• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

This chap seems from the above: like a flawed human being, rather than a fiend -- some with strong feelings on this particular issue, may disagree.

I'd never heard of the guy before: the name "did a number" for me, because of my being something of a fan of the American fantasy / alternative-history author Harry Turtledove: his generally-reckoned "magnusest opus" being his multi-volume saga of a historical time-line where in the American Civil War, the Confederacy wins early on, and successfully secedes. Much ensues, which is fairly horrible all-round -- including the First and Second World Wars happening on schedule; but the (very relative) "goodies" therein, being Germany and its allies, including the United States of America; and the "baddies", Britain, France, Russia, and the Confederate States of America. In WWI, the "goodies" win, thus setting the stage for WWII (things as per real-world history, just flipped around).

In Turtledove's WWII, the "Hitler" of the Confederate States -- coming to absolute power early 1930s -- is one Jake Featherston. I'd imagined this name, just to have been randomly thought up by the author; but maybe, inspired to him by "Winnie" as above? Turtledove's Jake F. is shown as a thoroughgoing ruthless and utterly fanatical bastard -- he has a very pragmatic agenda as regards the "race-and-black-people question" in his country: acts accordingly -- and come World War II and his chance to do whatever he likes: implements (like his real-life counterpart and the Jews) a "final solution" to take care of the blacks -- which mostly succeeds; before in 1944, the United States invades, conquers and occupies the Confederate States.

Last edited:
A suspect package sent six people to the hospital and caused an evacuation -- its contents turned out to be some very smelly fruit

/it's durian

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/europe/durian-germany-evacuation-scli-intl-grm/index.html

Not at all surprising when durian is involved. I'm told that - some time before I started in my present workplace - some people in my office brought some durian in to share. Folks in other offices nearby called the campus police to report a gas leak.

Shedworth? As in a shed's worth of music?

Something to do wit overcoming his fear of the ring, or something...

Mike Tyson to fight a Great White shark
Mike Tyson is set to fight a Great White shark. Genuinely.

The extraordinary match-up pits ‘The Baddest Man on the Planet’ against one of the most ferocious predators from the ocean.

The former heavyweight champion of the world has accepted the challenge as part of Discovery Channel’s ‘Tyson vs Jaws: Rumble on the Reef’.

And the 54-year-old will take part in the under-water stunt on 9 August in the name of “scientific research”.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...e-on-the-reef-discovery-channel-a9624611.html

What the actual..??! :pitch:
Seems like it... the actual "Dum... Dum... Dum... Dum... Sha''' Sha'''
1595149314448.png
!"

Last edited:
Hasn’t this been mooted before?

There was a news story from a couple of weeks ago that said the Beatles were due to reform in the 1970s after being offered a zillion dollars, but didn't because the support act would have been a man fighting a shark. Ringo seems to have got his wires crossed there when he suggested that was proposed, but the moneybags promoter did want to stage a shark fight at some point.

This story was further distorted into the proposal being The Beatles fighting a shark, which would have been something. But not something good.

Coon cheese to be 'retired' after 21-year fight to change its name

It always bemused and surprised me when I lived in Australia in 1988 that Coon cheese was one of the leading brands. Well, come 2020 the brand is no more. And looking at the responses to the article in the Sydney Morning Herald (my paper of choice when living in Sydney) this decision is raising a good deal of ire and scorn. The company gets its name from its Canadian founder Edward William Coon (was he related to Star Trek writer Gene L Coon, I wonder?)

https://www.smh.com.au/business/con...change-its-name-20200724-p55f71.html#comments

Coon cheese to be 'retired' after 21-year fight to change its name

It always bemused and surprised me when I lived in Australia in 1988 that Coon cheese was one of the leading brands. Well, come 2020 the brand is no more. And looking at the responses to the article in the Sydney Morning Herald (my paper of choice when living in Sydney) this decision is raising a good deal of ire and scorn. The company gets its name from its Canadian founder Edward William Coon (was he related to Star Trek writer Gene L Coon, I wonder?)

https://www.smh.com.au/business/con...change-its-name-20200724-p55f71.html#comments
It is kind of sad that a family name is not allowed particularly when its (mis)connotation is all people recognize it for rather than recognizing that the name of the cheese was derived from its maker. But I also know that people often change their names because of what words' connotations become.

https://www.nbcnews.com/specials/china-illegal-fishing-fleet/

The battered wooden “ghost boats” drift through the Sea of Japan for months, their only cargo the corpses of starved North Korean fishermen whose bodies have been reduced to skeletons. Last year more than 150 of these macabre vessels washed ashore in Japan, and there have been more than 500 in the past five years.

For years the grisly phenomenon mystified Japanese police, whose best guess was that climate change pushed the squid population farther from North Korea, driving the country’s desperate fishermen dangerous distances from shore, where they become stranded and die from exposure.

But an NBC News investigation, based on new satellite data, has revealed what marine researchers now say is a more likely explanation: China is sending a previously invisible armada of industrial boats to illegally fish in North Korean waters, violently displacing smaller North Korean boats and spearheading a decline in once-abundant squid stocks of more than 70 percent.

Back