Fortean Headlines

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Forty homes sounds like a modest amount of territory to evacuate in those circumstances—think of how big Hiroshima was in 1945. I suppose I'm missing something again . . .

Boy, I'm glad I'm not a bureaucrat in charge of public safety! You never know what wacko things people are going to get up to in their spare time.

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient
A Musical Puppet Show Blames Michael Jackson’s Alleged Sex Abuse on a Glove-Shaped Alien

https://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/michael-jackson-glove-musical/

"A new play opening in L.A. next month is raising eyebrows. For the Love of a Glove: An Unauthorized Musical Fable About the Life of Michael Jackson, As Told By His Glove, the verbose full title of the show, poses a question that, heretofore, you had probably never asked yourself: What if Michael Jackson wasn’t a disturbed person who, allegedly, committed horrible acts of sexual abuse on multiple children, but, instead, was an innocent human under the control of a gang of space aliens that take the form of sparkly gloves and feed on virgin blood? Naturally, it is a musical. "

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
GONE WITH THE WIND: Man whose deadly farts ‘can kill mosquitoes hired to create Mosquito Repellent made from his intestinal gas’

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10522729/man-farts-kill-mosquitos/
Man whose farts 'can kill mosquitoes six metres away hired to create new repellent'
Joe Rwamirama, 48, from Kampala, Uganda claims that his farts can kill mosquitoes up to six metres away, and that he’s been hired by a manufacturing company to help develop a new repellent

https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/ma...r.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar
Debunked ...

... However, the entire episode was a hoax. The Rwamirama story first emerged on Dec. 9 on the website Ihlayanews. The site’s header contains the disclaimer “nuusparodie waarvan jy hou,” which is “news parody you like,” in the Afrikaans language. We have previously examined several articles labeled as satire, which emerged from the same website. The Ihlayanews Facebook page carries the following disclaimer, clearly labeling Ihlayanews.com “a news parody and satire website”:

“Posts on this page and ihlayanews.com website may contain traces of truth. We do all we can to make sure the articles are complete fiction. All articles in our website are meant for mature audience with a dark sense of humour. If you feel offended in any way by our articles and you want to fight, please send us a place and time. Ihlayanews.com is a news parody and satire website.” ...

The Rwamirama hoax was picked up by the Nigerian websites Newsbreak and Talk of NAIJA, and from there, spread among more mainstream websites in the U.K., Europe, India and New Zealand. Many of the reports mentioned in this fact check, including the original Ihlayanews piece, used the same image, giving readers the clear impression that it showed Rwamirama ...

In reality, that photograph was taken by the photographer Olivia Acland in the Democratic Republic of Congo and published by Reuters news agency in July 2019. The photograph’s original caption read: “A health worker checks the temperature of a man as part of the ebola screening upon entering the General Hospital in Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo, July 15, 2019.” ...

After Newshub reported that the story was a hoax, the New Zealand Herald deleted their original article. However, as of Dec. 12, every other report cited in this fact check was still available online.
SOURCE: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/farts-kill-mosquitoes-uganda/