• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

What's the oldest known case of cancer in humans?​

https://www.livescience.com/archaeology/whats-the-oldest-known-case-of-cancer-in-humans
---------------------------
Although the 1.7-million-year-old toe bone is the earliest known case of cancer in a hominin, a group that includes modern humans, the first written record of cancer doesn't show up until much, much later.

In 3000 B.C. Imhotep — an ancient Egyptian mathematician, physician and architect — wrote what came to be known as the Edwin Smith Papyrus(opens in new tab), a textbook about bodily trauma and surgical procedures. In the text, he detailed 48 medical cases, including several case studies on breast cancer.

The text was written in hieratic, an ancient Egyptian writing system, and was later translated into a two-volume English text by American archaeologist James Henry Breasted. In it, Imhotep described characteristics of different types of tumors, including "oily tumors" and "solid tumors." He also included descriptions of a breast tumor — describing it as "bulging mass in the breast" that is cool, hard and as dense as an "unripe hemat fruit" that spreads under the skin, according to the book "The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer(opens in new tab)" (Scribner, 2010).

While Imhotep gives a number of treatments for the other medical conditions in the text, under "therapy" for the breast tumor he wrote, "There is none." However, he did note the best practices for binding other types of tumors, which involved creating an ointment made of grease, honey and lint, according to The Cancer Letter(opens in new tab), which published an excerpt of the historical text.

Not convinced that's genuine to be honest.

Anyhow, on my bald head I have rabbits tattooed. From a distance they look like hares.
I have my doubts about this one as well. It looks like a set up just for views.

The template ink is not applied well and has a wrinkle. No tattoo artist would apply a flawed template to work with, at least not a good one.

His skin is not even reddened after a large part of his forehead is tattooed.

Tennessee hotel guest wakes up to night manager sucking on his toes​

https://nypost.com/2023/05/05/tenne...-to-night-manager-sucking-on-his-toes-police/
Night portering does do strange things to staff's libidos.

Back when I was doing that job and before me and the Mrs got together, I was closing a hotel down one night so walking round doing security checks so I could lock the building up.

To skip to the end, I ended up having sex with a guest. I was only supposed to be checking the upstairs lounge with the balcony looking over the sea. She was sat in there with a bottle of champagne and asked me if I'd like a glass of it. I can't stand champagne but when does this stuff happen in real life? . All the other staff had gone home at that point so I didn't see the harm in that. Then she pounced on me so we had sex with each other. Gross misconduct so instant dismissal technically but I never got found out. She booked back in to my hotel a few months later, we went out for a meal (all on the top secret hush hush) but this time, I didn't want to have sex with her? .. men are often thought of as panting dogs who'll always say yes to anything but ... that initial night, I think it was the combination of it being a hot night, I hadn't been laid in a while, a nice and friendly women who looked attractive feeding me booze. Mainly, she was a lovely person.

Fast forward to that December, specifically Christmas day when I was in Staffordshire at my parent's house, I received a text from a female co worker who was covering my night porter shifts: "I've just been sacked!" .. "Shit! .. why?" .. I've just got caught out having sex with that guy in room 11." .. "Sorry mate. Was he worth it though lol?" .. "Totally" :cool:

edit: anyway .. back to Fortean Headlines instead

Last edited:
A house in NJ got a sudden surprise 4 pound meteorite smashing through their roof:

Out of this world: Possible meteorite at Hopewell Township house deemed safe, hazmat team says​

An apparent meteorite from outer space crashed into a house in Hopewell Township home. The metallic, rock-like object is oblong is shape and is estimated to weigh about 4 pounds.

The home was occupied during the time, but no one was injured. The Trenton hazmat team came out to the home to make sure there was nothing dangerous to worry about. The house and the meteorite were deemed safe.
This possible meteorite could have come from the current meteor shower called the Eta Aquariids.
Several people in Central Jersey reported a loud boom around noon Monday, roughly the same time as this possible outer space collision.

https://newjersey.news12.com/meteorite-hopewell-township-house-deemed-safe-hazmat-team

Eta Aquarids (IIRC) consist mainly of grain like particles.
The meteorite in NJ is most likely some random cosmic wandering rock.

Eta Aquarids (IIRC) consist mainly of grain like particles.
The meteorite in NJ is most likely some random cosmic wandering rock.
Isn't that what meteorites are, random cosmic wandering rocks! :)
I get it now - the 'witness' bunch. Actually I reserve door slamming for waking the slumbering woman downstairs! LOL
You heard me, then?

Last edited:
Tanzania MPs Warned Not To Undress In Parliament

I don't know if the link will lead to the story since it is one of those irritating live things the BBC does where you click on the headline and can't find the story unless you are prepared to scroll indefinitely. If you were wondering, the MPs took off his jacket and tie after he got overheated in a debate but it is regarded as improper.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/wor...5b3886588b295993d1ae1a&pinned_post_type=share

Tanzania MPs Warned Not To Undress In Parliament

I don't know if the link will lead to the story since it is one of those irritating live things the BBC does where you click on the headline and can't find the story unless you are prepared to scroll indefinitely. If you were wondering, the MPs took off his jacket and tie after he got overheated in a debate but it is regarded as improper.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-africa-65361159?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=645b3886588b295993d1ae1a&Tanzania MPs warned not to undress in parliament&2023-05-10T11:22:46.205Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:c994eef6-3ef0-4b9b-b450-45c594187524&pinned_post_asset_id=645b3886588b295993d1ae1a&pinned_post_type=share
I grabbed it for you so you don't have to scroll.
1683799227821.png

Tornadic storm in Clay County rips top off coconut cream pie​

/oh the humanity!

https://www.ksnt.com/news/local-news/tornadic-storm-in-clay-county-rips-top-off-coconut-cream-pie/
------------------------------
Kimbrough said her son was delivering some of her baked goods to the Clay Center Country Club for its weekly dinner on Tuesday afternoon just as the storm arrived. She said the wind was so strong, it ripped the meringue top right off a coconut cream pie and splattered it across the parking lot.

“There’s no weight to meringue. It’s just air, mostly, so it took off,” Kimbrough said.

Despite the wind damage, the kitchen decided to go ahead and serve the pie to guests.

“He was digging the Cool Whip out of the freezer,” Kimbrough said. “He goes, ‘Don’t worry about it… We’ll fix it.'”

Kimbrough isn’t sure whether diners knew about the last-second pie repair, but said it turned out just fine. Her strawberry rhubarb, another local favorite, made it to dinner without incident.

Back