Fortean Headlines

maximus otter

Recovering policeman

Man with ‘whistling scrotum’ escapes death after bizarre medical emergency

A nightmare turned into a reality for an Ohio man who was alarmed to hear weird noises coming from his genitals.

The unidentified 72-year-old, who heard a “hissing'” noise, has been diagnosed as the first person in the world with a “whistling scrotum,” according to the alarming new study published in the American Journal of Case Reports.

The man — out of breath with a swollen face — was rushed to his local emergency room complaining about his bizarre condition, the report said.

An X-ray of the man’s chest revealed that he had “excessive” amounts of air floating within his body, causing his lungs to collapse. If left untreated, this could have permanently damaged his heart and lungs function, potentially leading to death, doctors reported.

Later, the primary source of the man’s strange whistling was discovered to be an open wound on the left side of his scrotum. The injury, leftover from testicle surgery to reduce swelling five months earlier, allowed some trapped air to escape.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/29/man-with-whistling-scrotum-escapes-death-after-emergency/

maximus otter

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
They rushed a doctor from his home to see what the problem was and he said "I don't believe it - you've woken me up in the middle of the night just so that I can hear some ballbag whistling?!"

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
A quick Google shows it is a design used by Aleksey Saburov and several examples are known with this head, on 1937 coins.
He has some real skill. If it's an original by him, it is probably worth more than $20.

Edit: Had a look... OK, $10 is about the price. They're amazingly affordable.

Last edited:

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
He has some real skill. If it's an original by him, it is probably worth more than $20.

Edit: Had a look... OK, $10 is about the price. They're amazingly affordable.
Still quite a mark up on the face value of the coin — and it's not even a new one...

Joking apart, I used to collect coins in a small way, and most legal tender coins are virtually valueless to a collector due to wear. These hobo nickels, when genuine and hand carved, are a beautiful vernacular art form and it would be a pity if they became ridiculously expensive. The joyful surprise of finding one in your change and giving it to your kids as a keepsake has a value beyond "condition" and rarity.

This reminds me a bit of "scrimshaw". Sailors used to while away the long quiet hours carving elaborate designs on bone or ivory. I can imagine a hobo spending a long train journey diligently carving away at a coin, a little bit at a time, the enjoyment being more in the activity than the end result, but still with some thought of financial reward at the end.

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Still quite a mark up on the face value of the coin — and it's not even a new one...

Joking apart, I used to collect coins in a small way, and most legal tender coins are virtually valueless to a collector due to wear. These hobo nickels, when genuine and hand carved, are a beautiful vernacular art form and it would be a pity if they became ridiculously expensive. The joyful surprise of finding one in your change and giving it to your kids as a keepsake has a value beyond "condition" and rarity.

This reminds me a bit of "scrimshaw". Sailors used to while away the long quiet hours carving elaborate designs on bone or ivory. I can imagine a hobo spending a long train journey diligently carving away at a coin, a little bit at a time, the enjoyment being more in the activity than the end result, but still with some thought of financial reward at the end.
The price and the quality makes me want to buy one or two. Amazing work in many of them.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.

Man with ‘whistling scrotum’ escapes death after bizarre medical emergency

A nightmare turned into a reality for an Ohio man who was alarmed to hear weird noises coming from his genitals.

The unidentified 72-year-old, who heard a “hissing'” noise, has been diagnosed as the first person in the world with a “whistling scrotum,” according to the alarming new study published in the American Journal of Case Reports.

The man — out of breath with a swollen face — was rushed to his local emergency room complaining about his bizarre condition, the report said.

An X-ray of the man’s chest revealed that he had “excessive” amounts of air floating within his body, causing his lungs to collapse. If left untreated, this could have permanently damaged his heart and lungs function, potentially leading to death, doctors reported.

Later, the primary source of the man’s strange whistling was discovered to be an open wound on the left side of his scrotum. The injury, leftover from testicle surgery to reduce swelling five months earlier, allowed some trapped air to escape.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/29/man-with-whistling-scrotum-escapes-death-after-emergency/

maximus otter
What a great name for a punk band.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
This headline caught my eye ...

Wingham Wildlife Park rescues swarm of bees from dinosaur's jaws

Dino&BeesInMouth.jpg

With its huge teeth, not many creatures would be brave enough to venture near a vicious velociraptor.

But a swarm of bees decided the fearsome dinosaur's mouth would make a nice resting place. ...

It made for quite a spectacle at Wingham Wildlife Park near Canterbury, which has a dinosaur display featuring 20 models of the beasts, familiar to fans of the Jurassic Park blockbuster movie series.

But staff decided the bees should find a new home and called on expert beekeepers, who safely moved the swarm to a more suitable location. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canter...rm-sets-up-home-in-velociraptors-jaws-269762/

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Escargot???

Giant African land snails put Florida town in quarantine​

Giant snails that can grow up to the size of a rat have been reported in a town in Florida.

The invasive species, native to Africa, carry the parasite rat lungworm, known to cause meningitis in humans.

On June 23, 2022, the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) confirmed the detection of the giant African land snail in the New Port Richey area of Pasco County.

The area was quarantined the next day.

Unlike a Covid-19 quarantine, this one means residents are prohibited from moving plants, soil, yard waste, debris, compost and building materials outside the designated zone.

‘The giant African land snail is one of the most damaging snails in the world and consumes at least 500 different types of plants,’ said the FDACS.
https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/04/giant-african-land-snails-put-florida-town-in-quarantine-16936894/

Trevp666

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Killer Whales Have Been Squeezing Sharks To Death Like Toothpaste For Their Livers

https://allthatsinteresting.com/killer-whales-mutilate-sharks
-----------
Two decades later, the beached corpses of five great white sharks appeared in South Africa. All of their livers were missing — with nearly surgical precision, and mystifying accuracy. Jorgensen and his team had already hypothesized how this happens, and how frequently, of course.

“It’s like squeezing toothpaste,” explained Jorgensen, in reference to the cooperative bashing of sharks that the orcas engage in.

Trevp666

Killer Whales misnamed as they are actually of the dolphin family.
But we knew that.