Fortean Headlines

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I know that "nigger" was a common name for black pets of various species, editing it out of contemporary screenings of The Dambusters and other older films is fair enough and has been probably been happening for years, if not decades.
Indeed, i seem to recall the first time i noticed the edit was in the early 90's

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I know that "nigger" was a common name for black pets of various species, editing it out of contemporary screenings of The Dambusters and other older films is fair enough and has been probably been happening for years, if not decades.
On a slight tangent i was looking up something in an atlas recently and it stuck me that Niger is right next to Nigeria, this is not what intrigued me, what i couldnt work out is what natives of Niger are refered to as, the obvious answer would be Nigerians, but that is what natives of Nigeria are known as.

Ogdred Weary

Very Naughty Boy
Reaction score
On a slight tangent i was looking up something in an atlas recently and it stuck me that Niger is right next to Nigeria, this is not what intrigued me, what i couldnt work out is what natives of Niger are refered to as, the obvious answer would be Nigerians, but that is what natives of Nigeria are known as.
Nigels.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I remember seeing a remembrance stone (if that's what they're called) on a church many years ago that read "Nigger - a friend of children" and some brief mid- 20th century dates. Clearly a commemoration for a dog, odd that it was on the side of a church. A friend said he'd seen something similar before, I don't recall if it was also on a church wall, yes, same name.

I presume it was the same name on these gravestones, neither article makes it clear. Perhaps it is something that should be changed but it's hardly an emergency that requires boarding over.
It wasn't the same word on the gravestones, in fact it's a different term on each one.

The stones were originally boarded over after complaints from visitors, then removed entirely (there's nothing there at all now). The original headstones are going to be 'edited' and then reinstalled.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
what i couldnt work out is what natives of Niger are refered to as
I think you'll find that it is common-place for the inhabitants of Niger to be called 'Nigerois', in reference to their predominately French-language-speaking history.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Obviously a farmers get together.

Sheep found as police raid Bacup drinking party
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lancashire-55964154
I do find it funny that the BBC article finds it necessary to include the line;
"Under government rules, it is illegal to meet socially with people indoors during lockdown, unless they are part of your household or support bubble."
But no mention of whether or not it is illegal to meet sheep.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think you'll find that it is common-place for the inhabitants of Niger to be called 'Nigerois', in reference to their predominately French-language-speaking history.
Thank you it was a genuine enquiry that was puzzling me :)

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Nigeriens from Niger, Nigerians from Nigeria (which is why the BBC refers to Nigerois for the former).
Live and learn.

Trevp666

Reaction score
We knew a bloke from Nigeria called Ian.
We called him Nigerianian.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
G. H. Elliott was among the most celebrated of the UK blackface minstrels. He lived until 1962 - long enough to have been given the This is Your Life treatment on television, by Eamonn Andrews, in 1957!

The N-word is not on the gravestone. Elliott was known for decades as "The Chocolate-Coloured Coon."

It was a branch of show-biz. that may be unlamented but there was nothing hateful about it. It provided a framework for the revival of a lot of old-time songs. The destabilising effect of two world wars, tended to make the Nineties a focus for nostalgia, so the minstrel-show lasted and lasted.

It is notorious that Britain had a Black and White Minstrel Show on mainstream television well into the 1970s.

I hate to think of a time when we could not see Minstrel Man, the 1944 tribute to a trade thought dying.

Directed by Joseph H. Lewis, it is a very haunting piece, regarded as one of the finest B-movies. :clap:

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
The Black & White Minstrel Show was terrible & seemed to go on for ever. I used to hate it as a kid - a Sunday evening festival of tedium. The inappropriateness didn't even enter my head.
Yes I can remember my heart sinking whenever it came on!

Sollywos x

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The Black & White Minstrel Show was terrible & seemed to go on for ever. I used to hate it as a kid - a Sunday evening festival of tedium. The inappropriateness didn't even enter my head.
It was interminable and brought greyness into my life.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
It was interminable and brought greyness into my life.
Old relatives would stir and put on their spectacles . . .

"George Mitchell . . . he was Uncle Bram's Sergeant!"

It stood up to scrutiny. The Minstrels were an off-shoot of some ENSA-type initiative. I gather Uncle Bram never left London. :)

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
It is notorious that Britain had a Black and White Minstrel Show on mainstream television well into the 1970s.
Not only that, but I sincerely believe that the superficially "wholesome" B&W Minstrel Show dangerously distorted many later discussions about "black face" and "minstrelsy".

This has long been a big discussion in the world of traditional English dance and traditional plays where there was some traditional basis for performers blackening their faces.

Proponents of the blackening of faces argue that it is a form of ritual disguise and has nothing to do with "blackface minstrelsy".

Opponents of the blackening of faces argue that it is either historically linked to blackface minstrelsy, or is so visually similar to it that it is no longer appropriate in the modern world.

Those who have studied the history dispassionately generally concur that there is sufficient historical link with blackface minstrelsy that blacking up for traditional performances cannot be defended as a practice now that we are more aware of the genuine offence it can cause.

The debate has been quite entrenched and at times bitter.

I have often felt that the image of the "Black and White Minstrel Show" gave the defenders of black face traditional performance the chance to suggest that the blackface minstrel was a fairly positive image. (I disagree with them!)

Generally the performers in the B&W MInstrel Show were portrayed as a suave, talented, and humorous: bow tie, straw boater, striped waistcoat, athletic dancing, crooning smoothly, always cheerful — almost to the point where the gross caricature of black features could be (dishonestly) reinterpreted as a tribute or homage to black people. The B&W Minstrel Show was largely seen as middle of the road, wholesome entertainment. It's passing was mourned by the sort of people who say, "You have to say 'Baa baa blue sheep now," and "It is political correctness gone mad."

However, when you read about real blackface minstrelsy from the era when it was a popular form of entertainment, it was terrible. It presented the worst possible caricature of black people as lazy, stupid and dishonest. Even black performers of the time were required to add extra black make up to exaggerate their features, and to perform to a white audience in a way that pandered to and reinforced existing prejudices against black people. The more I have read about it, the more I have understood how disgusting it was.

-methode-times-prod-web-bin-ed6c0252-dbb7-11e9-a836-b8a7068a08fb.jpg

Black and White Minstrel Show.
A superficially wholesome, suave, debonair and glamorous 'Saturday night TV" image that those with an agenda might feel able to defend.

images.jpeg

A more typical "blackface minstrel" which can only be interpreted as a grossly insulting stereotype.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Generally the performers in the B&W MInstrel Show were portrayed as a suave, talented, and humorous: bow tie, straw boater, striped waistcoat, athletic dancing, crooning smoothly, always cheerful —
Athletic dancing?.. That must've passed me by.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
Ogdred Weary said:
Indeed. One of my schoolfrends had such a pet, a black Labrador so named. But even by the mid 70's it was damn embarrassing calling its name in the park.

Cochise

Priest of the cult of the Dog with the Broken Paw
Reaction score
I think that's talking to the Voodoo religion rather than colour per se. I doubt they could have found a full dress Voodoo practitioner for the production. And anyway surely the whole point is that he is fake?

I find Papa Lazarou incredibly funny, despite the fact he was probably on screen for about 8 minutes total, so maybe biased.