• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Food

skinny

Nigh
I don't know what it is...

Psilocybin? Food of the Gods? Cheese? Enhanced cheese toasties? What gets you to your personal nirvana, foodwise?

I can't recall any 'Fortean' food accounts.
Perhaps 'manna' from the Bible?

Well, if we're talking about food ...............
There's a certain background taste that I've come across in cheesy pastas, and I'd LOVE to know what it is and how to reproduce it.

..This certain je ne sais quoi was in a convenience package pasta that I used to be able to buy years ago, and I came across the same background taste in a pub meal (goat's cheese and rocket pasta) more recently. I didn't have the nerve to ask for their recipe -the place was too busy.
I'm vegetarian, so it's not going to be anything meaty (one hopes!!)
And it's not simply pesto or garlic or ordinary mustard.
I've bought lots of different herbs and still can't find the taste I'm looking for.
Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Maybe it's just down to the type of cheese used?

Yes, I've wondered that.
I've tried using goat's cheese and Parmesan without success, but there are plenty of other Italian cheeses, I know.

"Must Try Harder ! " :lol:

There's a type of cheese we treat ourselves to from the local farmer's market occasionally; it's a Gran Padano with truffle through it. It costs a fortune, but sooo worth it! It's amazing on its own, but shaved over pasta with a tomato - based sauce or sliced thinly onto a home-made burger... :blissed:

Parmesan cheese isn't vegetarian! Well, you can get veggie parmesan, but it smells more like feet.

Ok, this is a bit of a shoehorn but I'm not sure where else it could go.

USA: The Black Widow has been outeaten.

Two-time defending champion Sonya Thomas lost her hot dog eating title to Miki Sudo, who wolfed down 34 franks and buns in 10 minutes to win the women’s division of the annual Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest in Coney Island.

Thomas, of Alexandria, Virginia, was only able to devour 27 hot dogs and buns.

In the men’s competition, Joey “Jaws” Chestnut hoped to put away 70 hot dogs in 10 minutes. Matt Stonie, who finished second last year, will have another try for top spot.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/quir ... 74356.html

My Facebook feed (hah!) is full of advice about the coming necessity for eating insects. We'll soon run out of food, it seems, so it's nearly time to start frying grasshoppers.

Mythopoeika said:
Swifty said:
Not to worry ... the art of human body part looking bread is still rising:

http://inventorspot.com/articles/body_bread_13546

Eurgh. I wouldn't eat that!
:shock:

Maybe he could make some of the heads up to resemble Jesus and then sell them to the local church for Eucharist? :mrgreen:

We could always pretend to be full body cannibals instead ..

http://www.bestuncensored.com/articles/ ... n-banquet/

Spoil sports ..

http://kotaku.com/5932057/why-eating-su ... a-bad-idea

On a related note, here is what is in my freezer that I am too scared of to defrost :shock:

Expect tentacles.

Edit: I got it partially defrosted once and it started to ooze through the shelf, then I got grossed out and froze it again.

Mmmm.....that looks really yummy [not]

Leave it in the freezer.

hunck said:
Mmmm.....that looks really yummy [not]

Leave it in the freezer.

Seconded. Especially now you've partially thawed it a couple of times...it'll be heaving with potential nasties. :shock:

No octopopsicles for at least eight people, then?

OneWingedBird said:
Someone tell the man about ha-geese. :?

Some of those are really nasty!

Yeah. Some of those Youtube narrators haven't a clue about pronunciation. :)

Mythopoeika said:
OneWingedBird said:
Someone tell the man about ha-geese. :?

Some of those are really nasty!

Yeah. Some of those Youtube narrators haven't a clue about pronunciation. :)

Ha-geese are Score-tesh :lol:

jimv1 said:
Action Archaeologist Xenophobia Jones's racist banquet has to fit in here somewhere.

Aaaarrggh! Don't remind me of those poor monkeys.

Thought this was the best thread to put this in, a pretty obscure bit of food weirdness that I'd never heard of before,

50th anniversary of Oxford Street’s Protein Man
Posted on June 10, 2018 Posted in History
Less Lust, by Less Protein. 50 years ago, a man started walking around with a simple sign exhorting people to avoid protein as it leads to lust.

Stanley Green, better known simply as “Protein Man” was a regular fixture on Oxford Street, and although his message was unlikely to appeal to the shoppers, his dogged determination to spread it made him an unlikely subject for affection.

A relic of a bygone age, when standing around handing out leaflets exhorting the children of the promiscuous 60s to repeat their evil ways.

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2018/06/10/50th-anniversary-of-oxford-streets-protein-man/

Back