Fortean Headlines

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Marvel at This Glittering 'Galaxy' Inside a Fly's Testicles
l award that scientist the prize for Most Desperate Stretch in a Grant Application: He claims to be studying fruit flies’ spuds for “evidence to prove the existence of global warming”.

maximus otter

hunck

Justified & Ancient
l award that scientist the prize for Most Desperate Stretch in a Grant Application: He claims to be studying fruit flies’ spuds for “evidence to prove the existence of global warming”.

maximus otter
No he doesn't - you have invented the quote.

Walsh's research investigates how climate change affects fertility; he recently co-authored a study exploring the impacts of extreme temperatures on animal, plant and fungi reproduction, published Jan. 9 in the journal Trends in Ecology and Evolution.

His current work with fruit flies — which led to the image shared on Twitter — examines how temperature affects males' ability to produce viable sperm, a process known as spermatogenesis.
I award you with a prize for desperate shoehorning.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
When stretched out, each half of the testes measures over 0.08 inches (2 millimeters), "which is pretty much the whole length of the fly!" Walsh said.
"How was work today, Dear?"
"Fantastic. I stretched a fly's balls the entire length of its body!"
"That's nice, Dear."

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Outrageous. Absolutely shocked by that. That the Mirror could stoop that low, that desperately, to glorify a z-rate non-celeb and drag in the long-dead Queen of Bleedin' Hearts?

This surely should be in the Sunday Express?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Grandmother's Fantastic Knockers Earn International Acclaim.

/they're real, and they're spectacular!

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/08/grandmothers-fantastic-knockers-earn-international-acclaim-8863336
Nicely Fortean in the middle of the story too, not just the headline!

The name stems from ‘the knocker’, the mythical creature who would knock on the mine walls just before cave-ins. To give thanks for these warnings, and to avoid future peril, miners would cast the last bite of their tasty pasties into the mines for the knockers to enjoy.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
"A collection of shrunken heads which has for decades enthralled adults and children alike may be removed from an Oxford museum following complaints by an indigenous South American people.
The Pitt Rivers Museum is in discussion with representatives of the Shuar people of the Amazon rainforest over the future of the shrunken heads, regarded by the tribe as having deep religious significance.
Curators at the museum, where the seven human heads have been displayed since the 1940s, said talks were prompted after visitors complained the heads as a "freak show"
."

It was the 'freak-show' I hoped to see this year - I'd better hurry up.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/11/shrunken-heads-oxford-museum-could-disappear/

Pitt_Rivers_Shrunken_Heads.jpeg

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
"A collection of shrunken heads which has for decades enthralled adults and children alike may be removed from an Oxford museum following complaints by an indigenous South American people.
The Pitt Rivers Museum is in discussion with representatives of the Shuar people of the Amazon rainforest over the future of the shrunken heads, regarded by the tribe as having deep religious significance.
Curators at the museum, where the seven human heads have been displayed since the 1940s, said talks were prompted after visitors complained the heads as a "freak show"
."

It was the 'freak-show' I hoped to see this year - I'd better hurry up.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/03/11/shrunken-heads-oxford-museum-could-disappear/

View attachment 15518
Fine then, we'll just have to return these ones and make some new shrunken heads.

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
People went to the pitt rivers and complained it was a freak show! the whole museum is a freak show!

(that said, if they are actual real shrunken heads, then that is a bit grim in this day and age).