Fortean Headlines

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Fraudsters dupe Indian doctor into buying Aladdin-style magical wish-granting lamp for £72,000 - even conjuring up their own GENIE - as two men are arrested over scam

'The wife of one of these men was also involved in the fraud. She is on the run,' Rai added.

In his complaint filed last Sunday, Khan said one of the men pretended to be an occultist and made a 'jinn' - a supernatural figure - appear from the lamp, local media reported.

But when Khan asked if he could touch the genie or take the lamp home, they refused, saying it might cause him harm, the complaint stated.

Eventually they sold the lamp to him, promising it would bring health, wealth and good fortune.

Khan stated that he later realised the 'genie' was actually just one of the men in disguise.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...or-duped-buying-Aladdins-lamp-genie-show.html

Ascalon

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Whale sculpture catches crashed Dutch metro train

A train driver in the Netherlands has had a lucky escape thanks to a fortuitously placed art installation.
A metro train in Spijkenisse, near the city of Rotterdam, crashed through a barrier at the end of the tracks shortly before midnight on Sunday.
But rather than plummeting 10m (32ft) into the water below, the train was left suspended dramatically in the air.
It ended up being delicately balanced on the large sculpture of a whale's tail at the De Akkers metro station.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
The big man in the sky was looking out for that driver then.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Here's a photo of the how the Dutch metro train came to rest.

According to this AP dispatch, the whale sculpture is made of 'plastic'. The dispatch also wins the title of the day contest.

What a fluke: Dutch whale tail sculpture catches metro train
https://apnews.com/article/international-news-netherlands-rotterdam-de0577175ba65260b4bd0923bf7b4a08
It was obviously in the right place or it could have been a killer, a real case of the blues. And I do wonder whether the sculpture was porpoise-built. Fin.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
The train now leaving platform one will be stopping......about 100 yards away in the wrong direction, resting on the tail end of a giant whale sculpture.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I'm impressed that the sculpture held up under that weight.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Doesn't a man like that have bodyguards?

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
In Brazil, a parrot puppeteer’s death stirs the nation

lt is rare for an individual death to stir a country. And it is extraordinary for national grief to be triggered by the passing of a puppet.

But so it was in Brazil on Monday, as an outpouring of emotion followed news that the puppeteer behind Louro José – a 2-foot tall parrot that is a fixture on the country’s most popular morning show – had died.

Puppeteer Tom Veiga suffered a stroke caused by an aneurysm at his home in Rio de Janeiro, at age 47. For more than two decades, his green-and-yellow bird was comic relief on the program “Mais Voce,” somewhere between sidekick and co-host to Ana Maria Braga. The program was a welcome source of levity in a country accustomed to news of turbulence.

https://apnews.com/article/entertai...aneiro-birds-b128103e2c25305f503b99bb749de027

maximus otter

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Here's a photo of the how the Dutch metro train came to rest.

According to this AP dispatch, the whale sculpture is made of 'plastic'. The dispatch also wins the title of the day contest.

What a fluke: Dutch whale tail sculpture catches metro train
https://apnews.com/article/international-news-netherlands-rotterdam-de0577175ba65260b4bd0923bf7b4a08
We went for a walk there in 2017. This is how that place looks from the other side. You can (barely) see the whale fins.

viaduct.jpg

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Why are the police investigating that? Does Jason Momoa feel threatened by a granny?

Edit: Reading between the lines, it may be an impostor doing a new form of money laundering scam.