Fortean Headlines

brownmane

off kilter
Former Louisiana Teacher Admits Feeding Students Sperm-Laced Cupcakes (link has been corrected)

"i asked Mr Kipling..."
Stu, do you have a direct link for this one? It directed me to FB (I think) and then I got asked if I wanted to go to another link (huffpost)

Last edited by a moderator:

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Stu, do you have a direct link for this one? It directed me to FB (I think) and then I got asked if I wanted to go to another link (huffpost)
Do you really want a direct link to such goings on? No judgement if you do, but . . . :puke2:

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
I'm not going to read the story either. I'm just going to assume her sons name was 'dog'.

EnolaGaia

Staff member

No explanation for 'mystery liquid' falling from sky over neighborhood​

... People in one Eastern Las Vegas neighborhood near Hollywood Blvd. and Charleston Ave. have been completely perplexed for weeks as mysterious brown or black droplets have fallen on their properties. ...

Update ... The mystery substance is ...

honeybee frass, honeybee frass - honeybee shit from the honeybee ass!

:rofl:

'Mystery droplets' plaguing East Las Vegas neighborhood tested as bee feces

In Early February, people in one east Las Vegas neighborhood had no clue what had been falling from the sky and onto their properties for three weeks, covering nearly everything around them.

Marcos Cervantes reached out to 13 Action News, worried that the substance could be toxic. Thursday, the Clark County Department of Environment and Sustainability found out what the black, brown, and sometimes oil-like substance was. ...

"It's what's called bee frass," said public information officer Kevin MacDonald, "also known as fecal matter so, uh, bee poop."

Lab results confirmed the identification as bee feces, and, while bee poop is harmless, MacDonald said it was important they checked. ...
SOURCE: https://www.ktnv.com/news/mystery-droplets-plaguing-east-las-vegas-neighborhood-tested-as-bee-feces

kamalktk

Antediluvian

Japan’s ‘killing stone’ splits in two, releasing superstitions amid the sulphur springs​

This one seems right up forum member Sharon Hill's specialty, spooky geology.

"Predictions of dark forces being unleashed by an evil vixen hung over social media in Japan on Monday after a famous volcanic rock said to kill anyone who comes into contact with it was found split in two.

According to the mythology surrounding the Sessho-seki, or killing stone, the object contains the transformed corpse of Tamamo-no-Mae, a beautiful woman who had been part of a secret plot hatched by a feudal warlord to kill Emperor Toba, who reigned from 1107-1123.

Legend has it that her true identity was an evil nine-tailed fox whose spirit is embedded in the hunk of lava, located in an area of Tochigi prefecture, near Tokyo, famous for its sulphurous hot springs."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...n-two-releasing-superstitions-and-toxic-gases

Last edited:

Ascalon

Abominable Snowman
_123608783_largerwheel.jpg

Endurance: Shackleton's lost ship is found in Antarctic

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
US man smuggling 52 lizards and snakes caught at Mexico border
Nine snakes and 43 horned lizards were concealed in the ‘man’s jacket, pants pockets and groin area’ authorities say
A man who tried to slither past US border agents in California had 52 lizards and snakes hidden in his clothing, authorities said Tuesday.

The man was driving a truck when he arrived at the San Ysidro border crossing with Mexico on 25 February and was pulled out for additional inspection, US Customs and Border Protection said in a statement.
I'm having trouble imagining what it would be like driving under these circumstances.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/09/us-man-smuggling-lizards-snakes-mexico-border

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
I was a scuba diver for many years and dived on numerous wrecks. I have never seen anything like this. It's almost like a filmset from a Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Absolutely astounding. Most wrecks I've seen have been broken down and are covered in a thick carpet of sea life. You can see every detail of that steering gear. Amazing.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
I was a scuba diver for many years and dived on numerous wrecks. I have never seen anything like this. It's almost like a filmset from a Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Absolutely astounding. Most wrecks I've seen have been broken down and are covered in a thick carpet of sea life. You can see every detail of that steering gear. Amazing.
That's because it's all shot in an underwater set in Pinewood. Fact!

More seriously, the pictures are absolutely fantastic.

I went to an exhibition a few years ago (2015 by the looks of it - https://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/museum/n.../telling-the-story-of-shackleton-and-his-men/ ) at the Polar Research Institute in Cambridge. It was superb - a story that you wouldn't believe if it was fiction. I literally cannot imagine what it would have been like for him or his men; it would have been terrifying.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Apparently it is not the intention to remove artefacts. I would have thought that there would be huge interest in being able to see these in a museum.

Under the Antarctic Treaty that went into effect in 1961, artifacts related to Antarctic exploration are protected and may not be removed without prior approval and a permit - and then only for purposes of preservation / conservation.
The wreck itself is a designated monument under the international Antarctic Treaty and must not be disturbed in any way. No physical artefacts have therefore been brought to the surface.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60662541

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Is that the case with the Arctic too? What if, say, someone found Roald Amundsen's plane and wanted to give him a proper burial?

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Is that the case with the Arctic too? What if, say, someone found Roald Amundsen's plane and wanted to give him a proper burial?

As far as I know, there is no comprehensive treaty in effect that encompasses the Arctic region and addresses (e.g.) cultural / historical artifacts within the region but outside the territorial limits of any Arctic-bordering nation.

There's a complex array of organizations and international agreements regarding Arctic matters, but they primarily address economic, defense, territorial, and (natural) environmental issues.

Because the northernmost Arctic region is entirely oceanic, I suppose many possible legal issues are subject to the provisions of traditional maritime laws and treaties.

EnolaGaia

Staff member

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Last edited: