• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fortean Headlines

Texarkana: Texas town hit by bizarre rainstorm of fish

"When two storms approached the city of Texarkana on the Texas border with Arkansas on Wednesday afternoon, most people carried on with their day..."

Via Independent.co.uk.
newFile-12.jpg

Stolen property, income from illegal activities must be reported on taxes, IRS says

Income made through criminal activity must be reported on your taxes, according to the Internal Revenue Service.

The IRS said individuals who earned a profit from illegal activities, such as drug dealing or bribes, must include it in their 2021 filings. It is to be included in Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 8z, or on Schedule C (Form 1040) if from a self-employment activity.

Additionally, thieves must report the value of the property they stole.

iu

"If you steal property, you must report its fair market value in your income in the year you steal it unless you return it to its rightful owner in the same year," the IRS said.

The office didn’t offer details on how it would enforce this policy...

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/s...activities-must-be-reported-on-taxes-irs-says

maximus otter
This has been the law for years - quite possibly as long as the U.S. has had income tax. Many gangsters go to prison not because of the host of crimes we identify with them - often difficult to prove - but because of tax evasion. If avoiding tax on ill-gotten gains wasn't illegal, the authorities would have to either prove the crimes themselves, or prove that a person's fortune was earned through some other taxable method, which wouldn't actually be true.

This has been the law for years - quite possibly as long as the U.S. has had income tax. Many gangsters go to prison not because of the host of crimes we identify with them - often difficult to prove - but because of tax evasion. If avoiding tax on ill-gotten gains wasn't illegal, the authorities would have to either prove the crimes themselves, or prove that a person's fortune was earned through some other taxable method, which wouldn't actually be true.

Al Capone Convicted …In 1931 After Boasting, ‘They Can’t Collect Legal Taxes From Illegal Money’​

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyp...-cant-collect-legal-taxes-from-illegal-money/

I think it was them being cheap. They used to have round pins but changed around mid century (I think) to the rectangular ones we have now.
We moved in the early 1970s from a 1960s-built council house in Bath to a 1940s-built council house, which - for reasons nobody seems to know - had very bizarre Wylex sockets. These were very much a non-standard design, certainly in our part of the country.

I'm guessing all our appliances had to be rewired.

https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/Wylex1.html
Wylex-socket-3KW.jpg

We moved in the early 1970s from a 1960s-built council house in Bath to a 1940s-built council house, which - for reasons nobody seems to know - had very bizarre Wylex sockets. These were very much a non-standard design, certainly in our part of the country.

View attachment 50259
How odd, maybe that’s where the buy your own plug comes from if there were different plugs. But it was still going for ages when there was only one. I do laugh how they give you a diagram to wired it today but half the time they are sealed so you’d have a hard time actually making use of the instructions and how many have been plugged in with that cardboard bit attached?

I think when electricity was pretty new there was a lot of plugging into light fittings. I got a singer that suggested you convert it to electric and plug it in there. The problem with that is you lose the light. I’m sure I had a toy iron that pretended to do that. But I’m not sure why I’m not that old. Still if it was plugged in up there you wouldn’t recrease it with the cable like I am very good at.

View attachment 50259
Another old plug listed one of the pins is the fuseo_O

https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/DormanSmith1.html

which - for reasons nobody seems to know - had very bizarre Wylex sockets
If none of the other properties in the area had them, the only explanation I can think of is that somebody moved into that house at some point and all of the appliances they brought with them had that sort of plug on, so it was cheaper to change the sockets than all the plugs?

I think when electricity was pretty new there was a lot of plugging into light fittings. ... The problem with that is you lose the light.

When I was growing up in the U.S. it was still popular to use a doohickey that screwed into the light socket. It had regular electrical sockets on the sides and another light socket at the other end. You still had the socket for the bulb, but could use the plug sockets for your iron or whatnot. The light was switched on or off with a pullchain, as were most of the regular light fixtures in my home anyway. I don't ever remember checking to see if the circuit - or the doohickey - could handle the load.

Edit: Looks like these are still around.
Socket adapter.jpg

Last edited:
If none of the other properties in the area had them, the only explanation I can think of is that somebody moved into that house at some point and all of the appliances they brought with them had that sort of plug on, so it was cheaper to change the sockets than all the plugs?
If I remember rightly, and this was the early 70s so that's not guaranteed, I think all the houses (c120 at a guess) on the estate had them. Certainly the local hardware shop sold them, so I don't think it was just us.

Acording to the plugsocketmusem website: "[Wylex] plugs and sockets have been used in both public buildings and homes, but only in parts of Britain and never on a large scale. In the early years of computerization they also have been used in local circuits that provide for an uninterrupted power supply without voltage spikes."

And from Wikipedia: "Wylex sockets were used in council housing and public sector buildings and, for a short time, in private housing. They were particularly popular in the Manchester area, although they were installed throughout England, mainly in schools, university accommodation, and government laboratories."

Real life lassie leads cops to injured men
(From the Grauniad.)

"New Hampshire police officers were engaged in a low-speed dog-chase on a highway along the state’s border with Vermont when they discovered that a real-life Lassie was leading them to rescue two men thrown from a truck and suffering from hypothermia.

The driver, Cam Laundry, 31, and his passenger, Justin Connors, 40, were found injured but alive on Monday thanks to Tinsley, Laundry’s canine companion. Another dog, Connors’ bulldog, was hit by a car and found dead on the side of the road after the accident.

Captain Tim Cohen of the Lebanon police department said Laundry’s truck appeared to have fallen from the embankment into the woods “in such a way that it would not normally have been seen by a passing motorist”.

“It’s pretty incredible that we were able to help these men, not even knowing that they were there to begin with. It was a good stroke of luck,” Cohen said. “The dog definitely played a large part in this because it drew our attention to that area.”

The two friends were heading back home from dinner before the car accident. Laundry was not wearing a seatbelt and was charged with driving under the influence. He called the incident “a wake-up call”.

“I couldn’t believe the amount of intelligence she had to know that we were in distress and kind of do a Lassie-thing and go get help,” Laundry told the Guardian. “I’m still trying to recollect everything that happened. She’s a little guardian angel.”

Back