Fortean Headlines

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Children's Film Foundation movie in the making

Or already made, sort of.
My brother worked on a CFF film back in the 80s IIRC, which was called 'High Rise Donkey' about a group of kids that hide a Donkey in their tower block to protect it from someone or something (I can't quite recall the plot but it was probably some devilish property developer).
I shall search t'interweb and see if I can turn up anything.

Ahah!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386509/
The efforts of three children, who live in high rise flats, to save a donkey from two small-time crooks who want to sell it as horsemeat, by providing a temporary stable for the donkey in the block of high-rise flats.

It had all the stars of the day in it, Pat Coombs, Alfie Bass, Roy Kinnear, Wilfred Bramble.....

and

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
This really is a 1960s Children's Film Foundation movie in the making, with Jack Wild and Sally Thomsett in flares escaping with Geronimo by night and smuggling him cross-country with Ron Moody in pursuit as an evil Home Office Vet.

(theme tune, "Keep Your Wool On, Daddy-o", by Russ Thimble and the Sowers available on Decca. 2'6d.)
At the end, Jenny Agutter waves her knickers around in protest and Victor Maddern says ‘Well, we can hardly kill it now, can we?’

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
Reaction score
A mom, Dad, toddler, and their dog are all dead after a hiking trip in Northern California.

A California Family Dies Under Mysterious Circumstances. Toxic Algae May Be To Blame​

SAN FRANCISCO — Investigators are considering whether toxic algae blooms or other hazards may have contributed to the deaths of a Northern California couple, their baby and the family dog on a remote hiking trail, authorities said.

The area in the Sierra National Forest where the bodies were found on Tuesday had been treated as a hazmat site after concerns were raised about the deaths being linked to potentially toxic gases from old mines nearby.

But the hazmat declaration was lifted Wednesday, and Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese said he didn't believe the mines were a factor, the Fresno Bee reported Thursday.

"This is a very unusual, unique situation," said Kristie Mitchell, a spokesperson for the sheriff's office. "There were no signs of trauma, no obvious cause of death. There was no suicide note."

More https://www.npr.org/2021/08/20/1029...ious-circumstances-toxic-algae-may-be-to-blam

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Pulitzer Prize reporting here!
238140078_4683810951663871_4133963459595383759_n.jpg

Trevp666

Reaction score
To be fair, it is the Kent and Sussex courier.
Distance from Kent to Cornwall is considerable, even for a car journey in the UK.
I expect that doing the journey by bus is quite remarkable, as a single route between the counties would not exist, thus requiring some impressive route-planning.
I'm not sure of the start and end points of his journey, but the distance from Truro to Maidstone (the county towns) by road is 293 miles.
The website 'Rome2rio' lists the various ways of getting from one to the other, Bus, Train, Driving and even flying, and a combination of all.
The option of using mostly the bus, is the cheapest but longest journey, at £29 for 9 hours & 16 minutes.
Driving in a car is the quickest way, at 5 hours & 3 minutes.
Flying, which would also require some use of buses and/or trains, comes in at a little over 6 hours and also is NOT the most expensive!
No, that is reserved for Trains alone, which if we were really going to try and encourage people to ditch their cars should work out as the cheapest and quickest option, but unfortunately (if you took the option of travelling through Exeter), it would cost between £129 - £358 and you would not arrive at your destination for (a minute short of) 8 hours.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
To be fair, it is the Kent and Sussex courier.
Distance from Kent to Cornwall is considerable, even for a car journey in the UK.
I expect that doing the journey by bus is quite remarkable, as a single route between the counties would not exist, thus requiring some impressive route-planning.
I'm not sure of the start and end points of his journey, but the distance from Truro to Maidstone (the county towns) by road is 293 miles.
The website 'Rome2rio' lists the various ways of getting from one to the other, Bus, Train, Driving and even flying, and a combination of all.
The option of using mostly the bus, is the cheapest but longest journey, at £29 for 9 hours & 16 minutes.
Driving in a car is the quickest way, at 5 hours & 3 minutes.
Flying, which would also require some use of buses and/or trains, comes in at a little over 6 hours and also is NOT the most expensive!
No, that is reserved for Trains alone, which if we were really going to try and encourage people to ditch their cars should work out as the cheapest and quickest option, but unfortunately (if you took the option of travelling through Exeter), it would cost between £129 - £358 and you would not arrive at your destination for (a minute short of) 8 hours.
With a bus pass it's possible to do it for free, but it will take a long time

Sharon Hill

Reaction score
A mom, Dad, toddler, and their dog are all dead after a hiking trip in Northern California.

