Fortean Headlines

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I know...disgraceful behaviour.
(BTW do you have a link to that for...er.....research purposes ?)
Ah, you're interested in the heating. It certainly looks very effective.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Toronto woman finds knife-wielding squirrel in back yard

A Toronto woman captured video when she looked into her backyard and was confronted with a bizarre sight: a squirrel holding a knife.

Andrea Diamond, who lives in the Rosedale area of Toronto, said squirrels are a common sight in her back yard, but Wednesday morning she spotted a squirrel that had picked up a paring knife she had left near a tent outside her home. ...

She said the rodent gnawed on the knife handle for a while before abandoning the tool. She said the animal returned a short time later to chew on the knife a little longer.

Diamond said the squirrel did not appear to have injured itself with the sharp object.
SOURCE (With Video): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...wielding-squirrel-in-back-yard/9701611265002/

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
I think that I've seen a documentary or something of this nature. It was showing that monkeys were more productive a getting coconuts from the trees then humans because they could climb faster. So no surprise that monkeys are being used. I don't know if in this documentary it was "forced" labour as I think the monkeys earned rewards for getting the coconuts.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
If only they had rigged it with a pipe to the mouth to shoot out flames too.

IbisNibs

Reaction score
Geez, what are they putting in dog food to make you hallucinate like that without eating it? No wonder some dogs act so weird and bark a lot.

Seriously, maybe the poor guy is schizophrenic. Schizophrenia starts to manifest in young adulthood, doesn't it? :(

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
For those who've ever wondered if plants are sentient, you'll never look at a salad the same way again!

SCIENTISTS HAVE TAUGHT SPINACH TO SEND EMAILS

spinach.jpg

Through nanotechnology, engineers at MIT in the US have transformed spinach into sensors capable of detecting explosive materials. These plants are then able to wirelessly relay this information back to the scientists.

When the spinach roots detect the presence of nitroaromatics in groundwater, a compound often found in explosives like landmines, the carbon nanotubes within the plant leaves emit a signal. This signal is then read by an infrared camera, sending an email alert to the scientists.

This experiment is part of a wider field of research which involves engineering electronic components and systems into plants. The technology is known as “plant nanobionics”, and is effectively the process of giving plants new abilities.

“Plants are very good analytical chemists,” explains Professor Michael Strano who led the research. “They have an extensive root network in the soil, are constantly sampling groundwater, and have a way to self-power the transport of that water up into the leaves.”

“This is a novel demonstration of how we have overcome the plant/human communication barrier,” he adds.
https://www.euronews.com/living/202...ils-and-it-could-warn-us-about-climate-change

IbisNibs

Reaction score
Brilliant science, bizarre headlines!

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I didn't realise the slur actually comes from 'raccoon' until I just Googled it.

There are two graves in Rottingdean church yard that have just been covered because they include the word in the epitaphs. I think they are going to be removed or permanently altered.

View attachment 28402

View attachment 28401

View attachment 28403

Full story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-53065693
Quoting my own post as there's an update to this story...

Sussex music hall singers' 'racist' gravestones to be re-engraved

A "derogatory and racist expression" will be removed from the headstones of two music hall singers.

But the gravestones of G H Elliott and Alice Banford, who both wore blackface, will return to the East Sussex graveyard from where they were removed.

They were moved from St Margaret's Church, in Rottingdean, last June due to their "offensive" inscriptions.

Mark Hill QC, Chancellor of the Diocese of Chichester, has now ruled the headstones should be altered.

It comes after the families of both singers were contacted by church officials over the re-engraving.

The performers, who wore blackface up until the 1950s, died in 1962, and their headstones were erected within weeks of each other.

Full story on BBC News - Sussex

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A toddler is about to release an album recorded in the womb

So many talented musicians got their start as children: from Mozart to Michael Jackson, to Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift. Fifteen-months-old Luca Yupanqui has them all beat: she recorded her first album before being born.

"Sounds of the Unborn" will be released on April 2 by Sacred Bones Records. Luca's sounds were captured by her parents, musicians Elizabeth Hart and Iván Diaz Mathé, using biosonic MIDI technology.

"The electrodes receive electromagnetic impulses that are translated into MIDI and then hooked up to synthesizers," Hart told CNN. The MIDI devices were placed on Hart's womb over 5 sessions, each one-hour long.

According to Hart, Diaz Mathé had experimented with biosonic MIDI technology in the past to capture music from plants. "The concept of music coming from a different source was what motivated this new experimentation," Hart said.

In a release by Sacred Bones, Luca's music is defined as "the expression of life in its cosmic state -- pre-mind, pre-speculation, pre-influence, and pre-human."

FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/06/us/toddler-recorded-album-before-birth-trnd/index.html

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
A "derogatory and racist expression" will be removed from the headstones of two music hall singers.
There is something really terrifying about those wooden gags over gravestones, predicated on the imagined offence which could be taken by certain visitors.

Why should those visitors be credited with such little historical knowledge? Would they confuse performers, scratching a living in their dubious blackface trade, with slave-owners who made their fortunes from human misery?

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Police: Man killed while filming prank robbery video for YouTube in Old Hickory

https://www.wkrn.com/news/police-1-killed-in-hermitage-shooting-2

"Detectives were told that Wilks and a friend were participating in a “prank” robbery as part of a YouTube video and approached a group of people, including the shooter, with butcher knives.

The shooter says he was unaware of the prank and shot Wilks in defense of himself and others."

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
Quoting my own post as there's an update to this story...

Sussex music hall singers' 'racist' gravestones to be re-engraved

But the gravestones of G H Elliott and Alice Banford, who both wore blackface, will return to the East Sussex graveyard from where they were removed.

They were moved from St Margaret's Church, in Rottingdean, last June due to their "offensive" inscriptions.

Mark Hill QC, Chancellor of the Diocese of Chichester, has now ruled the headstones should be altered.

It comes after the families of both singers were contacted by church officials over the re-engraving.

The performers, who wore blackface up until the 1950s, died in 1962, and their headstones were erected within weeks of each other.

Full story on BBC News - Sussex
I remember seeing a remembrance stone (if that's what they're called) on a church many years ago that read "Nigger - a friend of children" and some brief mid- 20th century dates. Clearly a commemoration for a dog, odd that it was on the side of a church. A friend said he'd seen something similar before, I don't recall if it was also on a church wall, yes, same name.

I presume it was the same name on these gravestones, neither article makes it clear. Perhaps it is something that should be changed but it's hardly an emergency that requires boarding over.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I remember seeing a remembrance stone (if that's what they're called) on a church many years ago that read "Nigger - a friend of children" and some brief mid- 20th century dates. Clearly a commemoration for a dog, odd that it was on the side of a church. A friend said he'd seen something similar before, I don't recall if it was also on a church wall, yes, same name.

I presume it was the same name on these gravestones, neither article makes it clear. Perhaps it is something that should be changed but it's hardly an emergency that requires boarding over.
In the original 'Dam Busters' film the dog is called 'nigger', this has now been edited out of newer versions screened on tv.

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
In the original 'Dam Busters' film the dog is called 'nigger', this has now been edited out of newer versions screened on tv.
I know that "nigger" was a common name for black pets of various species, editing it out of contemporary screenings of The Dambusters and other older films is fair enough and has been probably been happening for years, if not decades.