Fortean Headlines

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Link to the story

Headline: 90,000 greasy pennies dumped on Georgia man's drive as final payment after quitting his job

View attachment 37269

Gist of the story: Chap leaves job on bad terms. Employer pays him $915 in pennies contaminated with grease. Chap spends ages cleaning them.

In a meaningless Fortean coincidence, the total value of the coins is £666 according to the article. (I haven't checked the exchange rate.)

This happened in America, but this sort of stunt could be challenged if it happened in the UK as this amount of copper coinage is not "legal tender". I remembered the gist of this from my basic English law training many years ago but looked it up today:

Edited extract from Wikipedia:
At the introduction of decimal currency, and the Coinage Act, 1971, laid down that coins denominated above 10 pence became legal tender for payment not exceeding 10 pounds, non-bronze coins denominated not more than 10 pence became legal tender for payment not exceeding 5 pounds, and bronze coins became legal tender for payment not exceeding 20 pence.

Throughout the United Kingdom, coins valued 1 Pound, 2 Pounds, and 5 Pounds Sterling are legal tender in unlimited amounts. Twenty pence pieces and fifty pence pieces are legal tender in amounts up to 10 pounds; five pence pieces and ten pence pieces are legal tender in amounts up to 5 pounds; and pennies and 2 pence coins are legal tender in amounts up to 20 pence.
I think we’ve done that on another thread.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
I saw it here earlier too, but don't recall that they were greasy though. Yuk.

gordonrutter

Within reason
Staff member
Reaction score

IbisNibs

Reaction score
feinman said:
No one wants to deal with toilet ghosts though... :thought:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/japans-bathroom-ghosts

I like Teke Teke. That one is especially creepy.

Creepy? Poor maligned things! Some of them are very helpful! Consider the Akename :
"While not seen as a particularly frightening creature, the image of a gross little sprite licking the dirt off of a tub is not exactly friendly."
What could e friendlier than someone who's willing to clean your tub for you?

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Of course. It was Uri wot dun it.

1617021514928.jpeg

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
And there we were thinking it was the high tides in the morning and night time, and the multiple tugboats and dredging done under the hull, 'wot dun it'.

Sollywos

Studying for finals of Grumpy Old Lady degree.
Reaction score
A great one for made up fortean headlines :D

Came across both the rags mentioned when my B&B guests left them behind. Usually binned them but remember my attention being taken by a Fortean type headline so naturally I had a look through as a break from sink cleaning and duvet changing. I was amazed that they got away with such utter rubbish! I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry!! I'd forgotten all about it until just now lol

Sollywos x

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Came across both the rags mentioned when my B&B guests left them behind. Usually binned them but remember my attention being taken by a Fortean type headline so naturally I had a look through as a break from sink cleaning and duvet changing. I was amazed that they got away with such utter rubbish! I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry!! I'd forgotten all about it until just now lol

Sollywos x
Here are some classics from the 'sunday sport'

Attachments

• 100_8321.JPG
    100_8321.JPG
    357.7 KB · Views: 4
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Sunday_Sport.jpg
    Sunday_Sport.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 4

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I remember visiting the UK and being surprised at the kind of comic book newspapers you have there. I hadn't seen such before.
Thankfully, there aren't many of them. I have no idea who reads them.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
The Sunday Sport has many weird obsessions. Lookalike Sex Dwarves being one of their favourites.

IbisNibs

Reaction score
It wasn't a good one for the geologist!