• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

The Busch item ID is HO 7948 (apparently meaning it's modeled at HO scale). It's listed online at multiple hobby sites in Germany and the Netherlands.

Busch-Man&Boar-HO-7948.jpg

I like that the name of the item translates directly as 'Boar Alarm'.
I think i'd be pretty alarmed too.

The London Metro newspaper likes to do stories about people who have bought their first home in order to taunt us plebs who can't afford it. However, I may have a slight feeling of schadenfreude with this one:

Singer VV Brown reveals her first home nightmare: ‘My luxury flat was haunted’​

https://metro.co.uk/2021/08/03/vv-b...ightmare-my-luxury-flat-was-haunted-15026020/
I wonder if that'll make the flat more interesting and desirable to people 'staticgirl?'

The London Metro newspaper likes to do stories about people who have bought their first home in order to taunt us plebs who can't afford it. However, I may have a slight feeling of schadenfreude with this one:

Singer VV Brown reveals her first home nightmare: ‘My luxury flat was haunted’​

https://metro.co.uk/2021/08/03/vv-b...ightmare-my-luxury-flat-was-haunted-15026020/
"Despite its perks, I realised quite soon after that, that the flats had been converted from a mental hospital for the criminally insane.
I hated it because it was haunted. Sometimes, I would even sleep in my car because I had the weirdest dreams about the patients that lived there.
One of my dreams was about a particular man who I recognised in a photograph when I started to research about its history in depth." :eek:

When I saw this headline I wasn't sure whether it was referring to on-site roasting of departed spirits or charity food service for spooks down on their luck. :litg:
Kroger to open ghost kitchens at U.S. grocery stores this fall

The largest grocery store chain in the United States announced on Wednesday that it's teaming up with a startup to place ghost kitchens in some supermarkets, starting this fall. ...
Ghost kitchens, or shadow kitchens, are businesses that prepare and sell food for delivery only.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2021/08/04/kroger-ghost-kitchens/5221628081010/

This is most worrying...

"Tigray rebels take control of UNESCO World Heritage Site Lalibela"

0017f379-800.jpg

"Rebels from Ethiopia's war-hit Tigray region have seized Lalibela, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in the neighbouring Amhara region famous for its 12th-century stone churches.

The development came as a senior Amhara official said the rebels, known as the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), were pushing into Amhara territory and hinted at possible retaliation.

"I believe now, enough is enough. Because the TPLF is no more in Tigray. TPLF is moving deep into Amhara territories," said Amhara deputy president Fanta Mandefro.

"We need to defend our people," he added.

The TPLF's weeks-long push beyond Tigray has drawn criticism from world leaders and, according to Ethiopian officials, displaced hundreds of thousands of civilians."

From RTE News (Irish national broadcaster).

One of these unique rock-hewn churches is alleged to be the resting place of the Ark of the Covenant, as told by the legend of the the Queen of Sheba, and her son Menelik, who is said to have spirited the ark away some time around 1000BC.

It would be a tragic loss to the architectural and cultural wealth of the world if these were to be lost in a regional power struggle.

Back