Noel and Liam Gallagher ..

Last edited:
Danny Boyle's new film 'Yesterday' looks interesting in a Twilight Zone kind of way ..

A bloke gets knocked off his bike when the world experiences a power cut .. jamming on his guitar later, he learns that the world has changed to an alternate reality where The Beatles have never existed and everyone thinks he's written all the songs .. I hope the two blokes mentioned in this trailer who claim they wrote the songs instead are Noel and Liam Gallagher ..

Barry Manilow wrote the songs.

It would be cool if the two mystery characters in the trailer are the real Paul McCartney and Ringo .. seeing as Danny Boyle talked the Queen into acting for him in that Olympics short, it wouldn't be impossible .. I think we're supposed to think those bare feet belong to McCartney ..

Back