A California Family Dies Under Mysterious Circumstances. Toxic Algae May Be To Blame​

SAN FRANCISCO — Investigators are considering whether toxic algae blooms or other hazards may have contributed to the deaths of a Northern California couple, their baby and the family dog on a remote hiking trail, authorities said.

The area in the Sierra National Forest where the bodies were found on Tuesday had been treated as a hazmat site after concerns were raised about the deaths being linked to potentially toxic gases from old mines nearby.

But the hazmat declaration was lifted Wednesday, and Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese said he didn't believe the mines were a factor, the Fresno Bee reported Thursday.

"This is a very unusual, unique situation," said Kristie Mitchell, a spokesperson for the sheriff's office. "There were no signs of trauma, no obvious cause of death. There was no suicide note."

More https://www.npr.org/2021/08/20/1029...ious-circumstances-toxic-algae-may-be-to-blam
The San Fran Chronicle (turn off JavaScript to read) hints that some people are thinking it might be related to other bad things that happened in the area - first mention of Mariposa Bermuda Triangle. Also, it was in an area known as "Devil Gulch".

“They’re so young, those people — something’s weird,” Murdock said, standing behind her tray of glazed doughnuts. “Everyone is shocked. This is a very safe town. It’s like Mayberry up here.”

Despite the sleepy vibe, Mariposa and the Hites Cove Trail have a dark side, she said. One of her regulars, calls it the “Mariposa Bermuda Triangle.”

Three years ago when the Ferguson Fire swept through the valley, burning more than 96,000 acres, a firefighter rolled his dozer down a ravine along the Hites Cove Road stretch of the trail and died. The north side of the trail empties out onto Highway 140 and the Yosemite Cedar Lodge, a notorious landmark.

In 1999, serial killer Cary Stayner was working as a handyman at the motel when he murdered 42-year-old Carole Sund; her daughter, 15-year-old Juli Sund; Juli's friend, 16-year-old Argentine exchange student Silvina Pelosso; and Yosemite Institute employee Joie Ruth Armstrong. Sund and the teens had been staying at the motel.

Trevp666

Reaction score
With a bus pass it's possible to do it for free, but it will take a long time
I expect the bus pass would not cover the 'National Express' route listed, so you would have to engage in a series of short hops from one town to the next.
Indeed, once you include the amount of time you might have to wait at a stop for the next leg of your journey, and the frequency (or lack) of services, this could run into several days.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
The San Fran Chronicle (turn off JavaScript to read) hints that some people are thinking it might be related to other bad things that happened in the area - first mention of Mariposa Bermuda Triangle. Also, it was in an area known as "Devil Gulch".

Devil Gulch doesn't sound like an inland Bermuda Triangle, though, it sounds like somewhere Roy Rogers would head you off at the pass.

Sharon Hill

Reaction score
Devil Gulch doesn't sound like an inland Bermuda Triangle, though, it sounds like somewhere Roy Rogers would head you off at the pass.
Totally! Dozens of "devil" named places around there. Is not far from Mount Diabolo. People thought it was a god-forsaken land, I guess. Then they found gold.

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
I expect that doing the journey by bus is quite remarkable
Try going from Ohio to California. And the "food"! The "food" along the way can kill you . . .
Indeed, once you include the amount of time you might have to wait at a stop for the next leg of your journey, and the frequency (or lack) of services, this could run into several days.
Sounds familiar, even for a trip across a city . . .

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
An odd headline but a sensible one...

Sri Lanka bans drunk driving of elephants as part of new protection laws​

Sri Lanka has introduced new animal protection laws that require domestic elephants to have their own biometric identity cards and ban riders from drinking on the job.
  • There are about 200 domesticated elephants in Sri Lanka
  • The new laws also protect elephants used in the logging and tourism industries
  • Those who break the new laws could face up to three years in prison
The new measures, aimed to protect the animals' welfare, include strict regulations around working elephants and mandate a daily two-and-a-half-hour bath for each creature.

Many Sri Lankans keep elephants as pets as a symbol of wealth.

But recently, there has been an increased number of complaints about ill treatment and cruelty of the endangered species.
ABC News: Sri Lanka bans drunk driving of elephants as part of new protection laws. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-23/sri-lanka-bans-drunk-driving-of-elephants/100398526

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score