Fortean Headlines

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Hang on... what did... wait... how... what?
I can't get the link to work though, it just says:
Here's the text of the inaccessible article ...
Woman falsely reported that her husband killed her, police say

A woman who allegedly thought her husband was cheating on her was arrested Tuesday after falsely reporting that her husband had killed her, police say.

Rebbecca Spring Nielson, 44, of Bluffdale, was arrested for investigation of criminal mischief and making a false police report involving death.

The unusual incident started about 2 a.m. Tuesday when a woman called 911 after receiving text messages from a person purporting to be Nielson's husband, stating that "he had shot his wife and didn't know what to do," according to a Salt Lake County Jail report. The woman asked the man if he was serious, and he responded by text that he wasn't joking, the report states.

Police officers from Saratoga Springs/Bluffdale, Herriman and the Unified Police Department responded to the husband's Bluffdale home, surrounded it, and ordered the residents to come out.

That's when Nielson walked up to officers on scene.

Investigators trying to unravel what was going on learned that Nielson and her husband had gotten into an argument several hours earlier because the husband was texting another woman, the report states. Nielson allegedly smashed her husband's laptop, took her husband's phone and left.

After leaving, Nielson began sending texts to the woman using her husband's phone and while claiming to be her husband, the report states. That's when she allegedly told the woman — while acting as her husband — that Nielson had been shot.

"Rebbecca claimed she wanted to see how the (the woman) would respond, and Rebbecca wanted to see if the (woman) would be … covering up the crime," according to the report.

Police say Nielson and her husband have been married for about 10 months.
IMHO it's a a safe bet to go ahead and cancel any first wedding anniversary plans or gift purchases ...

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient
Here's the text of the inaccessible article ...

IMHO it's a a safe bet to go ahead and cancel any first wedding anniversary plans or gift purchases ...
Aw, you know those two will be laughing it up on the porch of the old people's home, "remember that time when I told cops you murdered me!"

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Man Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity in Alleged Alexandria 'Werewolf' Killing

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/...verse-Alexandria-Store-Manager-512052682.html

"Attorneys for the accused, Pankaj Bhasin, have said Bhasin thought the victim was a werewolf. "

Um...
Attorneys said his first stop was at the Four Seasons in Georgetown. The hotel staff called security when he told them, "People are going to die."
... that, to me, says he knew he was going to kill a human, not a werewolf.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member

Ascalon

Devoted Cultist
Patrouille Suisse: Fighter display team overflies the wrong festival
Yodellers get surprise as display team zigged when they should have zagged

BBC News reports...
"A Swiss aerial display team has performed a fly-by over the wrong town, surprising people at a yodelling festival taking place nearby.

The Patrouille Suisse were due to fly over Langenbruck to honour the centenary of a Swiss flying pioneer.

But instead the team flew over the nearby town of Mümliswil, which was hosting the 31st Northwest Yodelling Festival.

A spokesman for the Swiss Defence Ministry has apologised for the error.

The squadron - a Swiss version of the UK's Red Arrows or the US Blue Angels - was due to perform for the 100th anniversary of the death of Oskar Bider.

Bider was the first person to fly over the Alps in both directions, a feat he accomplished in 1913 at the age of 22.

The aviator was born in Langenbruck. But the squadron leader saw the tent set up for the yodelling festival in Mümliswil, roughly 6km (4 miles) west of the town, and misdirected the jets.

A spokesman for the Swiss military told the German language Neue Zürcher Zeitung newspaper that the F-5E Tiger II aircraft were not equipped with GPS technology.

The yodel festival patrons are reported to have enjoyed the unexpected show."

brownmane

off kilter

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
'Passenger in clown suit prompted mass cruise ship brawl, say witnesses'
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...own-suit-prompts-mass-brawl-on-po-cruise-ship

Literally a case of 'cruising for a bruising', which apparently followed an 'alcohol-fuelled afternoon of “patriotic” partying on deck'! Ah, the delights of the Brits on holiday, makes you feel so proud! (This is meant tongue in cheek and should no way be construed as a political comment.)

I think clowns qualify as Fortean. If this is better off in Chat WTF feel free to move it.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
'Passenger in clown suit prompted mass cruise ship brawl, say witnesses'
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...own-suit-prompts-mass-brawl-on-po-cruise-ship

Literally a case of 'cruising for a bruising', which apparently followed an 'alcohol-fuelled afternoon of “patriotic” partying on deck'! Ah, the delights of the Brits on holiday, makes you feel so proud! (This is meant tongue in cheek and should no way be construed as a political comment.)

I think clowns qualify as Fortean. If this is better off in Chat WTF feel free to move it.
It was probably a Kung Fu clown I expect .. yes ..

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
Boris Johnson's new spin doctor was Daily Mirror chicken
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49165504

It has been revealed that Boris Johnson's director of communications used to be the Daily Mirror "Chicken" - a costumed character who mocked Conservative politicians on the campaign trail.

The chicken has crossed the road, from Fleet Street to Downing Street, and he is not the only former Mirror Chicken who has gone on to become a respected figure in Westminster.

_108118279_mirrorchicken-pa.jpg

(mods, this is intended as humourous, but if its too close to politics please remove it. i'm not trying to cause any strife here :) )

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
Man made tsunami generated in Chinese water park. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...UQmOmr_cPoLBNWPBSgudn4jRHs#Echobox=1564646754

It was supposed to be a fun day out at a waterpark, with hundreds of people enjoying the gentle swell of a wave machine while riding inflatable rings.

But when machinery malfunctioned at the Yulong Shuiyun Water Park in northern China on Sunday it instead generated an enormous tidal wave which swept away unsuspecting swimmers, causing at least 44 injuries.

A video of the accident shows dozens of visitors, many riding lilos, being hurled into the air as the artificial tsunami crashes through a pool packed with adults and children.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
This kind of crosses over into the 'strange things happening when drunk' thread but in my locale:

"Man asked wheelie bin and hedge for a fight after drunken night in Yeovil" from: https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/yeovil-court-wheelie-bin-fight-3123614

A man who had an argument with a wheelie bin in the centre of Yeovil was then heard to ask if it wanted a fight.

Residents living nearby were woken in the early hours of the morning by a loud smashing noise.

They looked out to see Daniel Michael Cunningham who was squaring up to have it out with the plastic bin so they called the police
There is no news about which party came worst off in the altercations.