Fortean Headlines

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Trust John Lydon to upstage corona virus.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Ruh-roh ... :willy:

Our Solar System Is Going to Totally Disintegrate Sooner Than We Thought

Although the ground beneath our feet feels solid and reassuring (most of the time), nothing in this Universe lasts forever.

One day, our Sun will die, ejecting a large proportion of its mass before its core shrinks down into a white dwarf, gradually leaking heat until it's nothing more than a cold, dark, dead lump of rock, a thousand trillion years later.

But the rest of the Solar System will be long gone by then. According to new simulations, it will take just 100 billion years for any remaining planets to skedaddle off across the galaxy, leaving the dying Sun far behind. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/our-so...o-totally-disintegrate-sooner-than-we-thought

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
"Sex Pistols star John Lydon bitten by flea on his penis after befriending squirrels"
How is this newsworthy? How is it newsworthy?!!?

Black holes may not exist, but fuzzballs might, wild theory suggests
Yes, fuzzballs do exist, and they are all under my bed.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
Angel, devil and blood-red heart appear at Martian south pole

It's summer at the south pole of Mars, and the angels and devils are coming out to play. You can see them both in a stunning new image of the recently thawed pole, taken by the European Space Agency (ESA). ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/martian-angel-satellite-image.html

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
My guess is "no", because the canonical 'Pioneer anomaly' alludes to the spacecrafts' rate of acceleration rather than any deviation in trajectory.
Acceleration is a change in trajectory. A moving target that you would have hit, but dont because you speed up, would be an example. In this case a space probe would be in a slightly different location vis a vis gravity wells, which would have an effect.

Similar to the spin of an object that does not have its center of gravity in the middle. The center of gravity of a probe could be very slightly farther or closer than the expected distance, resulting in the gravitational attraction between the probe and the solar gravity well being oh so slightly different than expected, which would affect velocity.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
When I alluded to trajectory I was referring to a path followed. I've never heard of velocity / speed being considered an intrinsic or defining component of a trajectory, though it's certainly true velocity can help determine a trajectory's characteristics (e.g., distance thrown or flown)

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
When I alluded to trajectory I was referring to a path followed. I've never heard of velocity / speed being considered an intrinsic or defining component of a trajectory, though it's certainly true velocity can help determine a trajectory's characteristics (e.g., distance thrown or flown)
I'm sure my wording/phrasing is incorrect, hopefully the idea was clear.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
It all sounds like a load of ballistics to me.